If you had to nominate one thing...?

Rob Mac

I was thinking about all the kit we need to go stalking, how much money I've spent (and wasted) over the years and which kit has been a 'god send'.

Then I started to think that if I had to nominate one thing, one item I've bought that really has surprised and impressed time and time again and that I wouldn't be without now, what would it be? I'm not necessarily talking about an expensive scope or rifle which you'd expect to deliver.

For me it my Seeland beaters trousers. I bought them over three years ago and it they can be beaten for comfort, durability and cost then I'd be amazed!

If you had to nominate 'gods gift to stalking' what would yours be?

Cheers,

Rob

I'm with you Rob on the Seeland beater trousers, especially up a drafty highseat! :D
My personal favourite piece of kit is my 'Kammo jacket'. Everyone I used to stalk with had one and they all swore by them! Pricey but well worth it!

A wife that dosnt complain everytime you go stalking and come home stinking like a stags armpit. Dont see many of those for sale. :lol:

Only joking after 25 years mines got use to it?

One thing

A friend gave me a bit of rope/cord with a small pulley at one end.

For years I'd been staggering around the wood trying to find a likely tree to hang the fallow from, getting covered in blood and guts and stuffing up my back.

Now it's a piece of cake to get them into the tree.

Stu

if you had to nominate one thing

for me it would hav to be my knife , for years i hav had dark coloured handles so you were constantly searching for them in the car or on the deck when doing a gralloch and god forbid if you dropped it while stalking cos u never saw the darn thing again, then one day a saviour came in the form of dave stretton with his cycadelic orange handle had the same knife now over 3 stretch , all i do is open the car and there it is if you drop it can see from miles away long live dave

A game chiller that takes two fallow.
I can now shoot whatever the weather and dont have to rush about carcass prep for up to 10 days.

Fantastic

Mark

On the subject of David Stretton, his butchery DVD is a God send. I now know what to do with the meat, rather than just chopping a bit off and saying to the wife 'Err make this edible'! :lol:

My best bit of kit would have to be my Cabelas Smock. No matter what the weather (even Highland rain!) it has always proved itself to be 100% waterproof and warm.

Andy L said:
Where can I get mself a copy of Dave Strettons DVD? It sound like exactly what I need.

From the man himself.

Donington Park Deer
Donington Park
Farmhouse Hotel
Melbourne Road
Isley Walton
Derbyshire
DE74 2RN

Tel: +44 (0) 1332 862409
Fax: +44 (0) 1332 862364

e-mail: info@doningtonparkdeer.co.uk

For me it has to be two items.

My dragging harness made for me by a good friend from seat belt webbing. No more pulled shoulders or aching backs.

And my Leica Geovids, no more having to guess the range of the shot now, just ping the beast, read the range, and dial in the drop.
Zeiss now have a laser range finder built into their new scopes.:)

Technology.......................................................... ? Don't you just love it.

The BDS also sell David Stretton's DVD on their website. As for the Seeland trousers and stalking quietly, I don't stalk in them much. I prefer to use them for high seat work as I think they can be a little noisey. Very comfortable though, nice touch having the braces too!

My best bit of kit is for the post stalk.

A 12 volt electric winch in my chiller, it soon put a stop to all that huffing and puffing.

A bipod (the prone & kneeling job) I now take 8 out of 10 shots from it - inc woodland stalking and have no idea how I managed without it.

Clothing wise it would be a toss up between a set of Winchester bib and brace and my (much maligned) Deerhunter jacket. I have sat on snow banks many times in these two and stayed completely dry and comfortable.

Kit wise I have a gunslinger rifle holster which suits me perfectly, it leaves both hands free and it is easy to get the rifle when you need it.

TullochNovember65.jpg

The bipod also came in very handy for throwing at a rambler ;)

John[/img]

Well Beowulf, I agree with you about the Dave Stretton Butchery DVD. Received my copy in the post yesterday and I think it is excellent. I have a Fallow Pricket in the chiller and for once, I am looking forward to butchering it.
Good recommendation.
Cheers
Andy

cheap and cheerfull for me, a frost clipper in day glo for me, even if it were possible to lose it i wouldnt worry about it.
Not so cheap, but great stuff, Lapua 6.5x55 155 grn sp, ready rolled, managed to get hold of a few boxes recently, awsome.

swarofskin 8x42 binos life without them is unthinkable
or maybe swannie and swazi combo, always warm always dry even in norway

If you had to nominate one thing

Mole trapper,
I have ot agree with you on the Frosts Knife. I have re-profiled mine to give a sharper point for the first cut.
Coincience, I also have four boxes of Lapua 155 grainers in 6.5x55 that came with the BSA that I bought a couple of years ago.
At the time I thought they might be a bit heavy for Roe, but they just fell over to the shot and the meat damage was neglegable.

Back