Stalking sticks: Newbie question

maximus otter

I have my DSC.1 in June.

I have never shot off sticks, though I am an experienced long range target shooter off a bipod.

Are purpose-built shooting sticks worth the money, or would improvised ones be of equal value but at lower price?

What brand would the forum recommend?

maximus otter

I am 6'6" tall and shop bought stick are just not high enough, I have two B&Q garden poles with a cut down milking cup that I can slide up and down to set the height, I have also put a few castration rings around each pole to stop them clattering together.

It is surprisingly easy to shoot off sticks. Prior to my DSC1 I had only shot prone, bench rest or freehand. Don't worry about it too much.

+1 on the B&Q Garden Canes, extremely sturdy and cheap.

i have two sets of expensive knobloch sticks guess what i made a cheap set from b/q love em much better

+1 for the plastic covered garden canes. You can get them in several lengths and thicknesses. I have had mine for years and love them. I went for the Blue Peter/Boys Own Magazine jobbie..... I cut the points off the bottom and glued walking-stick rubber feet on. I pushed about six inches of rubber heater hose (car) onto and over the top end of them to protect the rifle stock. A packet of rubber grommets as used by electricians at intervals to stop them clicking together and the rubber holder for a lorry exhaust pipe to keep them together. Just to top it off I wrapped them with the fabric cammo tape. You can't beat a home-made lash-up that really works. I have a set of bought triple sticks that usually stay at home, although being telescopic, they are good for shooting when seated.

Being a Yorkshireman and a joiner by trade a piece of 38x20 without knots (tile batten) cut down the center and a kitchen cabinat M&f bolt about 6inches down round the corners cut to length cheap as chips and no drama if you lose them.

Two Hazel sticks and a piece of bicycle inner tube to hold them together.
I also use a length of trailing rope, when stood upon, to act as a third leg.
This can also be used as a drag rope when neccessary.

If you click your mouse on the search forum box,fill in the text box with "shooting sticks" or variations of this,choose the option to select "search threads", & you will pull out loads of replies that will help you, Steve.

For nearly 25yrs I have used Ash pitchfork handles split down the middle then jointed by a bolt, when I first started stalking I came across a humble version of these at John Jackson's at Bonchester Bridge (I'm sure John gave the stalking bug to quite a few folk on here..) so I then made my own & have made a few for various members of the stalking syndicates I have been in over the years, I don't know if there is market for these but I will be putting some for sale on the Monarch Country Products web site very soon.

I find them quicker to use than the various telescopic versions and they form the best walking staff you will find.

TwoSticks.jpg

Rgds

Rob

For nearly 25yrs I have used Ash pitchfork handles split down the middle then jointed by a bolt, when I first started stalking I came across a humble version of these at John Jackson's at Bonchester Bridge (I'm sure John gave the stalking bug to quite a few folk on here..) so I then made my own & have made a few for various members of the stalking syndicates I have been in over the years, I don't know if there is market for these but I will be putting some for sale on the Monarch Country Products web site very soon.

I find them quicker to use than the various telescopic versions and they form the best walking staff you will find.

TwoSticks.jpg

Rgds

Rob

That does look very nice. May be interested. How do you split the shaft - bandsaw? Might give it a try.

Hi Apache

I actually do this on a circular saw, the area where your hand grasps is then "shaped" with a spoke shave, also magnets are incorporated to prevent the legs from "slapping", a compass is also inlet into the flat side of the shaft, along with a few coats of Sikens

There's a guy from Sweden who advertises in the BDS magazine who offers a "Bespoke" Ash stick stick, his design differs from mine somewhat & I'm sure he spends many hours crafting his product and sells for a premium price, I'm quite happy to sell you one at a very reasonable rate... ;)

Rgds

Rob

I use a pair of Deerhunter telescopic sticks, I used to use Hazel but they were not quite as stable and flexible for height as the telescopic ones. The only thing that I really have against the B&Q canes is they remind me too much of work.atb Tim:rofl:

have to say that i have a set of green garden canes from hombase with a couple of rubber o'rings around these have shot me hundreds of deer with the Only thing needing to be replaced is the o'rings when the sun gets to them!!!!!:)

Hi Apache

I actually do this on a circular saw, the area where your hand grasps is then "shaped" with a spoke shave, also magnets are incorporated to prevent the legs from "slapping", a compass is also inlet into the flat side of the shaft, along with a few coats of Sikens

There's a guy from Sweden who advertises in the BDS magazine who offers a "Bespoke" Ash stick stick, his design differs from mine somewhat & I'm sure he spends many hours crafting his product and sells for a premium price, I'm quite happy to sell you one at a very reasonable rate... ;)

Rgds

Rob

These look excellent. How much please? PM if you like.

Thanks

Stephen

Back