Trying for my first boar

NickJ

I'm out tonight in East Sussex up a high seat under the full moon trying (second attempt) for my first boar with a mate. He has been feeding wheat for a week and says there is lots of activity and some biggies. He (quite rightly I reckon) doesn't use NV so needs the moon.

I will have so many socks and gloves on in the -4 forecast I might struggle to cross all fingers and toes!

Will let you know how I get on.

Nick

Thanks for your good wishes, they worked, I got one, chuffed to bits, it was very exciting. Write up and pics to follow. Yes, b&d just the full moon and a S&B 8x56, with the snow and clear sky it was like daylight Good luck tonight Scrumbag.
Nick

I'm out tonight in East Sussex up a high seat under the full moon trying (second attempt) for my first boar with a mate. He has been feeding wheat for a week and says there is lots of activity and some biggies. He (quite rightly I reckon) doesn't use NV so needs the moon.

Nick

So .... a week of ground-baiting, and an ambush. Continue with the training, and in time they'll come to the dinner gong..... and the use of NV is unsporting?

I don't get this.

nv can be used i pitch black so the boar can not see you and you can see the when the moon is up it is fare game to many people in east sussex buy a nv sight and a silencer put them on the .222 or .223 and shoot as many as the can just for the money from the meat if they put the time in a hunt boar with respect that is sport i have spoke to people who say in 4 weeks they shoot anothe boar to pay for the scope because they can pic out the biggest pig which are always in pig funny that init i hate non sporting hunters so if you want to come back with some defending comment i hope you have first hand expirence of what you are taking about BUT WELL DONE TO NICK FOR A SPORTING HUNT and sorry for the spelling

The spelling is one thing, but in my opion nv should never be used. As for a .222 it is a lethal little bullet in the right hands, but should never be used for boar.
Well done NickJ on your first.
All the best trev.

I will have so many socks and gloves on in the -4 forecast I might struggle to cross all fingers and toes!

Will let you know how I get on.

Nick

Well done on your first boar Nick. Will be good to see a write up and photos.

-4c, my mate in Germany sat out in a highseat last weekend all night in -23c!!! Its also gets colder than that too!!

Cheers

Ross

Well done Nick on your first boar. Baiting up is one way of increasing your chances, but it's no guarantee of successm and it's all a metter of degrees... I agree with you, NV for boar is one step too far. As for using smaller calibres, these people show a remarkable level of ignorance and lack of respect for their quarry.

A great time of year to spot activity, snow/ ice & full moon . We used a concoction mix to draw them from a vast moorland/ farmland area, with some veg mush & wheat . It drew everything else out also, with the severe conditions. :lol:

The argument for saying no night vision to be used is ok if your shooting for a large landowner where damage isnt a problem, ive shot a few boar now but only over a maximum of six acres not an estate or large plot of land, what happens if they turn over a couple of acres over a couple of nights and my land owner says do something now but the moon is down and wont be up for a fortnight..???
Answer i get out the rifle and dedicated night vision and off i trot, if i manage one the rest get the message and may dissapear for a few months, i have a night out and still have my permission and we all get meat, whats the problem

Where do we draw the line wuth tec i dont see the sport i nv but thats me i have a cull plan so the numbers dont get out if hand so damage is minimal and the land owner is very happy

well we use rifles instead of rocks, we put the best scope available on that rifle and we make them as accurate as possible and im sure we do it to minimise bad shots suffering and mishaps so why wouldnt you use a scope that helps in the dark.
Do you stalk boar or shoot from a highseat, if its the later which im sure it is how is that giving them a chance as you sit as quiet as possible till the shot presents then pick out the cull animal and bangm thats not any differant to doing it with night vision....??
Where do we draw the line wuth tec i dont see the sport i nv but thats me i have a cull plan so the numbers dont get out if hand so damage is minimal and the land owner is very happy

we i have had no problem with bad shots or shooting the wrong animal and i do stalk them and i do use high seats as you seem dead set on nv so i am not going to tell you to stop but it dose make things to easy i like a challenge but thats just me

I have had a bad shot , a client shooting a 40kg boar on the arse with a 270
he said he could see it clear enough just with moonlight but obviously couldnt and took the shot
it was left to me to follow-up and dispatch in the woods , it wasnt an experience i enjoyed much
so for me if nv is needed to have the animal shot dead on the spot it will be used

Back