Ballistic turrets- standard compensation factors to switch from using 168gr .308?

geoffw

Hi all,
Can I ask for your wisdom please...

I have a Meopta ZD 3-12x50 w/ ballistic turrets which feature twin vertical scales- a) distance (in 25m intervals from 100-425m) based on .308 168gr and b) clicks (.5 MOA)- my preference is for the distance scale utilised alongside a range finder.

I would like to have the flexibility to use rounds between 110gr and 168gr- so...
a) I could potentially get turret dials made up for the other weights (question- anybody had any experience with Kenton Industries please?), or
b) before incurring more expense I wondered if anybody knew of a simple set of rules for correcting please
eg: on the standard 168gr based turret dial, if using 110gr- deduct 35% of the range

I appreciate there can be a world of difference between manufacturer loads/ranges, but I'm after some simple "rules of thumb" with which to start testing on the range please.

Thanks in advance- and apologies if this has already been a previous topic, I couldn't find one when I looked.

Geoff

Last edited:
unfortunately i dont think any standard rules of thumb would apply.. I liked the idea of getting turrets made for my rifle but its difficult to get done, expensive and also not very flexible. What i had done was (using excel and someone who is very good with it!!) a ballistic wrap made, which ok is a little 'botch em and leggit'. It works like a dream..

4c81689e.jpg

What i would say is go and shoot your rifle at all of the different ranges and gather that data opposed to chasing figures on ballistic calculators. I found that the calculators are great as a ballpark and cant be relied upon until they are verified. ie physically shooting at that range..

over the past 2yrs ive had 2 different sets of turrets make for me by kenton industries.
providing you give good info over the phone the turrets seem to be spot on.

Why not just print out a little drop chart?
print another one when the ammo changes.
Shoot a lot and you'll know it off by heart in a short while.
My drop charts are made up for m or yds and cm or moa clicks.
Some are m and 1/4" clicks.
edi

I'm with the flyingfisherman, shoot a group at each range and produce your own drop charts. It's what I always do.

Geoff,

I have made up an XL spreadsheet to convert ballistic data to make it usable on the Meopta 3-12 Tactic for .270 130gn and .308 150gn. It should work for any rounds as long as you have accurate speed and BC. PM me and I will e-mail you copy and highlight some of the issues. It will put you in the ballpark ,but it is still best to confirm on the range though.

Regards

Stew

Hi all,
thank you all for your comments- trial and well documented error it is by the look of things!
Somebody truly is good on Excel flyingfisherman!
Bob- thank you, that's good to know, I'll give a home grown solution a go first and bear that it mind.

Stew, thank you, that would be great please... (PM inbound)- that will definitely get me in the ballpark sooner on the range and save me some ammo.

Cheers
Geoff

Geoff, if you use moa for your elevation and print out drop charts with moa adjustments for your loads, you can save your dollars and not have to change your turrets.

Back