Marlin 1895 SBL

KEITHKILVO1

Hi all

I'm thinking of getting a Marlin 1895 SBL in 45-70 as my new plaything. Has anyone got one and could you tell me what your opinions are of this under lever.
Will be used for playing on the range and if funds allow a bit of piggy bashing. Love the styling but does it shoot as good as it looks.

Cheers
Keith

The Marlin in 45-70 is a great rifle but and here is a big BUT! Try and buy a used Marlin with JM stamped on the barrel as the new Remlin ones are substandard and a lot have had to be recalled to the factory due to poor manufacturing and quality control.http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-rant-forum/.

And yes i do have a JM Marlin and love it,

Bob

Have heard that the new ones can be tempremental again has anyone had any problems with their Marlin whatever the calibre. If you have what has been the outcome? I have a .44 Marlin 1894S that I bought second hand and never had any trouble with it has got LP over a 97 on the barrel

I have 3 marlins and bought them all from Roger at South Yorkshire Shooting. 1894s are usually easy to get but I waited a year for my 1895SBL... Not South Yorks fault, just the usual lack of coordination between marlin and Edgar bros.... A common problem with uk importers it seems...

Have heard that the new ones can be tempremental again has anyone had any problems with their Marlin whatever the calibre. If you have what has been the outcome? I have a .44 Marlin 1894S that I bought second hand and never had any trouble with it has got LP over a 97 on the barrel

The LP & 97 on yours are the London Proof marks...

The JM stamped on the barrel that reiver mentioned is the in-house proof mark at the Marlin factory, or should I say...the previous factory.
As has been said - LOTS of problems with the newer production ones - as none of the staff moved to the new factory, just the machinery!

...and folk wonder why some of the products from the USA, with some companies being led more by lawyers than engineers/shooters, either don't work or don't sell

Have now found the marks on the .44 and its a goodun has got JM in an oval on the left of barrel, thanks for the help
The LP & 97 on yours are the London Proof marks...

The JM stamped on the barrel that reiver mentioned is the in-house proof mark at the Marlin factory, or should I say...the previous factory.
As has been said - LOTS of problems with the newer production ones - as none of the staff moved to the new factory, just the machinery!

...and folk wonder why some of the products from the USA, with some companies being led more by lawyers than engineers/shooters, either don't work or don't sell

I have 3 marlins and bought them all from Roger at South Yorkshire Shooting. 1894s are usually easy to get but I waited a year for my 1895SBL... Not South Yorks fault, just the usual lack of coordination between marlin and Edgar bros.... A common problem with uk importers it seems...

Will send them an email to see about availability....cheers

Have you considered a lever gun in 30-30? Less recoil, cheaper ammo and plenty big enough for pigs too. Might be worth considering :)

Hi all

Had to spread the good news the new aririval is here.... nice and shiny Marlin SBL 45-70 I think I'm in luv....will post a couple of pics when I get home. Now the next question is some glass for the top, looked at a Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 EE at Southern Counties today and I would like to have that, but I cannot spend that sort of money so I'm looking for sensible suggestion of what I could use that won't fall to bits after a few rounds. Will be initially used on targets so I can get the feel of the gun but then on Deer & Pigs etc.

Cheers

Hi all

Had to spread the good news the new aririval is here.... nice and shiny Marlin SBL 45-70 I think I'm in luv....will post a couple of pics when I get home. Now the next question is some glass for the top, looked at a Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 EE at Southern Counties today and I would like to have that, but I cannot spend that sort of money so I'm looking for sensible suggestion of what I could use that won't fall to bits after a few rounds. Will be initially used on targets so I can get the feel of the gun but then on Deer & Pigs etc.

Cheers

Both Docter and Kaps build a 1-4x24 and 1.5-6x42 with illuminated reticule. Might be just the ticket and not Swaro/Zeiss/S&B/Kahles money.

Links: Kaps Optik - Zielfernrohre (Model 1-4x24 or 1,5-6x42, both "TLB" range)

Analytik Jena - Optics - Products made by DOCTER®
Analytik Jena - Optics - Products made by DOCTER®

ATB,

Scrumbag

Have a look at eGun - Der Marktplatz ftzen und Angler for scopes as well, also maybe some suppliers (don't think you should have import problems being within the EU... and certainly no issues on duty)

I was at a gun show in the city today and there was a stainless Guide Gun for $495 US second hand. A friend of mine expressed an interest but decided to walk around the show for a bit. Needless to say, it was gone when he finally decided he'd been stupid to walk away in the first place...:rolleyes:~Muir

Hi Iv'e got an 1894 in 357 mag. Iv been shooting it 15 years no problems att all/ I had the Happy trigger kit done. and Put on a lyman forsight and a Williams rear receiver mounted sight on it and it shoots like a dream. It must have shot 10;s of thousands of rounds both 357 and 38 specials. A fun gun for down the club and shoot it in pistol calibre rifle comps..Great fun.

The Marlin in 45-70 is a great rifle but and here is a big BUT! Try and buy a used Marlin with JM stamped on the barrel as the new Remlin ones are substandard and a lot have had to be recalled to the factory due to poor manufacturing and quality control.http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-rant-forum/.

And yes i do have a JM Marlin and love it,

Bob

:eek: How dare you suggest that the wonderful Big Green makes sub standard guns :doh:. When some of us predicted this would happen when the take over and move of marlin was announced we were quickly decried and shouted down by the Big Green faithful.

Hi all

Cheers

Great news! Where did you source it in the end?

I handled my fathers 30-30 winchester (94?) recently, i presume it has the slightly longer barrel and top ejector.
Now I need to import it together with another two hand me downs a Lancaster 12ga and a 410 LC smith.....
Anything to watch out for with the Winchester?

edi

Edi: The usual length of the Model 94's starts at 20 inches for the carbine, then moves up depending on the year of manufacture. I have an odd-ball saddle ring 16.5 carbine from the 1960's that is not marked "Trapper" model.:?: Not a cataloged item.

What to watch out for: Nothing much. They are good, solid as a pick-axe, shooting machines. The carbines with the barrel band are not reputed for MOA accuracy (blame the band) but they will generally shoot 3-4 MOA with open sights at 100 yards. Full length resize if you're going to attempt reloading.~Muir

Back