Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Badger's

Regular Poster
    Galloway south west scotland

Hi Guy's Here in SW Scotland we are seeing an awful lot of dead badger's on the road's, in the last four week's i have seen six dead between Dumfries and Kirkcudbright, on mian and back roads, on my way to work.
    I am wondering if this is the time of year that the young boars are setting of to find thier own teritory's, Do they get turfed out by thier parents when this years young are about to arrive?.

ATB Barry

At this time of year, food is scarce and so they move around a lot more to find it. Ergo, a lot more car collisions. The townies would have us believe that every one of those you see lying at the side of the road has a bullet hole somewhere. Whenever anyone says this to me, I tell them to stop next time they see one and have a look for themselves...

i,ve notice a lot of badger road kill round our way over the last few weeks.(sheffield) stav
    if your going too be dumb you have too be tough

If I remember correctly the young are born in Jan, and last years young are kicked out, hence the increase in casualties.

you got it , but the young are born from now on

some badgers also just happen to 'end up on the roadside'..cough cough...

or they commit suicide off dual carridge way bridges

It's the fact that they are riddled with tuberculosis and cannot run away from the cars fast enough.........

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

The Badger setts on the ground i shoot are showing signs of a lot of activity , a lot more bedding being turfed out of the setts and the badger runs showing movements over greater areas . backing up previous theorys that young are present and food stuffs are scarce

I've just driven up to Kent and back- Fri/Sat and I've never seen so many road killed badgers!!