Varget and 243

devonoak

Hi all

I've just bought some 100gr Hornady btsp for the 243 and my options seem a bit limited with Varget (which I use successfully for the 7mm). I'd quite like to avoid buying another tub of powder, anyone have any comments on this? My safe powder weight seems a very narrow band, I just wanted to see if anyone was using a 100gr 243/varget combo and with what results?

Cheers
Tom

i use this combination in my 20" barreled Tikka and it works very well
33.7gns of varget and col 2.65"

Hi Devonoak
I use Varget powder in both my 243 and 7mm Mauser.
The 243 is loaded with 34 grains of Varget with a 95 grain nosler ballistic tip
Hope this is of use to you
Regards
T

Hi all

I've just bought some 100gr Hornady btsp for the 243 and my options seem a bit limited with Varget (which I use successfully for the 7mm). I'd quite like to avoid buying another tub of powder, anyone have any comments on this? My safe powder weight seems a very narrow band, I just wanted to see if anyone was using a 100gr 243/varget combo and with what results?

Cheers
Tom

Varget is very similar to Viht N140 and both considered too fast fir the 243 100gr bullet with slower powders like Viht N160 recommended. I have successfully loaded with the faster powders but you need to run loads up carefully as pressure signs appeared quickly. The result was an accurate round but a little soft

I use a Remington 700 SPS .243 light barrel and use the following load that will put a one hole group at 100 yards like a clover.

Lapua Case
34.0 grains Varget
100 grain Hornady HPBT (2453)
CCI BR 2 primer
COL to tip = 2.600
2692 FPS

hope it helps

Varget is very similar to Viht N140 and both considered too fast fir the 243 100gr bullet with slower powders like Viht N160 recommended. I have successfully loaded with the faster powders but you need to run loads up carefully as pressure signs appeared quickly. The result was an accurate round but a little soft
I have been using 36grn N140 to drive 95grn bt , OAL 2.689 atb Tim

i have been using 38.1 grains of N140, federal brass, cci200 primers 100 grain btsp, can group at 3/4 inch at 2924fps, that was at 100 yard in tunnel at calton moor last week, very fast and very accurate in tikka t3 varmint

Back