What parts of guns NEED to be stored in a cabinet?

Oly

Was chatting with a friend the other night and we came across the above interesting question...

Rifles are pretty clear, swapping barrels are licensed and should therefore be in, actions and bolts likewise, but as far as we were aware only the actions of shotguns are licenced. Which raised the question - can the barrels and forestocks therefore be stored elsewhere to free up space in the cabinet if required?

I would include any equipment or part of a firearm that enables the use of such , to go into secure storage, Moderators, Magazines, etc.

I always understood that "pressure bearing" components have to be secured. e.g. barrels,actions etc. Magazines, detached woodwork,slings etc. can be unsecured although someone more knowledgable might correct me on this. atb.Tim

I included Magazines, as they are an integral part, enabling a rifle to be made more useful, rather than being in a single round situation,or dropping one in to the breech shotgun style.

Yep, my mods that are on ticket go in, mags I'm not so fussed. Never heard about the pressure bearing bit before. Shotgun barrels inparticular aren't on ticket (you can even buy one gun with two sets of barrels and think it's still only recorded as one gun) and they would create quite a space saving.

Yep, my mods that are on ticket go in, mags I'm not so fussed. Never heard about the pressure bearing bit before. Shotgun barrels inparticular aren't on ticket (you can even buy one gun with two sets of barrels and think it's still only recorded as one gun) and they would create quite a space saving.
I vaguely recall that before they were banned you could buy kits to assemble a revolving shotgun, made up it looked a bit like a Colt peacemaker with a brass frame, detachable stock and 24" barrel . The stock, lock components & frame could be bought without a SGC and the cylinder & barrel with a SGC. Regretably when the ban came in I had only partly made components.atb Tim

There's no 'law' to say a shotgun even has to be kept in a cabinet. However you are required to store all 'component parts' securely.

And the "component parts" referred to are those that are integral to the firing of the weapon, and/or are pressure bearing. So a barrel is included, a magazine probably isn't (but then detachable magazines aren't allowed for shot guns under an SGC). Personally all rifle magazines are secured in the ammunition safe, mainly because it means I don't forget to pick them up when I take the ammunition out of the safe.

And the "component parts" referred to are those that are integral to the firing of the weapon, and/or are pressure bearing. So a barrel is included, a magazine probably isn't (but then detachable magazines aren't allowed for shot guns under an SGC). Personally all rifle magazines are secured in the ammunition safe, mainly because it means I don't forget to pick them up when I take the ammunition out of the safe.
I was able to buy the rimfire magic CZ trigger kits without producing my FAC so presumably they do not have to be secured?

I would have thought it was the bits you need to produce a cert to buy, so mags triggers furniture no

The only part of a rifle that MUST be locked up is the (rifled) barrel. If the weapon is disassembled, you can leave the rest on the living room floor if you want to, quite legally.
Obviously, if the weapon is fully assembled, then it is a moot point.

Back