Deer Bullets for a .222

Brian243

What bullets will kill roe and muntjac sized deer humanely without excessive carcass damage when body shot? I'm assuming that bullets like 60gr Partitions and the Barnes TSX will not stabilise at .222 velocities in a 1:14 twist barrel so what are the alternative 'deer' bullets that are being used?

You will not go wrong with 55grn Sierra SP Gamekings for deer, especially at 222 velocity I would imagine.

Both my mate and I have used them in 22-250's at Roe going a fair bit quicker and any damage was acceptable.

I would also look at the 50 & 55 grain Hornady SP's for hand loading in factory the Sako 55 grain Game head shot well in mine and is designed for Roe Buck.

55 Sierra GameKings seem to do the job.Well really most 55grain soft point do a good job. I wouldnt recommend VMax,too explosive.Keep them for the foxes.

Hi,
I have some Nosler partitions. I am thinking of parting company with my 270 and just keeping a 222 for CWD, munty, fox and other vermin. Not tried them yet but got them from America.

Ian

Hi Brian,I use sako 55gr gamehead .222 for roe sometimes when im north of the border,I"ve never had any problems with them,just know its limitations though.
Atb john.

Used PPU Privi Partisan in 50g soft point on muntjac in .222 and they are pretty good, provided your rifle likes them.

Tried 55g and 60g but my CZ527 would'nt shoot them as well as 50g,and thats a 19" barrel 1 in 14.

Many Thanks for the helpfull replies everone. These give me a good pointer on the way to go.

Brian

sako 55gr are available from Reloading Solutions in Oxfordshire
Sierra produce a 55gr and 63gr semi-pointed varminter bullet. these have a ticker jacket than some of the 'blitzkings' and other varmint bullets. Tese are available from Norman Clark in Rugby

I have used hornady 52 grn hollow point boat tail match for 15 years with 20.5 grains of reloader 7 never had a problem with any roe Shot in all that time

I have used hornady 52 grn hollow point boat tail match for 15 years with 20.5 grains of reloader 7 never had a problem with any roe Shot in all that time

Then you have been breaking the law by using a target bullet rather than "Rifle bullets should be of an expanding type designed to deform in a predictable manner." Quote taken from best practise guidance note rather than the legislation for speed of access. jb7x57 I presume that the reference to match bullet was a typing error.:doh:

Last edited:
If you want to use a projectile that will give expansion and complete penetration in your .222 and stabilise in the 1:12 bbl, try the barnes tsx at 52 gn.

8x57, if you dig a few of those hornady, speer and sierra hp out of medium game or wet phone books etc you will see they expand quite nicely if you have some velocity at impact. They behave just like the plastic tip vmax and Nosler BTs but without the plastic point.

Yes we all know that all bullets expand to some extent Mountainstalker but there are certain requirements under the various deer acts in the U.K. that mean that we have to use soft nosed or hollow point bullets to kill deer. While there may be a small opening in the nose of match type bullets such bullets aren't regarded as being "expanding missiles" under our legislation and as such it is not normallly legal to use them for killing deer.

Another point is that we have enough idiotic regulations regards shooting and live quarry so please don't give them reason to dream up more controls. If your going to use bullets not deemed suitable/lawful by the powers that be just don't tell so on open forums and especially one monitored by the Police and licensing departments of certain forces :doh:. I can only speak for myself on here but frankly if your going to flout the regulations I don't want to hear about it.

Guys, I feel sorry for you, hate to argue reason against stupidity. On the topic the little barnes solid copper bullets work really wel on small deer if they are legal there. Stabilise nicely in the slow twist .222 sako bbls also.

Although expensive in comparison to 'normal' bullets, the Barnes copper bullets interest me in the .222 with their potential for reduced carcass damage particularly if a bone is struck. I contacted Barnes and their information is that both their .224" 45 and 50 gr TSX FB bullets will stabilise in a 1:14 twist barrel and will expand at velocities down to 1,900 fps. This velocity is retained to just over 250 yards in the .222 if the 45 and 50 gr bullets can be loaded as per the Barnes reloading data for muzzle velocities of 3,200 and 3,000 fps respectively. However, it is worth bearing in mind that bullet energy declines quite quickly and will have fallen to around 400 ft lbs at 250 yards. So accurately placed, these bullets look to have real potential in the .222 for small deer at sensible ranges.

HI Guys

I posted a similar thread to this s few months ago in respect of roe here in Scotland. I have manged to acquire some 50 gn Sp Selliot & Bellot heads from GMK which are just like the 50 gn heads used in Norma ammo. I am having a bit of difficulty working up a load as they are not grouping with my usual Re 7 recipes for foxes. Worth contacting your dealer to see if they can get them for you Brian243. Any suggestions for a suitable load with these heads are welcome lads.

Thanks
Alan

Back