thoughts on harris bipod

User00003

gents, I'm about to order a new bipod for my roe/fox/hill rifle. I'm set on the 9-13" harris swivel - but..

A. is the notched legs best or the fully adjustable,,

B. is £90 a good price or can I find better?

I had one on the last 2 rifles,

while out with John a YDS he asked had I ever used them,
when I think back no I either shoot prone or off sticks,
I sold them,
before you spend £90 ask yourself do you need them or just want them?

thanks for the replies guys.

Bob,,good point, but I do for the hill and to take foxes off a shooting platform I built on the front of the quad bike. for normal roe stalking you're spot on:thumb:

Hi, I have a set of those that just sit on the reloading bench. Good as new, only reason I don't use them is I'm 5' 7'' and I'm too short for them. So I use a shorter set. Mine are the fully adjustable set. I'd sell you mine for £65 posted if you want a set. PM me if your interested.

I think they are a really solid rest and I feel confident enough to shot deer at considerable distance that otherwise with out one on I wouldn't attempt if I only had sticks. Having said that I have shot many more deer off the sticks and when doing that with the bipod attached for me this feels uncomfortable and would prefer not to have one, they do effect the balance and so does the moderator.

If harris did a quick release snap on/off system like some of the more expensive manufactures this would help.
DS

1stPP - PM sent.

Deerstalker - I've previously used the stoneypoint polecat rapid pivot bipod which you keep in the pocket and snap on for shots..perfect,,,except that the fitting breaks and sends your rifle off your shoulder into the ground scope first...no good!

Just because they are attached to the rifle you dont have to use them, at least they are there if you cannot get a steady enough shot.
I like the snap on/off system as per Atlas and Versa pod but you never know when you might want them.
If you tend to lie up and wait and shoot from the prone position they are invaluable.

I just bought a set of Caldwell XLA 13.5-27". I find the shorter ones great for zeroing and target stuff but out in the field especially later in the year the grass or wheat is too long and I had to go onto short sticks. So with the lamp, bino's, sticks etc all too much kit too carry. I'm hoping I can now used the long bipod in the sitting kneeling position. I can use it at 13.5" but it may be a little high if you dont have reasonably long arms. Might be a thought for you aswell. The caldwell was £73 I think and it nice and light but firm. I did have to put a leather packing piece under front edge to stop legs contacting the mod. Hope you find what you need.

well 1stpatternpaul was kind enough to sell me has almost new Harris S type at a great price, I think it's the 13-27" rather than the 9-13" I had in mind, but here's the good news - off the lowest setting it's a touch too high, but taking the rubber feet off you can cut almost 3" off the bottom leg and re-attach the rubber feet, leaving it PERFECT for prone, AND you can extend it for a sitting/kneeling position or even higher than that, so you can sit and shoot steeply uphill.

Ace product, thanks again 1stPP.:thumb:

well 1stpatternpaul was kind enough to sell me has almost new Harris S type at a great price, I think it's the 13-27" rather than the 9-13" I had in mind, but here's the good news - off the lowest setting it's a touch too high, but taking the rubber feet off you can cut almost 3" off the bottom leg and re-attach the rubber feet, leaving it PERFECT for prone, AND you can extend it for a sitting/kneeling position or even higher than that, so you can sit and shoot steeply uphill.

How did you take the rubber feet off? Does it really take 3 inches off?

used a pin puncher to knock out the small pin (which is hollow), the last bit of the bottom leg sticks out about 3" which can be cut off, then you drill a new hole for the pin and reattach with a pin expander and some two part glue.

Neat Idea PKL good compromise, you get the best of both.

13x27 swivel is far better as an all round unit. Only use shorter ones off the bonnet of a 4x4.

Notched legs click as they open out, not wise.

A

13x27 swivel is far better as an all round unit. Only use shorter ones off the bonnet of a 4x4.

Notched legs click as they open out, not wise.

A

They're just 'that' little bit too high off prone unless you get one leg curled up quite a bit, and also quite high in terms of sillhouette (spelling?) when coming over the top of small hills in the highlands.

i prefer the rigid ones in 13 x 27, they just seam more stable when shooting and dont show movement as much on the muzzle

I use a Harris after several attempts for find a cheaper one!!

Good point made about the actual use. Mine is most used when putting it down on the ground rather when out.

All depends on where and when you use it!

Back