Schmallenberg virus

Win Mod 70

Just seen an article on look east about the virus that has found it's way into the uk. Anyone aware if as stalkers we need to report signs of the virus in deer or if anyone is recording cases of still born or deformed fawns if found?

I would at very least record (photo if possible) SBV is not notifiable, although there is a requirement for livestock holders to report it. I'll find out and let you know (but not until Monday as DEFRA don't do weekends!)

I shoot deer on the western edge of the ares identified so far where the virus has been identified in sheep. I've managed to enlist about 15 other stalkers who cover an area from Duxford to Bedford. So hopefully we'll get an idea if it's in the deer locally yet. Going to email a chap I know in the Deer Inititive on Monday to see if they are collating data on the spread of the virus in deer.
Will keep everyone updated.

As I understand it all ruminants are at risk, with deer it may depend on the time of the rut and whether it was to cold for the midges as the deformities take place in the first trimester. The infection seems to have come over last autumn, if roe are infected we may see dead does due to calving difficulties, the lambs we have had would never be born naturally.

Having spoken to a few folk, there is no evidence or suggestion that deer will be affected. However, if you found a deformed calf/kid - twisted limbs or neck- it would be sensible to report it to your nearest AHVLA office as Apache says

Where any cases of Bluetongue ever found in deer, i ask because it is transmitted by the same insects and would have been easier to spot in adult deer.....

Schmallenberg in Deer.

I just wondered if anyone had heard anything relating Schmallenberg to Deer in this country or any other?

There is still little known about the condition in deer, but some surveillance work done on in Europe found many animals to have antibodies.

The significance is unclear, but anyone gutting a deer with a deformed foetus would be of interest. As would anyone finding a deer dead unable to calve. Please do inspect the contents of the uterus for stumpy twisted fixed limbs.

There is still little known about the condition in deer, but some surveillance work done on in Europe found many animals to have antibodies.

The significance is unclear, but anyone gutting a deer with a deformed foetus would be of interest. As would anyone finding a deer dead unable to calve. Please do inspect the contents of the uterus for stumpy twisted fixed limbs.
Is it really a good idea to advise stalkers to open the uterous, I was always led to believe that there is a Brucellosis risk in doing so?? please correct me if wrong..

Back