Electronic Ear Defenders - Advice please

Roe Hunter

Becoming gradually increasingly hard of hearing, I am considering buying some electronic ear defenders for both deer stalking and shotgun shooting.

My thinking is 'you can buy ear defenders, but you can't buy back lost hearing', so not necesarily looking for the lowest cost ones - rather the ones that perform best when stalking or shooting woodies, crows etc, without completely breaking the bank.

Due to frequent ear infections, I would prefer the 'full ear enclosure' type rather than in-ear type.

I have heard that some can amplify the ambient sounds (making it easier to hear potential quarry or danger sounds) and give good directional sense, whilst still protecting your ears, but some brands can also get in the way when mounting a shotgun.

Would be very grateful if anyone could give any experience / advice on which ones to consider.

Thanks

RH

I decided on some Deben Slim Electronic Ear Defenders 4 years ago for use on walked up days and at the clay ground. They have a microphone on each side and volume controls on each side. I find that when used with fresh batteries (2x aaa in each side) they are great. I can hear more and they suppress the sounds of shots well. However when the batteries start to go one side inevitably looses power before the other and hence the sound amplified in that ear is quieter tricking your brain when it comes to direction finding! They also are prone to wind noise, despite the foam covers on the mics. I also find them uncomfortable after a couple of hours of use, maybe I need new pads on them! They are also prone to water ingress and so as part of my post shoot routine I take the covers off, batteries out and let them air.

With the reasons above I don't use them stalking and instead use the in ear type and generally only in the left ear.

Dave

Roe Hunter said:
Becoming gradually increasingly hard of hearing, I am considering buying some electronic ear defenders for both deer stalking and shotgun shooting.

My thinking is 'you can buy ear defenders, but you can't buy back lost hearing', so not necesarily looking for the lowest cost ones - rather the ones that perform best when stalking or shooting woodies, crows etc, without completely breaking the bank.

Due to frequent ear infections, I would prefer the 'full ear enclosure' type rather than in-ear type.

I have heard that some can amplify the ambient sounds (making it easier to hear potential quarry or danger sounds) and give good directional sense, whilst still protecting your ears, but some brands can also get in the way when mounting a shotgun.

Would be very grateful if anyone could give any experience / advice on which ones to consider.

Thanks

RH

Talk to 6.5x55, hes just done a fair bit of research on the full types, Peltor S6 or 7 rings a bell

i WENT WITH PELTOR SPORTS TAC VERY GOOD AND WELL WORTH THE 60 POUNDS OR SO I PAID OFF EBAY

Hi RH,

I bought Green Leopard electronic ear defenders (in ear type) for approximately £160 about 5 years ago. Excellent for picking up even the slightest sound but still protect your ears from the report of the gun, small and don't weigh anything, don't bang off the stock then mounting the gun (partictularly useful when using a shotgun) can't praise them enough. A bit pricey but "your worth it".

Willie

I use Peltor Sport Tac. great bit of kit. I wear them for all shooting. As we use radio's while hunting they can be plugged in the Sport tac.

I find that electronic muffs amplify the slightest noise - including every puff of breeze and the lighest zephyr sounds like Hurricane Katrina arriving.

Tried pretty much all types. Like you I am prone to ear infections. I have found the Napier Pro 9s to be remarkably effective in all situations. Lightweight, low cost, don't impede gun mount. Yes, they are a plug type but they lodge just inside the outer ear and I haven't found them to be a problem.

At £23 (ish) I would give 'em a go.

Thanks to all for your thoughts - think I will have a wander into my local gunsmiths and look / try the ones you are suggesting.

Thanks again to all for your help.

RH

Back