Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, do people stalk in the snow?

So, do people stalk in the snow?

As the tread title says, does anyone go stalking in the snow? I will admit I Would not, but I am a southern softey :-)

yep , got to get your numbers

I hunt in whatever weather I have to, but, being constrained by rather short seasons, I need to make the best of it. I have made my easiest stalks in driving snow storms. Last fall I carefully stalked across relatively open ground to within 40 yards of three feeding whitetails. No mean feat but easier in the blizzard conditions.~Muir

Victoria Australia Sambar country.
    So, do people stalk in the snow?

The Inuit are famous for it

why not ,nothing like getting yr ....frozen off and it looks all pretty too lovely went yesterday saw shed loads of paint ballers and 1 deer

I have been known to venture out every now and then with 7 weeks of the stuff last year and the year before the season would have past me by had i waited till it melted.

As I get older I have realised that I cannot please everyone. But I find I can easy piss every one off.

Stalking in the snow tends to be noisier but if you pay attention to your deer and where you have found them in previous years I find it concentrates them to certain sheltered areas and in some cases makes them easier to find (after about 2 days of it being on the ground)

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Nairn, Inverness-shire
    I will stalk in snow if it's a fresh fall, trying to stalk on old/frozen/thawing snow is like walking on crisp packets, only help would be a good wind to mask the noise.

Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Quote Originally Posted by seibassman View Post
    As the tread title says, does anyone go stalking in the snow? I will admit I Would not, but I am a southern softey :-)
    huh thats good,i have seen me up to my arse in the stuff in october chasing stags,you need to have your wits about you but,in my career i have a had one damaged rifle and one damaged shotgun from snow up the barrel,it happens so quickly,barrels are as short as hell now lol.

Stalking in the snow can be very productive and is one of the times I most enjoy going stalking. In December 2010 when there was snow all around, I had one of my most best ever months. On some of the days there was enough snow to use my snow shoes. Regards JCS