Im Alright Jack

Monument veiw

Iam alright Jack , i was just reading another thread concerning a keeper who lost his job , home etc . Over the yrs this guy must have had dealings with 100s if not 1000s of shooters all of which at that time would have called him a friend , good bloke etc .
The previous thread made me think back over the yrs to all the people ive bent over backwards to help and how many have or would do the same for me and the truth is i could count them on 1 hand . I would never give to recieve or ever think of reminding them .

I suppose the point i am trying to make is that the I AM ALRIGHT JACK attitude seems more common place than ever before not just because of the reccession but because of the way society has become .
If every person done another a good turn today ( without reward ) and carried on doing so on a daily bases .

How long would it be before we all lived in a better community ?

I do it on a daily basis.... people walk into the garage wanting a bulb fitting or oil level checking and I do it FOC, I lend people tools and let them put air in their tyres using my compressor which runs on electric that I pay for, they think air is free. I lent someone my pigeon decoys last July and I haven't seen them since.
The problem you describe stems from people taking the P155 :evil:

Iam alright Jack , i was just reading another thread concerning a keeper who lost his job , home etc . Over the yrs this guy must have had dealings with 100s if not 1000s of shooters all of which at that time would have called him a friend , good bloke etc .
The previous thread made me think back over the yrs to all the people ive bent over backwards to help and how many have or would do the same for me and the truth is i could count them on 1 hand . I would never give to recieve or ever think of reminding them .

I suppose the point i am trying to make is that the I AM ALRIGHT JACK attitude seems more common place than ever before not just because of the reccession but because of the way society has become .
If every person done another a good turn today ( without reward ) and carried on doing so on a daily bases .

How long would it be before we all lived in a better community ?

I think you raise a very valid point .
I recently invited a good friend on a very expensive day on the pheasants asked why I had done so I replied with the quote that you
can in a lifetime count real friends on one hand and he had in the past been there for me if i had needed him as i had for him
I did not give to recieve just wanted his company in a friendly team of guns that made for a great day
regards pete .

Me too but it’s often not reciprocated. I leant someone my sack of pigeon decoys a few years back which also contained a spare box of cartridges for emergencies. Next time I used the decoys I discovered that 30 had become 28 and the cartridges were no more. I kept quiet until the cheeky t**t asked if he could borrow them again! :rofl:
I should add that the keeper I help out now has been as good as his word. He even took me out to shoot my first roe last week. So don't lose heart. Sometimes you meet someone just like yourself and everything clicks into place.

Last edited:
I think it must stem back to the education system (i left school in 1976) and the way we were brought up by our parents.
I was always taught values both at school and at home.
I will always help people out when i can, as you have said, even when it costs you money yourself.
Prime example is by a river bank, people often ask my advice, this usually ends up with me giving away flies, leaders etc
Provided it doesn't interfere with my paying client i will always help out, especially with children, the future of our sport, but i digress.
What also annoys me is plain good old manners, or lack of, when i get a communication (and i get lots either stalking or fly fishing), i always reply, by phone,email or pm.
The amount of time i send out details at a request and never get a reply, even if they dont decide to go with me just a simple 'thank you' doesnt go a miss, or just an acknowledgement.
Cheers
Richard

Bajuio , my nature to help others is deep seated as i grew up with my grand parents and thier values rubbed of on me ( something i am very proud of ) .
when i decided to get involved in stalking it was a friend of a friend that mentored me and showed me the ropes , he has never made me feel in his det and has become a very good friend if there was more like him around this world the world would be a much better place ( thanks P )

Last edited:
There are not many of us good guys left and after getting my pants pulled down a few times i am not going to be a good guy much longer
.GOD THIS SPORT IS FULL OF TAKERS.

There are not many of us good guys left and after getting my pants pulled down a few times i am not going to be a good guy much longer
.GOD THIS SPORT IS FULL OF TAKERS.

True, but I have been amazed by the generosity of certain forum members recently... it's rather humbling don't you think?

Devon deer stalker I couldn’t agree more with your sentiments but have to say that things have changed for the worst unfortunately.
For instance schools no longer set a good example. I have been dealing with quite a few schools over the last six months. I frequently send an email to the headteacher confirming that I will be attending the school at a certain time and date and informing them of the information that will need to be made available when I visit. Only one school which happens to be a fee paying public school ever bothers to acknowledge receipt or confirms the appointment or even bothers to thank me for advanced information.

I went and saw the chap today , collected some terriers so at least their safe if he needs them back , in conversation it turns out none of the guns , pickers up , beaters , deer stalkers or pigeon shooters have been in touch with him snice , safe a couple i think . I know this chap has given his life to his job and given alot up to do so , now he has nothing to offer nobody calls , ive seen this with keepers who retire and it must be a bugger for them . I gave him some shells for the next hare shoot and told him to be there , you never know when you might need a hand , so bare it in mind next your arguing about some medal class deer or such rubbish

You are correct SI there are some real nice chaps but not many look at the stats its the same 10 out of thousands of members that seem to help people out with charity stalks and helping others.

Sadly I have no stalking to offer so do what I can in a quiet way. No need to shout about it those who have received help know so do I and that's all that really need to.

I think you have to believe in karma, and that someday you will be repaid. I had a so called mate of 30yrs who asked if I could put his heifers in with my bull, I did but after 14 months of promising to pick them up I sold them for him with calves at foot, his dad came to collect the cheque and not a word of the so called mate.strange thing is we share 150 acres of stalking, I met him the other day and he asked if I had shot any deer as he had not seen any, strange thing is I get one or two every time I go there now that's karma.

I think it depends on where you live and the society you move within. Round here it's very good. Folk just help each other out, without question on the whole.
I give a lot of my time for free, but I don't necessarily expect to recieve a return favour from the person I've helped - it all circulates within the community, and someone else will do me a good turn sometime.

Gents,

I'm of the younger generation but was bought up by my father from the age of 12 when my mother found herself a new life. Being old enough (just) to understand the basics of what was going on it shaped my morals, my father wasted no time in getting me a Saturday job at 13 helping out a family friend with his small holding ( where dagging sheep and hay making/bale carting was part of every summer - I looked forward to the cash!!

14 I started to work for a local farmer in my spare time £3 an hour - but the farmer was not your ordinary bloke he was of aristocratic decent and possibly one of the most eccentric people I've met, yet the most honest dependable friend I've ever had. He taught me to drive (tractor then car) even bus - as he had a sideline business providing sound systems to local horse shows etc where I learnt all about PA systems, engine maintenance and horses! His wife bred Hunters and ride for England some 30 years ago, as still does 12 hour days and still hunts every week.

I've built team chase courses with him at Kirtlington and Newton Percil for the Bicester Hunt, and helped on their own farm put on charity events around their own cross country course ( which I helped to build). He has taught me so much, at the same time I know his morals have brushed off on me, like for example if I borrow something I always return it when I say I will - usually cleaned. I even cleaned my mates crap shooting truck when I borrowed it - which he's never cleaned.

It's all about how you were bought up, and the environment you were brought up in. I've let two people off hitting my car since Jan last year, yet I had some try to claim against me when they hit my car in a car park!!

I always smile when I let a pregnant woman take my tube seat-although the looks I get are not always good-

Tom

Last edited:
like monument i was brought up by grand parents and their morals and values are still with me thank god
and in a way i am glad they are no longer here to see what most of society is like today they would be mortified

trouble i hope your keeper friends luck changes poor bugger dosent deserve what happend to him

tommo well said and well done not many of us left

Back