.22 lr ricochet ballistic tip

pj1

not sure if there is anything on the market for this but thought i would ask. i have .17 hmr on my ticket but as yet have not the funds for one. the only reason i wanted the 17 was reduced ricochet in the summer off of hard ground.
is there a high velocity .22 that ricochets less and or is there ballistic tipped .22 lr that breaks up more.

not sure if the .22 can get fast enough to cause bullet fragmentation

not sure if there is anything on the market for this but thought i would ask. i have .17 hmr on my ticket but as yet have not the funds for one. the only reason i wanted the 17 was reduced ricochet in the summer off of hard ground.
is there a high velocity .22 that ricochets less and or is there ballistic tipped .22 lr that breaks up more.

not sure if the .22 can get fast enough to cause bullet fragmentation

It's not in the nature of a solid lead projectile to "break up" unless it hits something of substantial hardness. (Like a steel plate) It's the homogenous nature of lead that makes it work so well on game. CCI makes a segmented bullet that will break up but the accuracy is , in my experience, mediocre. Fast is good. Just don't miss and be sure of your backstop.~Muir

the 17 is a necked down 22magnum , now with a magnum you dont get the wind drift you do with a 17 , it may be a bit more "bouncie" and not quite have the range but the magnum but the heavier round makes up for this .

Unfortunately with the .22 because it uses subsonic ammo, you get a lot of ricochet, mainly bacause it is a heavy bullet for the speed it is travelling at! I get loads of ricochet, mainly as I'm on flinty ground here, I just make sure I know where I am shooting, I have an HMR too, but I favour the .22! It's very quiet, I bash it about and it's cheap to run! As said, cci do a segmenting round, I've not tried it,but ive not heard great things about it!
One of the worst ricochets I had was......rabbit, 50 yards away, shot it through the head, went straight through, hit the rising earth backstop behind, bounced off and whizzed straight past me in the air! Just goes to show how much respect you need for these rounds!

Don't put safety in the hands of bullet fragmantation !!
I have a .17Cf throwing a 20 gr bullet at 4000 fps and it is still possible to have ricohets.
Safe backstop is the only way, if you are not sure don't take the shot.

Even the most safe backstops are not infalible i one shot on our local range a 25m and a 22rf subsonic came back and hit me about an inch below my eye. Luckily for me it had lost neary all its energy and just hurt like **** !

Be Safe.

I believe both CCI & Winchester are marketing a frangible 22LR bullet but as has been said I wouldn't compromise the backstop on this basis. HMR will still ricochet though recently miss-firing HMR rounds which leave the bullet in the barrel has received more forum coverage.

Nosler make ballistic tipped .22rf ammunition - I believe it is the 'Nvarminter' (US name).

Unfortunately, I don't know if they are available over here.

thanks for the replies. of course i would never take a shot that didnt have a good back stop but i shoot on a fruit farm which has clay soil that bakes hard in the summer. i give up using my .22 as the ricochets even after going through rabbits are to common. obviously the rabbits can damage the crop a lot os year round protection is needed.

i will follow up the nosler lead.

i also really looking for an excuse to have another 22. i will soon be given one but would like to keep the one i already own. having to differant rounds set up in differant rifles would save re zeroing all the time.

barnes do a varmint grenade for .22 centre fire which has an impressive clip on you tube of destroying a grape. would a high velocity rimfire get enough fps to make this type of bullet work

cheers pj

HV faster but less accurate than a hand full of gravel !

That's what i had been told, but stingers, velocitors and yellow jackets all group one hole at 50m in my Sako Finnfire Varmint - as good as my Eley subs. I settled on the Yellow Jackets as they are only different in he vertical plane (2" higher) so don't have to alter my scope just note the change on the mildots. The CCI's were just as good but were also 1.5" to the left.

Fundamentally this may be another common.misconception.in the shooting world...my advice to anyone is don't knock it till you've tried it in your own rifle.

i also really looking for an excuse to have another 22

I already have a spare slot on my S1 for a second 22LR to be dedicated to NV, I currently shoot a bolt action Ruger stainless steel 77/22 which I think is excellent, I would certainly buy another.

HV faster but less accurate than a hand full of gravel !

Total nonsense.

50 yards (those are 1" squares)
Brno10shot50ydsAguilaHPred.jpg

100 yards: Same ammo, different rifle, this past December.

Brno1100yardsredgodsofshooting.jpg

Shall I keep going? I have dozens of groups from different Hi Velocity ammo in my files.~Muir

Last edited:
Nosler make ballistic tipped .22rf ammunition - I believe it is the 'Nvarminter' (US name).

Unfortunately, I don't know if they are available over here.

I don't think so. :-| It would be expensive to make (a heeled, jacketed bullet??) and difficult if not impossible to have expand at 22LR velocities.

Lead is perfectly suited for the 22LR, but there is no accounting for ricochets. If you're shooting through game, use a HV hollow point. A few years ago I had some ammunition made to my specifications using a 38 grain HP bullet virtually identical to the Eley but traveling at 1300 fps. The ammo was excellent quality (standard deviation of just 6 fps), accurate as the dickens, and the bullet pretty much opened up to shrapnel inside anything it hit.~Muir

hi pji
Henry krank is selling cci subsonic segmented tip (per 100) £13.00 not cheap but worth a try
croc

In my experiece the small increase in range of a hv to a sub is not worth the noise they make
The whole idea of a 22 and moderator is silence and stealth.If you want to shoot much further get a bigger gun

I have used the .22 CCI segmented for couple of years now to reduce (if possible ricochets), I use CZ varmint barrel with mod, the grouping at 50yds is all within .65 of an inch off bench, the only one to suit the rifle better than that is the good old Eley subs, they are through the same hole basically.
I have had one flyer out of four thousand rounds to date, as a safety objective, maybe it does or it doesn't reduce flyers, but they work for me for accuracy wise and it may be safer.

I will continue to use, price is the issue I think that brings in other rounds into the equation, shoot what is best for safety and the rifle accuracy. I don't shoot over fifty five yards with the .22, that way you guarantee your accuracy to pin hole head shots.

Phil

Good results from your rifle set up.
I got inconsistant shots with flyers.

Thanks. I need to test a great deal of rimfire ammo and have about a dozen different rifles for the purpose. There is a difference in high velocity and hyper velocity, and there are good and bad in each. Hyper being the light bullets (29-30 grain) at very high (1550 - 1750 fps) speeds. With the hyper velocity I get fliers as well. High velocity ammo, the lighter 36 grain bullets to 1400 fps (Winchester) and the heavier 40 grain bullets to 1450 (CCI, Aguila) I get very good results provided the rifle likes them. In the middle, the 38 and 40 grain bullets at 1200-1300 fps give me the greatest degree of accuracy and usage. One inexpensive ammo that has really shone through lately has been CCI "Blazer" 40 grain at 1230 fps. It is cheap ($125/5000) and accurate.~Muir

Thanks. I need to test a great deal of rimfire ammo and have about a dozen different rifles for the purpose. There is a difference in high velocity and hyper velocity, and there are good and bad in each. Hyper being the light bullets (29-30 grain) at very high (1550 - 1750 fps) speeds. With the hyper velocity I get fliers as well. High velocity ammo, the lighter 36 grain bullets to 1400 fps (Winchester) and the heavier 40 grain bullets to 1450 (CCI, Aguila) I get very good results provided the rifle likes them. In the middle, the 38 and 40 grain bullets at 1200-1300 fps give me the greatest degree of accuracy and usage. One inexpensive ammo that has really shone through lately has been CCI "Blazer" 40 grain at 1230 fps. It is cheap ($125/5000) and accurate.~Muir

An old thread, but one still relevant as I don't think they've invented a ballistic tip 22LR round yet! This is an interesting alternative view though... The advantages of reduced-load .22 rimfire ammunition - Shooting UK

Back