Thread: Scandinavian knives

Scandinavian knives

I have the eka swingblade and am very pleased with it but it only gets used for gralloch and skinning so I'm looking for a good general purpose knife. Anyone got a knife from Helle?. I like the sound of the laminated steel they seem to use.
    I like the scandinavian style of knife in general, they seem to manage quite well with blades of around 3 1/2" when a lot of others make some whoppers!.
    Just general, hopefully informed, opinions please.

Hi mate,

Iv got a little Helle knife. Great wee thing.

Great steel, keeps an edge really well. The other thing i love about this knife is the thickness of the blade. Perfect for gralloching. By far the best knife iv ever come across.

Regards, Dan.

I'll second that, brilliant blade. Had one for years.

Best general purpouse knife I have is a 12 quid Mora clipper.
    I don`t have any experience of the Helle knifes though sorry.

I realise you are probably looking for a quality knife, but to my mind,(and I have LOTS of knifes), the Mora is way up there !

I have a Frosts (made by Mora?) carbon steel bladed thing that cost me 5 from a Phoenix meet at Bisley about 10 years ago. It's a brilliant knife. The blade is about 4mm thick, so extremely strong, but holds an edge extremely well. The only downside is, being carbon steel, it does tend to form a thin film of rust which looks unsightly, but a quick rub with a bit of oily rag soon sorts that.

I too have frosts mora clipper. It has been all over the world with me from south america to iraq and back to its motherland (its still with me in england i didnt leave it in norway). cant go wrong seeing as its only about 10

I have a green handled Mora,41/4 inch blade.It holds a great edge. Got it off fleabay a couple of years ago for 25 Euro or so.

Well mines has a Ray Mears logo,,,,,so there!!!

i use the orange/black handled mora knives they show up and are easier not to lose when out in the woods
    Give instruction to a wise man and he will be yet wiser