Humane Dispatch - Carcass Removal??????

AllThingsShooting

Hi All,

Having applied for the deer wardens scheme, one of the questions in the application is regarding the removal of the carcass!

It make sense that's should it be on the public highway then it is the responsibility the highways agency to remove it at their cost! However after a lengthy conversation with environmental agency, then local council and finally highways agency, it appears that in order for it to be removed by the appointed disposal service it would have to be left at the scene!

Have expressed that this wouldn't make sense to leave a deer in the middle of the road or in a position that could cause further incidents surely I should either remove it to a safe position I.e my house for collection the following day, or to provide a suitable facility where I would be able to drop of the carcass for incineration!!

Oh no - so far the advice has been (this is from all the authority's mentioned above)

- cut it up into small bits and put it out with your waste

- put it outside your house in the road then call the council

- pay for it at your pet crematorium

- leave it at the scene and call the police????

These answers have come from the most senior person I was able to talk too... Please could someone provide the correct legally suitable option.

Preferably relevant to Sussex and Hampshire.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments...

B

I don't understand what the issue is here really, clearly you won't leave the carcass in the middle of the road, but it isn't going to cause any harm if you drag it onto the verge and leave it there surely? The only time I have removed a carcass was when the police called me to shoot one in someones garden that was badly tangled in a fence, even then I dropped it off a couple of miles away on the road side. I think the problem you have is unfortunately you have asked too many questions to well meaning but basically silly bureaucrats who have given you their 'professional' policy line but who have no practical experience.
You should I would hope find that more often than not the police will be onsite when you arrive (or at least this is my general experience in Norfolk) and that they would not leave the scene with a dead deer still sat in the road, I have even had them help me drag larger deer off into tree cover before now to get them out of view.
Hope that's of some help.

Thanks - again common sense, but having said that exact same thing to the various authorities you can imagine what the response was. The application does unfortunately ask what facilities you have for the disposal of the carcass. Not sure (although perfectly acceptable) Leaving in a safe place off the road is what they want to hear!!

I agree with you, leaving at the side of the road out of sight and notifying the council for the collection is the sensible solution.

No offence intended AllThingsShooting but should you get involved in this scheme if you don't know the answer. I know several guys who turn out to deal with deer that have been involved in collisions with cars, or that have become hung up on fences etc. Each of them were required to attend short briefing/training sessions with their relevant police forces and normally they will only attend if a police officer will be in attendance. The agreement is always that the deer should be left at the side of the road for collection by the council who are legally responsible for disposing of the carcass. If on rare occasions the deer is in a location that could cause upset to the public they will often take the deer in their own transport to another suitable location from where it can be picked up after contacting the council call centre. On a few occasions one friend has droopped the carcass off at the forestry commision depot and asked the rangers if it can be put in their waste bins, he hasn't been refused yet.

Obviously if you hide the carcass in the woods alongside the road you need to have some form of marker at the roadside to indicate to the disposal officers where they can find the carcass. Something like a short length of traffictape that can be tied to a tree or branch close to the body.

No offense taken, I know what I would do as covered already, however to satisfy myself I asked the question! I have applied for the scheme in which entails a mandatory course provided by local police, again knowing what I would logically do I am surprised that the local authority's do not have that answer that backs it up.

I’m surprised at the response that you got because local authorities are normally fully aware of their responsibilities. Funnily enough I was talking to a very senior local authority environment health officer the other evening about such a matter and about a complaint he had received from a member of the public because the council hadn’t sent out a team to pick up a dead hedgehog off the road outside the complainants house. Surely it wasn’t unreasonable for this chap to simply shovel up the hedgehog himself if he was so concerned and not insist on the council having to send a team around to dispose of it with all the time and expense involved.

Completely agree - it does make sense and its ashame that common sense is often overlooked by the general public. I was also shocked at the responses I had! The wording used was this "the individual must have a carcase disposal in place before the animal is killed. It is important that when animals are killed, the carcasses are disposed of properly and promptly"

Hi, I am a Deer Warden and often leave deer at the scene of the accident. They are left on the verge and reported to the local authority via the web where you can highlight the exact location on a map. They should be marked with traffic tape or police aware tape which reduces the chances of further reports to the police. I always report any carcasses I despatch but I believe local forest rangers who are also on call, drag their carcasses into the woods and let nature take it's course. After all deer dying naturally aren't picked up for cremation !

Regards,
Firefly

I know for a fact that the highways people whether it be Amey/Transerv/Bear actually quote for carcass removal in their bid for the highways contract, because of this I leave the carcass at the side of the road once Ive finished it.

Back