Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Line breeding

Line breeding

Does any one know what the restrictions are on line breeding ?
    I have a stud dog I would like to use, but its sire is also my bitches grandsire is this to close under KC regs ?

from a working point of view it sound perfect. I bred a line of terriers using half brother/half sister and grand sire to grand daughter type matings. The best lines are tight bred

This sounds similar to what I did 15 years ago with a lab bitch of mine. I would think that providing the bitch in the grandparents was an outcross then there should be no issue whatsoever, but some on here will know more about it than me.
    Last edited by jamross65; 21-02-2012 at 19:04.

Thanks guys, thats exactly what I was thinking, they are a good working line.

I spent 10mins on hold to the KC earlier and got fed up with waiting.

nick100, the following has been copied from the Kennel Club's Website An introduction to dog breeding - The Kennel Club and I think this is what you are looking for:-

Kennel Club Registration & Regulations
    Before thinking about breeding from your bitch, you should acquaint yourself with the Kennel Club Regulations on registering litters and the registration system in general. The rules and regulations can be found on the litter application form 1, but you will need to remember that the Kennel Club will not accept an application to register a litter when:

1. The dam has already whelped 4 litters (as of the 1st January 2012 the limit changed from 6 litters to 4 litters). As of this date the Kennel Club will no longer register any further litters from any bitch which our records show has already whelped 4 litters. Therefore for any litter born on or after the 1st January 2012, the system will automatically check to see how many previous litters the Kennel Club has an account of. Where the number previously recorded is 4 or more, the application will be rejected, or
    2. The dam has already reached the age of 8 years at the date of whelping, (relief from this restriction may be considered normally provided an application is made prior to the mating, the proposed dam has previously whelped at least one other registered litter, and the application is supported by veterinary evidence as to the suitability of the bitch involved in the proposed whelping), or
    3. The dam was under one year old at the time of mating, or
    4. The offspring are the result of any mating between father and daughter, mother and son or brother and sister, save in exceptional circumstances or for scientifically proven welfare reasons, or
    5. The dam has already had two litters delivered by caesarean section, save for scientifically proven welfare reasons and this only normally provided the application is made prior to the mating, or
    6. The dam was not resident at a UK address at the date of whelping.

There are further Kennel Club Rules and Regulations that may prevent a litter from being registered; the full Kennel Club Rules and Regulations are contained in the Kennel Club Year Book.
    You will also need to ensure that your bitch's Kennel Club registration does not carry a breeding restriction (endorsement). If there are any, you will need to discuss this further with the person from whom you obtained the bitch, as any breeding endorsement will need to be removed before registration of a litter can take place. In most cases it will be the breeder who has placed the endorsement, and who will therefore be the person empowered to remove it.
    Last edited by RoeHunter; 22-02-2012 at 14:15.

Thanks Roehunter, that looks like it's acceptable then.

Fingers crossed we can get her in pup, first litter, and she does not come in like any of my others, sometimes its only a few days.

Line breeding has its place but beware,if dogs have faults these can shine through as well as the good points of your dogs,sometimes you can get disfigured pups although this can happen in normally bred pups as well
    Some of the best lines of dogs come from properly line bred dogs IMO,to a novice it can go very wrong sometimes though,go for it and see what happens but be prepared for good and bad,as in any litter

Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Wot breed are you talking , as some breeds of dogs suffer more from line breeding than others
    And as already mentioned genetic defects are stronger pronounced or just defects due to such close matings as you are talking about can occur
    The other issue that can arise is if matings are to close potential puppy owners can be put off because of this or if you do get a defective pup or pups then that will be the end of future matings with in those pups and parentage

That is the only way to bread terriers lurchers ect I don't no about pedigree dogs but i no there properly bread no peds out there and properly worth more money ie what does a top coarsing dog go for certainly more than any pedigree its the only way to bread but each to there own

It amazing how much some will pay for a mongrel