Are we kidding ourselves?

RED-DOT

We had a hound pack on our wee shoot a fortnight ago and it was basically 24 guns positioned around the drives and i was in an elevated position with my rifle watching for a safe runner. Most of the standing guns had Mossey Oak or Shadow grass cammo on and some had plain green clothes on. The Cammo guys stuck out like a sore thumb where the all green guys were really blending in against the woodlands which makes me think all that American cammo gear may have fooled the buyer more than the intended quarry. All this Americanisation of our sport seems to be to catch the wallet rather than the animal??

Surely it all depends on the cover.If i was wearing green in a pile of dead leaves i would nearly most certainly stick oot more than if i was wearing realtree cammo.Not that i usually lie in dead leaves,but it should give an inkling to what im getting at.On the price front,i have American cammo that cost less than a ton,and Harkila green that cost a bomb.

We had a hound pack on our wee shoot a fortnight ago and it was basically 24 guns positioned around the drives and i was in an elevated position with my rifle watching for a safe runner. Most of the standing guns had Mossey Oak or Shadow grass cammo on and some had plain green clothes on. The Cammo guys stuck out like a sore thumb where the all green guys were really blending in against the woodlands which makes me think all that American cammo gear may have fooled the buyer more than the intended quarry. All this Americanisation of our sport seems to be to catch the wallet rather than the animal??
I think that Cammo is really intended for humans to fool humans with, Wolves, Bears & Foxes all seem to manage remarkably well without it.

I kinda agree but to compare some of the US crap with a Harkila coat ain't really fair. The local countryside around here is green with shades of brown so wearing a mainly white or cream coloured shadow grass coat is working against you? The "Rivers West" stuff is everywhere you look at the moment and i think ive had enough of trying to look like vegetation and i think it looks very much now like poachers attire having taken over from Army surplus DPM.

Last edited:
I see where you are coming from too,but i dont think its the actual cammo that adds the price more the brand.Also,ive a few Yank dvds of deer hunting and stuff and their foliage always seems to look less green and more ideal for a cammo set up.As usual,there will be folk here that buy it for the sake of it when nay need for it but for some situations it does blend better,even though again theres probably no need for it.

I think cammo looks cheap an nasty dose it help not a bit. Posers looking like Rambo and think its cool. If you want to blend in were i go you need to get a red jogging suit and a pair of Nike trainers :camo:

I was speaking to Alec Hogg, Chairman of the SGA a few years ago about this cammo thing, and he said he remembers a field test being done on what is the most effective. Believe it or not the colours were not as important as breaking up the recognisable outline of a human, and the most effective clothing in doing this from a distance was a suit with differing coloured solid colours in sections. One arm one colour, the body another, the legs different colours and so on, all with mixed shades od browns or greens. Close up it looked a bit like a harlequin pattern but at distance you could not make out it was a man standing against the cover.

amazing how good marketing catches folk out!!!

harlequin does not best describe it actually, probably battenberg design (prob wrong spelling but you know what I mean)

Last edited:
I dislike cammo mostly on aesthetic grounds although I do wear a Max4 pattern Rivers West jacket for wildfowling. The pattern's not really relevant though because everything rapidly becomes mud coloured. But it does take very little space in my rucksack, which is handy when you're a London-based wildfowler using public transport. I can easily change out of Rambo hear, and back into 'urban camo'!

I'm sure I heard somewhere that a study (years back) found that the colour that provoked the least reaction, when seen by deer, was blue:confused:

Hey jammy i had a jumper like that in the mid seventy,s will need to see if i still have it :rofl: Jesus i cant see there head of hands and she has no threpny bits got to get me some of the Batten burgh design. :oops:

KGrHqRokE63r1qSRBO0N8dZsZw60_1.jpg

I once read that the best mesh for a pigeon hide was the orange netting used to keep the public out of holes in the street... Here is my new lamping vehicle.

Last edited:
I think cammo looks cheap an nasty dose it help not a bit. Posers looking like Rambo and think its cool. If you want to blend in were i go you need to get a red jogging suit and a pair of Nike trainers :camo:

You forgot the Burberry baseball cap :rofl:

Hey jammy i had a jumper like that in the mid seventy,s will need to see if i still have it :rofl: Jesus i cant see there head of hands and she has no threpny bits got to get me some of the Batten burgh design. :oops:

KGrHqRokE63r1qSRBO0N8dZsZw60_1.jpg

you really are Val Doonican!!!

tell you what, that's about 2" snow now lying with me and I am about to head out for some hinds. as I have no snow suit I am going to wrap myself up in loo roll...

Earlier on in the season i went up onto my shoot and had a walk down one of the rides,getting to the end of the short ride I spooked two sika hinds with their calfs to my left. I moved on just a couple of more yards to the end of the tree line and to my right out in the open were three more hinds no more than fifty yards away all looking at me. I just stood still. after staring at me what seemed for ages they all put their heads down and carried on feeding. I was wearing a black coat, black trousers oh and a black lab sat next to me.I backed away slowly untill I was out of sight and left them to it. I swear that they could not make me out in those colours.

An old friend wont answer the door without something cammo on, sleeps under a cammo duvet and buys his wife cammo g strings (god only knows why he told me that - far too much info!).

I no longer buy cammo!

General shooting - pigeon/rabbit etc no notable difference at all and I can wear the same kit on a more formal pheasant shoot day.

Back