Hannovarian Beauty

Redeye

This is my Hannovarian Scent Hound. She is just over a year old and daft as a brush, but I am very fond of her. Training is progressing slower than I might have hoped but she is improving as she matures.

Attachments

• Jill.JPG
    Jill.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 139
Alright am I being stupid but that isn't a BMH is it? Is it just a bigger version. Do tell for the ignorant. :D

Looks a wee cracker mind.

Hi Deer Man. I am near Colchester. In fact I believe I met you once when you saw the mighty Hubertus working a trail inn high summer.

Got her from Germany in October. I believe the law has changed now and it might be possible to obtain a dog like this from abroad without having to wait until they are nearly 12 months old.

I believe the Hanovarian is an older breed than the BMH and in fact was used to create other breeds such as the BMH. Correct me if I'm wrong somebody.

The Hanoverian is one of the original scenthounds descended from Bracke or further back the Liam hund or Leash hound
Your spot on the BMH is descended from the Hanoverian,better for more mountainous terrain in the alps(BMH,that is)basically bred smaller and leaner
What kennel in Germany did she come from?PM if you prefer.Is she from VH parentage?Are you VH trained?Has she got FCI papers?
PS sorry about all the questions,she's a cracker!Take your time with her and she'll come on fine I'm sure

ria5months.jpg
Redeye you are in fact correct the Germans could see many problems with the old breed heavy clotty etc and decided quite rightly to radically improve and over generations that improvement can now be seen in my wee bitch
:rofl:

Last edited:
Hi Deer Man. I am near Colchester. In fact I believe I met you once when you saw the mighty Hubertus working a trail inn high summer.

Ah yes!!that makes sense know! Good luck with her. We should meet for a tracking session?

Redeye you are in fact correct the Germans could see many problems with the old breed heavy clotty etc and decided quite rightly to radically improve and over generations that improvement can now be seen in my wee bitch
:rofl:

Like the dog.

But you are not quite right. The Hanoverian Club, the VH, was started in the 1880ies. Dogs were used to track big stags of the type the Kaiser used to shoot.

In 1912 the Bavarians found they needed a lighter dog for the mountains and bred using different breeds. You can read it all on their websites.

So there are now 2 "cousins", the HS and the BMH. Breed standards can be found on the net. HS still much heavier than BMH.

You will be pleased to read the BMH can track loose. It is more than a little dangerous for a handler to follow them in the high Alps whilst an HS is nearly always on a lead.

Like the dog.

But you are not quite right. The Hanoverian Club, the VH, was started in the 1880ies. Dogs were used to track big stags of the type the Kaiser used to shoot.

In 1912 the Bavarians found they needed a lighter dog for the mountains and bred using different breeds. You can read it all on their websites.

So there are now 2 "cousins", the HS and the BMH. Breed standards can be found on the net. HS still much heavier than BMH.

You will be pleased to read the BMH can track loose. It is more than a little dangerous for a handler to follow them in the high Alps whilst an HS is nearly always on a lead.
Och Baron,telling Davie they can track loose has spoilt all my fun:stir:;)

That would be good Deer Man. How is your dog progressing? He must be, what 9 months old now?

Hey you lot i might do most of my stalking in and around town,s ( DIAT) But i do have the odd bit that would be classed as very hilly and very wild.:rofl:

Back on track thats a nice hanovarian but i will ask the all important question will it jump into the back of a car lol.

mountians11.jpg

JUST THE BACK OF GLASGOW

Last edited:
Back