Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Optics: Am I deluding myself..?

Optics: Am I deluding myself..?

As above. Looking at scopes on the Uttings website and I noticed what looks like a good Docter scope and I have to say I am tempted.

I've been doing a bit of price comparison for a general stalking scope (won't be fox bashing at long ranges..) and this is where I get to:

Model Price Price differential Percentage
    Docter Optics Classic Illuminated 2.5-10x48 IR Rifle Scope 829 0 0.00%
    Swarovski Z6i 2-12x50 IR Rifle Scope 1780 951 114.72%
    Zeiss Classic Diavari 2.5-10x50T* IR Rifle Scope 1185 356 42.94%
    Kahles Helia CBX 2.5-10x50 IR Rifle Scope 1349 520 62.73%
    Schmidt and Bender Classic Variable Power 2.5-10x56 IR Rifle Scope 1299 470 56.69%

Now, at least a 40% plus hike in price up to a Zeiss (which last time I looked wasn't in stock). Will I notice the difference in scopes? I know they say buy the best you can afford but that kind of differential makes me wince...

Stingey Scrumbag...

I own three of the brands listed: S&B, Kahles, and Zeiss. My big game rifles happen to have Weaver, Leupold, and Burris. I like the nice glass, but most of my hunting rifles have Weaver, Leupold, and Burris scopes and I don't feel the lack. I'm really fussy about handling qualities. I picked up a Zeiss Conquest 3-9X about the time I finished my latest rifle. I had a Leupold 3-9 sitting idle and frankly, the Leupold made for a better handling, better looking rifle so I went with it despite the fact that the Conquest is a 'better' scope.~Muir

If you have only owned and used inferior scopes such as Leupold and the like then you won't notice as you don't miss what you haven't had. A Doctor is a class above crappy American scopes.

If however you have used quality glass such as Swaro, S&B or Nightforce then you will notice the difference.

Thanks chaps, but I suppose my question is, will I notice at least 40% difference and will it be likely to hinder low light hunting?

I've been researching this too and as with binoculars, think that buying a used top-quality scope in good condition is probably the best value for money. Reading this forum will show you how there are lots of stalkers out there who are constantly upgrading to the newer model and financing it partly with the older one. I've been following Kahles and Swarovski scopes on eBay like the ones you describe, but without the illuminated reticle, and they're all going for 700-900. Also worth looking at the classifieds here.

These optics are made to last 30 years, so if they've been looked after, they'll be fine.

go for the doctor i like them as much as s&b and ziess i have some doctor binos witch are grate under moon light

Some scope makes suit some peoples eyes better than others. So it's best if you can get to look through them to compare. However I do feel that scope prices are slight silly. Have a look at the dreaded Macleods site and see what they have to offer.

Mind you your pocket will likely take a hit if you do.

Don't over look Meopta either...

Its a hard one and i love my swarovski but i only shoot out to max 150 do i need such expencive glass may be maybe not. D O are quality but leupold are certainly good enough for what we want.
    As I get older I have realised that I cannot please everyone. But I find I can easy piss every one off.

anyone tried the new Minox range? I have the bino's and rate them VERY highly.