Who's the bad influence here?

Muir

At the range today there was a young Mennonite couple sighting in a Tikka T-3 in 22-250. They were pretty simple farming folks and showed up with some Winchester “White box” 22-250 and the rifle but that was about it. I lent them a rest and gave them some targets. After firing three, three shot groups the young man announced that the grouping wasn’t what he’d hoped for: About 1.0 -1.4 inches. I suggested that accuracy would be improved with handloads but he said that he didn’t load. I told him that up on the high shelf at the Trading Post was an old N.O.S. Lee Classic Loader in .22-250 with the original $10 price tag on it and that he might want to look into it. They left.

An hour later he returned, pretty young wife in tow, with 20 handloads they’d put together with IMR 4895 under some 55 grain Hornady Ballistic tips while sitting on the tailgate of his pickup truck, parked on the main street of our little town. I told him that I’d never seen anyone jump into reloading as fast as he had and settled down to watch him shoot. He shot five, three shot groups that measured from .3 to .5 inches. I was impressed! He put the gun up with the remaining five rounds in case he met a coyote on the ride to his farm. He then shook my hand and invited me to shoot prairiedogs on his farm whenever I wanted. They left to get an icecream cone before heading back to their place. It was refreshing to meet such a nice young couple.

I couldn't get that Tikka's performance out of my head. I went back to town and ordered a new T-3 in .223. It’s funny the things that happen to you on a warm day at the range…~Muir

There you go agi'n Andy!!!......... buying toys just like one of those ice cream cones!!! Over here?........ not in a million years buddy!

I seem to remember a certain 223 of yours, Douglas pre stressed barrel, single shot and a devastating beast on long range prairie dogs, then you went and sold the bugger, you remember "The Judge" ?

John, down memory lane.

John: These kids were farmers, not builders, but said that they had just bought the local septic pumping business as well. Too bad. I'd have traded off some construction around the homestead! Yes. I remember the Judge. I built it, didn't I?? It was a good shooter.... all 16 pounds of it!

Fatbloke: $500 US delivered. Can't find them used anywhere.....~Muir

I knew it would be upsetting but £320 for a brand new Tikka please tell me it was the base Wooden Stocked and Blued Metalwork model

Does the blued 223 come in two different twist rates?
Which one did you order?
edi

I didn't specify. They do come in 1-12 and 1-8. I don't really care as it's going to be used as a walking rifle and I have bullets from 30 to 80 grains on my shelf. I can accommodate.~Muir

I can't warm to Tikkas, but damn! can they shoot.

I was persuaded to try two through a mate's new Tactical in .308

Here's the rifle:

TikkaT3TacticaleditedPhotoshopped.jpg

As his target was pretty well shot up, I decided to aim at the NSRA printing between two of the bullseyes. After two rounds off the bench at 100 yards, here was the result (lower target):

Targets29920110001.jpg

Trigger and bolt manipulation were both excellent, belying the rifle's price point.

maximus otter

I didn't specify. They do come in 1-12 and 1-8. I don't really care as it's going to be used as a walking rifle and I have bullets from 30 to 80 grains on my shelf. I can accommodate.~Muir

I found out they only import 1-8 to the US now, so that's why I wasn't given an option.~Muir

I found out they only import 1-8 to the US now, so that's why I wasn't given an option.~Muir
You'd get a smooth bore to shoot...
Took me quite a while and a barrel chop to get my 1-8 to shoot. She is a bit fussy on what you feed her. In the meantime I managed
quite a few crows at around 350yds and one at 470yds. 69gr match are preferred or 55gr fiocchi sp.
edi
Image0253.jpg

Last edited:
You'd get a smooth bore to shoot...
Took me quite a while and a barrel chop to get my 1-8 to shoot. She is a bit fussy on what you feed her. In the meantime I managed
quite a few crows at around 350yds and one at 470yds. 69gr match are preferred or 55gr fiocchi sp.
edi
Image0253.jpg

Edi: Thanks. I have some heavy bullets and if it is indeed a 1-8 I'll load accordingly. Should be fun. The rifle will be here tomorrow. It's blizzarding today and the roads are closed so no delivery.

Maximus: You got my attention with that group! That same rifle here is $1300 my cost. The same rifle (as near as I can tell) without the adjustable cheek piece is $795. Got me thinking.....~Muir

Oh dear Muir is thinking..................................... cannot be good ..................................... at least for his wallet :norty:.

Oh dear Muir is thinking..................................... cannot be good ..................................... at least for his wallet :norty:.

Well. True that.
But my Ex does pay me half of her military retirement... I can squeeze a little off to the side here and there. For a worthy cause, of course.:)~Muir

Back