New Dog (GWP)

WelshHunter

Hello lads, this is a continuing thread after the 'New Kennel and Base' thread. Got my new dog start of the week. He is a German Wirehaired Pointer by the name of Tod and is a young dog. Prime time for training, but for now im just getting him used to me now. Hes coming on great and is stopping, staying, returning and heeling fantastically. All the basic stuff is coming very well and he shows real promise.

Going to be training him for mostly rough shooting and beating but will also be used for tracking and retreiving foxes as i do a lot of fox shooting night and day.

Here is a pic of the lovely lad, note thought, he is a GWP but his coat is simular to a GSP! PC290069.JPGPC290067.JPGPC290065.JPG

Are you sure it's a wire haired pointer. It looks more like a short haired pointer to me WelshHunter. :oops:

I'd agree with 8x57, looks very much like a GSP to me.

But I suppose he could be a GWP with a very short coat too.

Great looking dog, good luck with him.

Best of luck with the training WH, mines 20months old now, and seems to be over the worst stuff:rofl:.
Sinbad:thumb:

Looks very GSP to me too ? Oh well if you've seen the dam I am sure you are correct. Good looking dog though. Be interested to see how you get on as I am sure my GWP is not quite wired right in the head but my old GSP was the dogs proverbials !

Lovely looking dog mate............my GWP was very flat coat initially, them overnight turned into a wire brush.

Nice dog Welshunter, I have a very similar dog with a short coat and a bit of a beard. You do sometimes get them without the beard and with a short coat. The breeder i use calls them 'slick' coats. I've seen litters which have slick pups and others that look like grizzly bears! Good luck and enjoy the training.

Atb

Mark

I would have thought even if it has a tight coat it would have a small amount of furniture( beard and eyebrows).

Colin where's he from? Trudvang?

Hi, Good luck with your GWHP ,sounds like his coming on fine for his age ,Some GWHP have shorter coats more like a GSP .The GSP was one of the breeds that was used to create the GWHP , some dogs get more hairy as they mature don't worry about that its his ability to work that counts ATB ye old stalker

Hi, Good luck with your GWHP ,sounds like his coming on fine for his age ,Some GWHP have shorter coats more like a GSP .The GSP was one of the breeds that was used to create the GWHP , some dogs get more hairy as they mature don't worry about that its his ability to work that counts ATB ye old stalker

My thoughts exactly, thanks Ye Old Stalker, will let you know how he gets on.

Back