My First Fallow

After a long wait and a few cancellations due to us both working stupid shift patterns, my good mate Gaz phoned me up to make a firm date to try and get me my first Fallow, well I was over the moon, the date wasSun 19[SUP]th[/SUP] Feb.
Sunday came and I was up at 4.30 like an excited school kid on his first school trip, after travelling to the arranged meeting place I was about half an hour early time for a quick coffee and settle my nerves.
Gaz arrived and I followed him to the ground transferred my kit into his truck and off we went to his permission, parked his truck and we were off, it was a hard frosty morning very crispy under foot but we managed to make it to the first high seat ok without disturbing anything.
Gaz told me if we see anything to shoot a pricket first (apy days) we were in the seat for about fifteen minutes then, bingo, a doe and pricket came trotting down the path at about 120 yds they kept coming but did not really present a good broadside shot and then just looked up hopped into the hedge and off they went, bother I thought, after about an hour in the seat Gaz was pointing out the different rides etc from the seat, the scenery was really great, then when I looked back down the ride a heavily pregnant
Munty was just disappearing out of view before I could get the rifle up, bother again I thought,
Gaz decided it was time for a walk so off we went, I was glad really because by now my feet were freezing, we had only walked up the same ride slowly for about 200yds when 3 Fallow almost ran into us, rifle up on sticks but still a bit to slow, bother again were the words (I think) so that is 6 deer seen and not a shot fired.
Gaz decide we would walk the woods and make our way back to the truck and have a coffee break and review the plans.
After our break we were off again in a different direction following various tracks and rides through the woods for about 2 hours when we were coming to the end of a large wood Gaz sat on a wall for a rest (coz he’sgetting on a bit) another 3 Fallow jumped up from behind the wall and were off,I think bother again were the words.
The afternoon started off with us having dinner before the onslaught, off we went again on a different part of the estate this time to try our luck elsewhere, we were looking down through the trees and spotted another3 Fallow running along the bottom of the wood, no shot presented it self this time and then eagle eyed Gaz spotted one about 80 yds away, partially covered by a tree and told me to get the sticks up,in flash I was ready but could not see the target Gaz was pointing at as I was looking at a different angle to Gaz but when I did see him, guess what, he was off like a rocket , bollox was the expletive this time and to make it worse Gaz said I was a jinx on Fallow (he can be so hurt full on times) so off we go again for about a hundred yds and another was standing right in front of us at about 80yds but was unable to shoot because of no safe back stop.
Last chance saloon was from a high seat that we had to rush to get in and get settled, when in the seat we were discussing the day and how unlucky I had been (story of my life) on looking to my right I saw what I thought was a large Doberman type dog coming down the ride (we had seen ramblers and dog walkers earlier) Gaz looked and said that dog has got horns and get onto it which I did like a flash, the pricket went slightly into the bushes for a few seconds then came trotting towards us then paused for second, and off went the shot, right in the chest and he was dead before he hit the ground, well I was the happiest kid inWales thanks to Gaz for a day I will never forget, even when I got home I had a grin on my face the size of Cardiff, thanks again Gaz you’re a top man.
landies 1st fallow1.jpg
landies 1st fallow1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good write up, well done with the pricket, you will always remember your first!

Sounds like Gaz has a heck of a lot of deer on his ground :stag:

Dont you get any fallow on all that foxing ground up the other side of the racecourse?

??? I don't have any foxing ground up the other side of the racecourse ???

Really Paddy?
You are in Mid Devon aren't you?

Cheers
Richard

Most of my shooting ground is in the Crediton-Tiverton-South Molton triangle. The nearest fallow to me are between Whitestone and Crediton - so close, but not close enough!

Thanks all,
177Landy Glad you enjoyed your day out with me, it was a pleasure. I know your starting to get on in age :old:, but you'll have to sharpen up next time or go to spec savers before coming, or I won't get my numbers. :D. Speak soon Gaz

Already been to Spec Savers and will definately be quicker next time :D:D:D You just wait untill we are on the pigs then I will show you lovely boy.:old:

Haven't done the six yet Ade still need a C.W.D. will have to get together and make a trip??
probably be November now ??
Chris.

Back