I shot both of them and more

John Gryphon

21 dirty f*****G carp shot with my trusty 22 krico in the last fortnight.

652c88d0.jpg

Not sure what to make of this, personally as a carp angler I think you need.............. actually forum rules stop me saying what I want to say.
As a fishery manager I can see where they can become a pest and need thinning out, but this is not the right way to do it.

Neil.

Not sure what to make of this, personally as a carp angler I think you need.............. actually forum rules stop me saying what I want to say. As a fishery manager I can see where they can become a pest and need thinning out, but this is not the right way to do it. Neil.
There are many ways to kill things but as long as it is humane, dead is dead so job done.
As a lad I have had pike in this way with .410 slugs when they were 'basking' in the withy bed drains on the Somerset levels, that was back in the fifties when food was food.

one man's meat is another's poison, it's a different country on a different continent and is classed as an invasive species/vermin responsible for wrecking the eco system bit like the first white men there too

T food was food.

Agreed, but there is no indication these carp are getting eaten.
Shooting into water with any rifle let alone a. 22lr is not a particularly safe option is it, so the poor old carp may yet get justice.
Lets face it, they only got there because man put them there, so perhaps man should just put up with it.

Neil. :)

Not sure what to make of this, personally as a carp angler I think you need.............. actually forum rules stop me saying what I want to say.
As a fishery manager I can see where they can become a pest and need thinning out, but this is not the right way to do it.

They are probably held in the same regard as grey squirrels and rats here.
Not to mention mink!!!!!

If it is like that, well dead is dead isn't it ?

Neil.
come on mate , different countrys different cultures and problems , look at the trouble they have with rabbits , foxes , cane toads , cats , camels the list goes on , what would you do about mink ? and i get the odd call from carp fisheries about otters how do you feel about those big boys

come on mate , different countrys different cultures and problems , look at the trouble they have with rabbits , foxes , cane toads , cats , camels the list goes on , what would you do about mink ? and i get the odd call from carp fisheries about otters how do you feel about those big boys

Thank you trouble for a sensible post,the replies above basically show an ignorance of carp numbers in Australia to the detriment of the other fish species and to the waterways themselves.
There are tens of MILLIONS of Euro Carp in Australia and are not wanted anywhere and from the safety aspect raised above, head shooting carp into a waterway from a six foot bank (steep angle) allows for a clean entry....besides the farm boundary is 2 kilometres away!And I`m the only b****d here.

On carp they are in the Murray/Darling system and we are talking thousands and thousands of waterways that have been inundated with these rats.
You coarse fishers that get annoyed about this shooting stuff should come to Australia and just see how many of the B*****S there are.

They were actually found in a Tasmanian lake 10 odd years ago,one of Tassy`s premier wild brown trout lakes mind you. It was so important that the lake was poisoned and drained to kill every bloody one of them.As the trout fishery is worth millions in tourism whereas carp are not worth a cracker. They are as bad as cane toads and rabbits in our environment.
Occasionally there are Carp Buster tournaments held with prized etc...the fish are weighed in at tons at the end of the day with the collective creels gathered,yes TONS!

Rabbits? I have gone out and shot a 100 and left them on the hill in an arvo back a few years ago,yes true as, they, when in big numbers are considered as rats to many farmers trying to make a quid off the land.I have shot them for dough too,but sometimes its just a vermin destruction job. They get poisoned,gassed/fumigated,even blown up using gas and igniting it.

There is a bit of info here

Carp: a case study

To add to my last post note...."[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]hundreds of tonnes"[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Based in Deniliquin, Charlie Carp removes hundreds of tonnes of the so called “rabbits of the waterways” each year, producing a range of liquid fish fertiliser from what was previously seen as an unwanted and environmentally damaging pest. [/FONT]

do you have goverment hunters/vermin killers

Kids grow up on the rivers shooting them,or catching them in pursuit of yellowbelly or cod.

It is illegal to throw a carp back in the water,dead or alive,by law they must be thrown onto the bank above the high water mark.

Well the pro`s net them as the Charlie Carp factory above does. and they electro fish the Gippsland Lakes for them as well,I did hear a two man team might electro 20 tons a day.

Seems that if that is the case Australia has shown even less sense than us as far as importing, and then failing to control introduced species.
I still say if they have that many carp then a use should be found for them, tons at a time, well that is tons of food that could be exported.
If a few people want to shoot them, then I suppose it makes little difference from an ethical point of view, equally it makes little difference to the numbers.

As for Otters over here, mixed feelings, I love to see them, but they have ruined many decent river fisheries over the last few years, not to mention killed the record Barbel, and destroyed the clubs fishery as a result.
As for damaging carp fisheries, well as far as I know there are few if any situated on rivers, the Otters main habitat, as far as in lakes, well the Syndicate fisheries could just meet the problem head on, and fence the waters.
Trouble with that is cost, it is expensive, very expensive, so profits tumble unless the fees go up to cover it, and believe me carp anglers will pay the cost.
We have otters only a couple of miles away from the lakes I look after, never had a problem, yet, if we get a problem I hope we would do the right thing.
But as you say, not sure we actually would :oops:

Logistically,controlling them either netting or whatever over thousands of miles of waterways is a tough ask.A lot of the rivers have towns hundreds of miles apart.. thus the catch,chill,process etc becomes a nightmare..Oz is a big country!

from october onwards otters come up off the rivers , one lake i put 1000 duck on has a large population of wild carp , ive counted 30 together lots about 2and half to 3 foot long . The lakes fed by a stream you can step over and runs about 2 mile to the river , we have otters , or an otter , i find the odd big carp hauled out with its gills eaten and loads of crunched up signal crayfish . One otter was hit on the road a mile from the nearest ditch , put some trail cams up , i bet youve already had a visitor Hornet

put some trail cams up , i bet youve already had a visitor Hornet

Thankfully, not so far.
Hidden cameras are a permanent fixture as an anti poacher measure, and have been for a few years now, all they ever show is normal lakeside animal life and anglers.

Seems that if that is the case Australia has shown even less sense than us as far as importing, and then failing to control introduced species.
I still say if they have that many carp then a use should be found for them, tons at a time, well that is tons of food that could be exported.

Mate,thats one of the most ignorant posts i've seen.
First you don't understand the size of Aus & our droughts & floods.When it rains our "inland sea" is larger than several large European countries.These aquatic rats breed up & when the droughts come the densities are unbelievable as the warer receds.They erode & destroy habitat & are a major threat to bio diversity.They offer almost no sport ,so we fish for real fish which are edible/palitable & a challenge.
Carp aren't food,even goannas & pigs would have to be near death to eat them.

No doubt they were brought in by some pommie expat (we already have real fish thanks).Even today its not uncommon for expats to illegally relocate this threat & start new populations.

As for export & resource,for an example we have over 50 million roos(the lower error bar) at the moment (they are an indigenous 'pest' not imported)they are more palitable ,desirable,& valuable than carp & we can't break even when exporting these.I could start with an abundence of other species to.
Carp can make OK, but expensive fertiliser so costs arent recovered,but subsidised, the fish (raw product)is provided free.

Hornet 6,How many 1000kg's do you want,when & were?
It should be Aus $6 per kg air freight from Aus to UK on Qantas.Bulk rate.

Destroying this pest is a positive,Australians never wanted or imported them (that was your mob),save your critique for a subject you understand next time.

Cheers Sharkey

Think that just about sums it up Sharkey, it always amazes me when people get on there high horse when they havnt a clue about the subject they are talking about, Having spent a fair amount of time in your country, (well it was mine but we will let you have it for now:rofl: ) I have seen the problem first hand, shooting seems as good a way as any
doc

sounds like excellent sport!

heres a thought though.
most animal food especially fish and chicken food contains a high percentage of fish protien (huge amounts of anchovies are ground up and dried for this industry).
surprised some enterprising chap has not seen an outlet for unwanted protien

Back