Honest Opinions please 8x42 or 10x42

PointBlank

I am thinking of taking the plunge with some EL range binoculars and I am interested in everyone's opinion on whether to go for the 8x42 or the 10x42. primarily I will be using these for woodland stalking.

I am only thinking this because uttings have extended their 10% sale for another week. gah

Personally it would be the 8x, I find 10x too tiresome on the head and eyes especially if you are woodland stalking you will have them glued to your eyes most of the time.

Light gathering will be better on the 8x aswell.

Personally it would be the 8x, I find 10x too tiresome on the head and eyes especially if you are woodland stalking you will have them glued to your eyes most of the time.

Light gathering will be better on the 8x aswell.

That is what I was thinking but I didn't want to get the 8x only to be told the 10x is so much better

I think field of view is as important as magnification in a woodland - if you can only see a very small area in your binos then it takes you a long time to scan the area in front of you and you don't have as much benefit from the corner of your eye picking up movement. Then you move a step and the perspective and position of the trees changes and you have to scan again and so on. I've never tried 10X in woodland but would imagine it wouldn't be long before you would get fed up with it.

Plus in woodland most deer will be 100 yards or less from you and even when looking down long rides the 8X will not be a big disadvantage.

I also use 8X on the hill and have never found it a big disadvantage - in fact I've found that all the stalkers who have taken me out on bought days on the hill have also been using 8X.

I use 10x42 as I spend most of my time shooting in open land. I also found that after spending the day at the Moto GP looking through binos for hours quality glass saves your eyes Cheers Paul

Get whatever is closest to the mag you habitually use on your scope perhaps?
Not much to chose between 8x and 10x other than that.
8x might be a little bit better in lower light conditions, 10x might just help you pick out a trophy or see the tush on a roe doe whenever you need to
I use 10x42 Minox and find them fine for woodland or open country, they're also nearly as good as my Schmidt in low light, so when I can't see clearly in the binos I can judge that it's time to call it a day.

As others have said, I think for woodland stalking the wider field of view of 8x will suit you better.

10x42 Nikon HGL bins, Leupold Mk4 10x40 M1, Sako 75 Varmint 7mm-08. I don't like stepping up and down in image size between bins and scope. I shoot over mainly open ground with surrounding woodland which is adjacent but not part of the permission. I do have an 8x pair of bins but they are 8x32 Nikon Superior E porro prisms superb optics but not waterproof and not brilliant in low light, pity as I would have used these in partnership with my 8x56 Schmidt which is on my Tikka M690 25-06. So I use the 10x for everything.

Had my Swarovski EL Range 8x42's turn up today, mind blowing quality...

just a slight upgrade from my Hawke endurance 8x42's :D

Back