Screw Cutting

Jonty11

Hello all

I have recently purchased a Ruger M77 Mark 2 in 22-250 caliber to use for fox control on the estate where I help manage a pheasant syndicate. I was just wondering how much the going rate is to get it screw cut form my A-TEC sound moderator to reduce noise and recoil. I have been quoted around the £110 mark with proofing.

Being a new father I am trying to save my pennies and would appreciate any advice or information regarding this query.

Thank you in anticipation.

James

Last edited:
Might be a bit far for you but J CARR GUNS nr doncaster has threaded and re crowned quite a few for me , last one was around £60 without proof . DF

Try Borders Gunroom in St. Boswells - not too bad a price & did my last rifle while I waited

Re-proofing is your choice (or possibly the choice of the insurance company of the gunsmith you choose).

Screwcutting ranges from £35 to £65, but remember that buggering it up is much more expensive in your time and money so choose your gunsmith carefully. I don't know where exactly in the North-East you are but others may be able to give you recommendations from their experience and I strongly suggest that you let that be your guide, rather than the cost. I do remember and sympathise with the constraints of life as a new father - you don't need any more stress in arguing about a badly cut thread.

Regards
Knots

got to way up the cost of travelling to a gunsmith who is cheaper but may be a good 20 to 30 miles away.
but the main thing to do is pick one who knows what there doing. or it will cost more in the long run.

A lot of sense talked. Get it done by a repuatable guy, i would say £100 is a reasonable price. Go on recommendation. if its cheaper then bonus! I have used Steve Kershaw a few times and cannot fault the guy. Hes in South Yorkshire, Howden to be precise.

i used northallerton gun room the last time 90 and the job was spot on
atb tom ps where in the north east are you

A lot of sense talked. Get it done by a repuatable guy, i would say £100 is a reasonable price. Go on recommendation. if its cheaper then bonus! I have used Steve Kershaw a few times and cannot fault the guy. Hes in South Yorkshire, Howden to be precise.

Sorry pedant head on Howden was in the East Riding then went to Humberside then back to the East Riding when it was fought for and the East Riding was reinstated. Bring back the West Riding so my birth certificate is right, bloody South Yorkshire my arse.:coat:

PS Dave Wylde does some decent work he is in Barnsley bit of a travel but has been said get it done right or it will cost you in the long run bad accuracy or poor fit of moderator leading to other problems.

Last edited:
Hello all

I have recently purchased a Ruger M77 Mark 2 in 22-250 caliber to use for fox control on the estate where I help manage a pheasant syndicate. I was just wondering how much the going rate is to get it screw cut form my A-TEC sound moderator to reduce noise and recoil. I have been quoted around the £110 mark with proofing.

Being a new father I am trying to save my pennies and would appreciate any advice or information regarding this query.

Thank you in anticipation.

James
James, if you've a bit of time to spare, have a look here:-
http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/6097-barrel-screw-cut?highlight=janner

botec in durham i have never used him as i send all work to neil mckillop in reading.

regards
chris

Get it done without the proof. You don't need a proof, anyone who says you do is talking out of their backside. Find a reputable local gunsmith, around £60 is a reasonable price if you hand them the rifle complete, as it takes a while to strip the gun and put it back together again. Some will do it for less if you strip it yourself and just bring them the barrel and action.

Get it done without the proof. You don't need a proof, anyone who says you do is talking out of their backside. Find a reputable local gunsmith, around £60 is a reasonable price if you hand them the rifle complete, as it takes a while to strip the gun and put it back together again. Some will do it for less if you strip it yourself and just bring them the barrel and action.

Thanks for the advice

Bowtec, I think thats the spelling, are near Birtley...on an industrial estate within an old mining/pit-head workshop area (...a bit down the road from Bradford Stalker shop). He USED to do archery kit, hence the name, but has now moved into RFD stuff instead. Be worth checking him out as has been said...and quite local to you

Although re-proofing is not necessary after a screw cut, if you wish to sell the rifle it will need to be re-proofed and a dealer will most likely deduct the cost of this from the trade in value of the firearm, if sold privately the buyer must be made aware. Just something to be aware of.

Thank you all.

Although re-proofing is not necessary after a screw cut, if you wish to sell the rifle it will need to be re-proofed and a dealer will most likely deduct the cost of this from the trade in value of the firearm, if sold privately the buyer must be made aware. Just something to be aware of.

Thanks for the information.

James

Back