Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stalking sticks: Newbie question

Stalking sticks: Newbie question

I have my DSC.1 in June.

I have never shot off sticks, though I am an experienced long range target shooter off a bipod.

Are purpose-built shooting sticks worth the money, or would improvised ones be of equal value but at lower price?

What brand would the forum recommend?

maximus otter

A couple of green sticks from bq strapped together
    Atb Steve

I am 6'6" tall and shop bought stick are just not high enough, I have two B&Q garden poles with a cut down milking cup that I can slide up and down to set the height, I have also put a few castration rings around each pole to stop them clattering together.

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

It is surprisingly easy to shoot off sticks. Prior to my DSC1 I had only shot prone, bench rest or freehand. Don't worry about it too much.

+1 on the B&Q Garden Canes, extremely sturdy and cheap.

i have two sets of expensive knobloch sticks guess what i made a cheap set from b/q love em much better

+1 for the plastic covered garden canes. You can get them in several lengths and thicknesses. I have had mine for years and love them. I went for the Blue Peter/Boys Own Magazine jobbie..... I cut the points off the bottom and glued walking-stick rubber feet on. I pushed about six inches of rubber heater hose (car) onto and over the top end of them to protect the rifle stock. A packet of rubber grommets as used by electricians at intervals to stop them clicking together and the rubber holder for a lorry exhaust pipe to keep them together. Just to top it off I wrapped them with the fabric cammo tape. You can't beat a home-made lash-up that really works. I have a set of bought triple sticks that usually stay at home, although being telescopic, they are good for shooting when seated.

Being a Yorkshireman and a joiner by trade a piece of 38x20 without knots (tile batten) cut down the center and a kitchen cabinat M&f bolt about 6inches down round the corners cut to length cheap as chips and no drama if you lose them.

Two Hazel sticks and a piece of bicycle inner tube to hold them together.
    I also use a length of trailing rope, when stood upon, to act as a third leg.
    This can also be used as a drag rope when neccessary.

If you click your mouse on the search forum box,fill in the text box with "shooting sticks" or variations of this,choose the option to select "search threads", & you will pull out loads of replies that will help you, Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Thanks to one and all for helping out a newcomer.

It looks like it's garden poles, then!