Surgeon actions

User00003

any of you guys ever built a rifle on a surgeon repeater action? there's the standard one (1086 I think) but there's a new lighter 'hunting' one due soon I believer (Razor?)...

toying with the idea of a 6.5-284 but not sure if it's worth the expense of a custom action or I should just use a tikka/mauser/sako donor action....I do like the look of these to be honest, and you can get them in the US for around £850,,,what are the import considerations applying if anyone knows (ignoring import tax for now)?

Ive used quite a few Surgeon actions, they are very, very good. Integral picatinny rail and recoil lug, extended barrel tenon makes for a very stiff base for any rifle.

Used them for stalking and tacticals.

If you can get one for 850,,,,well you can try...

More like 1200 after youve paid for an export licence, sorted out duty and delivery charges.

There are a number of alternatives made in the UK - GBR, SYSS Alchemy, Valkerie Rifles action, Russ Gall, etc etc - all similar rem footprint so you have wide variety of stocks / triggers to choose from.

I have a Surgeon actioned varmint rifle, generally very happy with it but I wouldn't have another because I think there are a few UK based actions which are just as good or better.

I definately would have prefered a removable rail being unable to change from the built in 20MOA is a PITA especially when changing scopes a bolt on rail would enable the MOA to be altered easily.

Personally I like the look of the Valkyrie action but that's not saying that the others arent good as well

the only trouble with the uk actions I can find. i don't think they would sell you one unless you have the rifle built by them. which is fair comment. but not helpful if you have your own smith in mind

When I enquired to Dave at Valkryie Rifles he said the last Surgeons he ordered worked out at £1100, he tried to sell me one of his (by suggesting it was "a truer tighter action"). Although his action looks nice there is just something about a surgeon I really fancy :D

the only trouble with the uk actions I can find. i don't think they would sell you one unless you have the rifle built by them. which is fair comment. but not helpful if you have your own smith in mind
Gavin at Anglo has no problem selling his Impala actions as a standalone Jamie,available in stainless and titainium

Gavin at Anglo has no problem selling his Impala actions as a standalone Jamie,available in stainless and titainium

Thats good to know. I think if alot of the smiths did sell there actions. You would see alot more builds on uk actions

Last edited:
The Surgeon RSR action looks sweet, but i don't suppose that it is vastly different to the Stiller Predator, which you may be able to find more easily here in the UK. Another similar action is the Borden Alpine/Timberline, but the Borden Rimrock and even BAT actions are a step up again IMHO

Back