Thread: Hello again

Hello again

Hello again.
    I joined this forum a couple of years ago while I was waiting for my firearms certificate and dreaming of deer stalking. I was granted my certificate for .204 but refused a .243 due to my lack of experience. That kinda knocked the stuffing out of my deer stalking ambitions for a while and I lost touch with this place as I concentrated on fox and rabbit control with my .204 and pigeons, corvids, etc with a shotgun.

Down, but not out, I swotted up for a couple of months, passed my DSC-1 and re-applied for a suitable roe deer calibre. Don't ask me why I chose .22-250 but it was a decision I was soon to regret and swapped it for a .223 soon afterwards. I've now changed my mind again and applied for a variation to a .243, which is what I wanted in the first place. I called my FEO the other day and was told it'll be approved this time.

I try to get out shooting a few times each week. Mostly on my own but usually at least once a week with a friend. I wish I could go stalking once a week but there aren't many deer on my permission so we only take one every couple of months. And I'd hardly call it stalking. It's more of a "sit and wait" kind of thing. Either from the 4x4 or after a short walk to reach a good sit and wait position.
    I love the excitement of lamping for Charlie and I enjoy a peaceful wander with my .22 along the shore from where the rabbits come to invade the crops. I'm probably the worst shot in the world with a shotgun but I still can't think of many better ways to spend the day than to fill the air with lead. I just like any excuse to go shooting.

I've visited here many times over the past year or so but I could never remember my login details until I had a eureka moment about half an hour ago, managed to login and decided to say hello again.

welcome to the site

“Persistence. Perfection. Patience. Power. Prioritize your passion. It keeps you sane.”
    ― Criss Jami

Welcome to the site, glad you finally got your deer calibre,
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Hi there

Hi i am new to this and have the same dream you do but i am in a little bit of a pickle eed premission to shoot on someones land with 308 to get my firearms licence do you know any one i am also going to do my level 1 and 2 befor applying for a licence. Also going to get my shot gun licence at the same time because then it only costs £60 for both . I dont live far from you and wondering if you can help
    Also going to buy a new 22 at the week end to pest controle some where
    Regards andy

I'm no expert, and I'm sure there will be someone along to correct me before long, but I can't see you being approved for a .308 on your application.
    I assume the .22 you mention is an air rifle. My advice to you would be to find a permission for your air rifle then ask the landowner if he would approve of you using powder burners on his land. If yes, you should apply for a rimfire (.22lr or .17hmr) and a centrefire for fox (.204 or .22-250?) or deer, if you have any on your land (.243 perhaps).
    If you're refused a deer calibre, DSC-1 is not too difficult a challenge and you should have more success with a variation application to .243 or .308 once you've shown commitment and gained some experience.
    You say you don't live far from me, but a quick google search tells me Prudhoe is in Northumberland and so you live a few hours drive from me. What can I do to help?
    Last edited by Stinkfoot; 18-02-2012 at 03:17.