Thread: lightening the trigger pull on a mk1 ruger m77 .308

lightening the trigger pull on a mk1 ruger m77 .308

hello has anyone ever lightened the trigger on a mk1 ruger m77 .308? i have just read the manual and it seems to state that the trigger is already set at its lightest pull and lightening it any more will cause premature discharge( oh err!!)
    any advice would be most welcome

Unless you know exactly what you're doing, don't mess with triggers. I'd suggest a replacement such as this

Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    Unless you know exactly what you're doing, don't mess with triggers. I'd suggest a replacement such as this
    Second that. ~Muir

Is that the ruger with the shotgun style safety?

I did one a few years ago for a friend it requires good skill with a needle file, you realy need to take your time and keep refiting the trigger to the gun to check to see if it is right because it will go from heavy to too light v fast. If you are commited to a lighter trigger you have nothing to loose give it a go and if you stuff it up get the timney replacement unit.

When adjusting triggers allways carry out the safety test:

Check rifle is unloaded
    Apply safety
    press trigger with safety on
    remove safety
    give sharp tap of butt pad on ground
    The rifle shouldn't fire

Cycle the unloaded action 10-20 times hard and fast and it shouldn't fire

If you have any difficulty with the above dont do it or take it to a gun smith

SD Regular
    Herefordshire, Hampshire or Essex
    If I remember rightly, the trigger is largely unadjustable other than as a previous poster has said, you pig about filing seers. Get the Timney - I think Rimfire Magic also have a Rifle Basixx kit which comes in cheaper - and just as effective
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I used to have two ruger M77s and in each case I changed the trigger unit. I looked for a Timney trigger but they did not make them for this rifle - until recently (but they are pricey!)

Eventually I found Dayton Traister triggers who produce a very good replacement unit for this rifle. And what's more it is an adjustable trigger. you will need a gunsmith to fit the unit but this takes about 20 minutes. Just Google 'Dayton Traistor to get the information etc.
    Last edited by EssBee; 21-02-2012 at 23:15.