Rust

Peter Eaton

For those who havent seen my previous post in the equipment section. Here is an interesting test I carried out.

Ok , in the interest of science :D I did a wee test today. As we know 01 carbon steel will rust if negleted so I thought I would pop my Mora in a salt solution today,yes just a standard Mora, just about the most popular Knife in use in deer stalking. As you will see 1 hour in the salt solution has caused rust, an overnight soak would have gone much deeper...now look on the side of the blade....clearly visable in the steel CARBON STEEL...yes a high carbon steel as used in 01 tool steel. This is the same steel used in files, Stanley plane blades, wood chisels, scribes infact its on of the most popular steels for an edge due to its superb qualites. Looks like Mora know a good steel which is why millions are sold world wide to hunters and stalkers.

From the pictures here you will see that a Mora which has not been looked after, ie left after stalking will rust (blood would do a better job). The final picture is on of my first ever knife I made...made from a rusty old file and yes 01 carbon steel. It has seen lots of deer, bunnies and fox. It had also been used to skin / butcher deer and used in the kitchen. All it has had is a good wash under the tap then a wipe on the tea towel, note....not a spot of rust. Like I was taught in the military, look after your kit and it will look after you.

I am certainly not saying there is anything what so ever wrong with Mora knives here, they are superb and even though I make knives myself and use my own, I too use a Mora as a back up. What I am attempting to show is that carbon steel is an excellent steel when treated correctly and is used in many many popular knives.

Last edited:
For those who havent seen my previous post in the equipment section. Here is an interesting test I carried out.

Ok , in the interest of science :D I did a wee test today. As we know 01 carbon steel will rust if negleted so I thought I would pop my Mora in a salt solution today,yes just a standard Mora, just about the most popular Knife in use in deer stalking. As you will see 1 hour in the salt solution has caused rust, an overnight soak would have gone much deeper...now look on the side of the blade....clearly visable in the steel CARBON STEEL...yes a high carbon steel as used in 01 tool steel. This is the same steel used in files, Stanley plane blades, wood chisels, scribes infact its on of the most popular steels for an edge due to its superb qualites. Looks like Mora know a good steel which is why millions are sold world wide to hunters and stalkers.

From the pictures here you will see that a Mora which has not been looked after, ie left after stalking will rust (blood would do a better job). The final picture is on of my first ever knife I made...made from a rusty old file and yes 01 carbon steel. It has seen lots of deer, bunnies and fox. It had also been used to skin / butcher deer and used in the kitchen. All it has had is a good wash under the tap then a wipe on the tea towel, note....not a spot of rust. Like I was taught in the military, look after your kit and it will look after you.

I am certainly not saying there is anything what so ever wrong with Mora knives here, they are superb and even though I make knives myself and use my own, I too use a Mora as a back up. What I am attempting to show is that carbon steel is an excellent steel when treated correctly and is used in many many popular knives.

Very interesting buddy thanks for that :)

Interesting........................... I seem to recall the ridicule I gt when i posted about the Carbon steel Sheffield made knife I purchased as the closest replacement that I could find for a knife that was stolen. The gist of it was that it did not meet with DSC standards and as such no one would use one seriously for stalking :-|.

Now it seems one of the most popular knives used also has a carbon steel blade but of course it's made in Sweden so must be OK whilst a Sheffield made knife is just old tack.

Brit

There is a lot of old rubbish spoken about knives not meeting the standards, the main one being it that knives must be stainless, thing is there are many many many types of stainless. Now here the good bit...stainless rusts,just leave your stainless barrel with blood on it. Yep not to the same degree as carbon but depending on what crud was thrown in when it was made in China or India will have an affect on the degree to how much it rusts. Stainless that doesnt rust to any degree AND holds an edge well is very expensive, I can get stainless such as 440c, yes its ok and probably fine for most stalkers but wont hold the edge of carbon steel.
What should be remember is if a blade has the ability to rust...so what...what difference does it make to hygiene standards....none at all....it would only be if you had been so foolish as to let it rust that it would be a contamination problem. I recall many time on hygiene vids seeing a lovely clean knife being used that came from and went back into a crud filled leather sheath.

Hi chickenman, just wondering what's your opinion of damascus steel for knife blades?. I think damascus steel is available in stainless now?.

fraser

Sorry !...just seen your other post.

Last edited:
Hi chickenman, just wondering what's your opinion of damascus steel for knife blades?. I think damascus steel is available in stainless now?.

fraser

Sorry !...just seen your other post.[/QUOTE

I never knew it was available in Stainless but will have a chat with my maker buddies and see if the know of it. As a steel if you can get a decent billet , not the crud stuff then yes it would be superb, what you need is a bit made from ball bearing or chainsaw blades n the like.

And want to know THE best way to stop a knife from rusting?
NEVER store it in its sheath

fraser

Sorry !...just seen your other post.[/QUOTE

I never knew it was available in Stainless but will have a chat with my maker buddies and see if the know of it. As a steel if you can get a decent billet , not the crud stuff then yes it would be superb, what you need is a bit made from ball bearing or chainsaw blades n the like.

Hi chickenman... check the link. Not cheap at £130 but could be worth it...

http://www.casstrom.co.uk/epages/Casstrom-Outdoor.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Casstrom-Outdoor/Categories/Knifemaking/Blades/Special_Blades

f
raser

Having a machinist back ground I am aware of the differences in stainless steels have worked with a fair few different types over the years.

I have several custom made knives of Damasteel, made from damascus stainless steel billets, very expensive but very striking patterns are available, raindrop, odin's eye, ladder. etc, I have begun to collect knives over the years and have had custom ones made by George trout to my own design, 20 and 30 twist damasteel is very pretty on a blade and function as well. deerwarden

I have several custom made knives of Damasteel, made from damascus stainless steel billets, very expensive but very striking patterns are available, raindrop, odin's eye, ladder. etc, I have begun to collect knives over the years and have had custom ones made by George trout to my own design, 20 and 30 twist damasteel is very pretty on a blade and function as well. deerwarden

Glad to see you use them, very satisfying I bet to shoot a deer then gralloch it with something so special to you .

Back