7mm-08

Home Loader

Hello all I would like to add to my gun cabinet with a 7mm-08 im wondering if anyone has anything negative to say as the people i know with them love them but most people are biased about their gun!

Crap mate....ER not.

Just getting my second one semi-custom based on sako action.

For me plenty of knock down power for all uk beasts easy on the shoulder good ballistics.

Suits me anyway.

Steve

I have a Sako 75 Varmint in 7mm-08, it was a big gamble, to me anyway when I switched from 6.5x55 as my primary deer calibre. But I have no regrets at all and have been evangelical in trying to convince others of it's merits. I run a hot 120 grain load and 2 more sedate 140 and 150 grain loads, all very accurate.

Mine is the best rifle I own (and have ever owned) - by far.

I run 100gr, 140gr and 175gr which I have set the loads up so that it will put all three through the same hole at distances beyond my capability..

The weak link in the set up is definitely the idiot pulling the trigger.

For all the UK species you can't go too far wrong with a 140 gr bullet and for pigs or anything bigger (moose for instance) a 175 gr is a very good option. Only slight downside is that some shops still don't stock a wide selection of factory ammo, but if you've got a shop you use regularly then I'm sure they'll oblige you. If you're a reloader then that's not going to be a problem.

Tom

You won't regret choosing a 7mm08. I use 140gn Sierra's for all UK deer species as I found 120gn left me with meat damage. My rifle is fitted with a muzzle brake rather than a moderator (as I do not like moderators for recoil reduction) and this allows me to see the bullet strike with minimal muzzle flip.

Phil

Hello all I would like to add to my gun cabinet with a 7mm-08 im wondering if anyone has anything negative to say ....

All I would say is I planned to buy a 7mm-08 in 1999 when I was working in the States. Once I got there, I read about the 260 Rem and bought that instead. I attach a good comparison of some of the 7mm options.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/7mm/

I
am now on my third 260 Rem, and although still I think the 7mm-08 is a very good option, I am pleased with the route that I have gone down.

Good luck. JCS

I was also considering a 7-08 but now going to buy a 7x57. It has a bit more powder capacity and being a longer cartridge, is better for heavier bullets if you want to load for boar or moose. Both are fantastic cartridges though

If you're going to get a 7mm frankly it has to be a 7x64 for no other reason than I'm going to get one....

Also, like shbangsteve says, it will handle the heavier bullets better and unlike the 7x57 is not military so will be fine in France.

ATB,

Scrummy

Ahhhhhh but scrumbag you forget the horrendous weight gained by having to use horror of horrors :eek:....................................... a long action :scared: just think of all those extra grams to carry. Then there is the effort of moving the bolt an extra 1/2" :doh:.

It's ...................................... it's just not fashionable to have a long action. Nope only short actions count didn't you know that?

Yes, awful a long action and that tapered case for a really smooth feed, why would you want that in your life!!! :D I don't see the extra ounce or two of weight, which is right between your hands where you notice it least, worrying Scrumbag one bit. Quite strong is one term to describe him. There are others but I am a coward and he is "quite strong"!!!! :stir:

David.

Ahhhhhh but scrumbag you forget the horrendous weight gained by having to use horror of horrors :eek:....................................... a long action :scared: just think of all those extra grams to carry. Then there is the effort of moving the bolt an extra 1/2" :doh:.

It's ...................................... it's just not fashionable to have a long action. Nope only short actions count didn't you know that?

Brit it's terrible isn't it and it gets worse: (if that were possbile!)

Am going to go for a Mauser98 clone, with a 600mm barrel! I'll never shoot anything...

What a Mauser 98 action!!!! Joining all those professional hunters, both past and present who choose the 98 for reliability and stuff, you must be mad and ignorant. :doh: Fancy choosing a barrel length to suit the design parameters of the cartridge, that will never catch on either!

David.

Brit it's terrible isn't it and it gets worse: (if that were possbile!)

Am going to go for a Mauser98 clone, with a 600mm barrel! I'll never shoot anything...

Ahhh what happened to the other 10mm? Mauser used to have 610mm barrels as I recall which just happens to work out at 24". Of course go back a bit further in time and 25" was common and 26-28" for magnums and target rifles.

No your right you'll never manage that too loooooooooooooooooooooong :doh:.

I look forwards to seeing the finished rifle :D :cool:.

Ahhh what happened to the other 10mm? Mauser used to have 610mm barrels as I recall which just happens to work out at 24". Of course go back a bit further in time and 25" was common and 26-28" for magnums and target rifles.

No your right you'll never manage that too loooooooooooooooooooooong :doh:.

I look forwards to seeing the finished rifle :D :cool:.

It's not a genuine mauser 98, it's the Voere clone. So, I'm having an Austrian rifle with a Brenneker designed round for hunting sur le continent... seems kind of fitting...

Will certainly put some pictures up!

I thought Voere built on a genuine action? Actually provided you have the kit and buy the right steel and know how to treat it after machining (not the average garden shed job) I suppose the design isn't protected anymore and you can build a "genuine" 98. In fact I think GMA in the states and a few others do just that.

David.

All I would say is I planned to buy a 7mm-08 in 1999 when I was working in the States. Once I got there, I read about the 260 Rem and bought that instead. I attach a good comparison of some of the 7mm options.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/7m

I
am now on my third 260 Rem, and although still I think the 7mm-08 is a very good option, I am pleased with the route that I have gone down.

Good luck. JCS

An interesting article indeed............I currently have a notion of a change........its not that I dont like the 25-06, just fancy something different, maybe semi custom ....... you all know the feeling !!!

7-08 is a great round, theres a fair few ways to skin a cat though.. go with what you have a hankering for.. lots of compromises. I keep looking at getting another 7mm round but just cant find a significant advantage over the 7-08 which outweighs the cost and other disadvantages.

Thank you all for the imput but i would still like to know anyones gripes about the 7mm-08? if no one has any why are they not more popular? Thanks again

Back