Chicago screws !

private fraser

I always check my sling and swivels when I take the rifle out of the slip before going shooting (good dsc1 stuff) but I never thought to check the Chicago screws.
The top end of the sling gave way due to the screw coming apart and the rifle rotated round with me grabbing the butt until the moderator (T4) hit the ground, which was thankfully tussocky grass. I haven't been able to check zero yet but here's hoping all is ok. Maybe having an over barrel type mod gives more lateral strength in situations like this.

The moral is...if you use these screws then a bit of locktite is a good idea. It's difficult to get a good purchase to tighten these things though as one side is just rounded.
I'll be sticking to my "Uncle Mike's" sling with the buckles from now on though.

fraser

That's strange :-| It must be that time of year 'Chicago Screw Come Loose Time' :D
I've never had one come loose in all my years but just lately I've had two come loose.
I lost the screw part of it the first time it happened then I started checking the others as and when I changed rifle slings and found another nearly off so caught it in time.
I managed to get some from E Bay but they aren't brass so I changed all the others so now all mine are chrome plated !!

Thanks Pete,
but I now have all chrome ones super glued on, I even have some on my slings where I didn't have any before :D

I getting an image of you looking like a cross between the rhinestone cowbay and a pearly queen Ed with that sling Ed ..lol

bet this is wailing in the Discovery all the time!

Back