Help - Jammed semi auto s/g

scrun63

Used my knackered neglected Winchester semi last weekend and put it away. When I got it out to clean today the bolt won't pull back. I've taken the barrel off and have pushed it back on with a little force, but nothing happening :-|. I was told by my local RFD that it wasnt cost effective repairing it the last time i had different problems with it. So either it's sort it myself or into the RFD's bin. Any ideas gratefully recieved - to repair it of course :)

Cheers

Scrun

If I recall there is a tang which pivots or is joined on the back of the breach block that slides into a hole in the stock when the action is pulled back to cock the weapon, take the barrel of and pull the breach block forwards , the trigger is held in by two dowl pins that you knock through and that drops out , the gun is now stripped.
Perhaps the pivot tang has siezed , if the tang isnt in the stock hole you can slide the breach in but cant cock the action .

Hope this helps.

Cheers

If I recall there is a tang which pivots or is joined on the back of the breach block that slides into a hole in the stock when the action is pulled back to cock the weapon, take the barrel of and pull the breach block forwards , the trigger is held in by two dowl pins that you knock through and that drops out , the gun is now stripped.
Perhaps the pivot tang has siezed , if the tang isnt in the stock hole you can slide the breach in but cant cock the action .

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Thanks Outback and Trouble - i'll have a go at this when I get the time. Tho I'm not optimistic - I failed CSE metalwork - infact I wasn't even allowed near the files incase I lost a finger :doh:.

Will let you know how many visits to casualty it takes

Cheers

Scrun

Hiya alliS

Its a model 1400 - does that make any difference to the other advice given ?

Scrun

That's not a model I'm familiar I'm afraid. Could be any number of things. Do you have any play in the blocks at all even a little? Or does it feel like some one has welded the bolt in place.

If it is an old gun and the gunsmith reckons it could be an expensive repair I fear that your guide rails could be worn out and need redressing. Do what is mentioned above and remove the barrel and the trigger mechanism and knock the bolt out forwards seeing if you can see any burrs on the tracks the bolt runs on. Also when you get the trigger mech out the rod out of the back of the bolt probably sit in a cup on the end of the return spring which is located in the stock. use a crew driver and confirm you can compress the spring. The bolt will have some way of locking itself closed, I don't know how your model does it but hammering the bolt from the back forward to knock the bolt forward may jam the bolt even more! As would hammering it from the front back wards. You should all ways pull the bolt the direction you want it to go not push!

Ali

Yeap, thats the one. thanks for the schematics - hopefully I wont end up with any "pocket screws" now :eek:)

A BIG THANKS TO ALL THE CONTRIBUTORS ON THIS THREAD !

Finally found the time to get to grips with this. Stripped out the trigger assembly. But there's no return spring - has it disintegratated? No trace in the breech etc. So I played around, pulled the trigger (naughty) reset it, placed it back in - nothing doing. Shuffled round the insides until I could figure out how they worked and what locked what to what and where they fitted. Tried to put it together. No joy. So i thought bugger this, i'll just put the damn thing back together and back in the cabinet. As i did so it dawned on me. The return spring is in the front of the magazine and it all fell into place ! Literally and physically. I now have a working shottie again. Dead chuffed. Thank you my friends :D

I'm sorry, you'll have to strip it down again. A repair is never complete unless there is at least one screw left unaccounted for, it's the price we have to pay to the mechanical pixies! ;)

I used to work with an old, excellent gunsmith who specialized in target pistols. His least favorite was the Model 41 Smith and Wesson. When you disassemble it, there are gobs of little springs and pins. He had one apart on the bench on afternoon, and I, being the prankish type, placed a tiny spring into the pile of parts. He had it together, looked at the spring, took it apart, put it together, test fired it, and then repeated the process one more time before he caught on to my gag.:-|

My job was a little more difficult after that.~Muir

Back