Dogs in general

finnbear270

Our companions, wether workers or just pets, rescued or whatever,How many of us have these stoic uncomplaining friends?.... we seem to go about our daily lives with some blinkered views, I saw on the telly this week a dog that was lifting items from the supermarket shelf, opening the washing machine,removing clothing from the tumble drier, & a hundred other tasks!....., I am just waiting for natures course to play out with another one of ours, her indoors is trying her best to blank out the inevitable, .... the dog in question is almost fourteen, she has outlived her litter sister by three years!, a mini stroke for this one I think, the vet has been reasonable with Mrs Finnbear, & veterinary science has advanced somewhat, the dog is now improved & on a reasonably even keel,........ but , we are all of us, on the same journey, & it's a one way jobbie, no turning back!:eek:

Steve its not a easy thing to wait on, 4 times last year i had a visit to the Vet home empty handed each time ,only wish i could do the same with humans .

Just a variance of problems older working dogs not one of these dogs ever went to the Vet before the problems arose other than there jabs each year .
as the Vet said he See's very few working dogs due to them being kennelled and fit unlike many of the house pets he See's that don't get out when they need to, pee and poo kidney and urinary problems over fed and under exercised dogs.

old age is a leveller for us all

If I could have a wish (after I'd done the world peace, end to hunger, knowing the lottery numbers in advance etc.) it would be to extend the span of a dogs life to match our own. Having gained and lost so many wonderful companions in my life, it would have been wonderful to be a toddler with a puppy, to share the prime of our lives together, and then get to both be old boys - a bit white round the muzzle, still keen to go out but walking slower, and with selective hearing when we didn't want to hear...

Knots

Enjoy the train ride until the engine no longer has the steam to carry on, then let the memories fill your your days of un happines as if like me they give me a smlile and plenty of war stories to tell of a good days work we both enjoyed.

Well about 6 years ago we took on a 10 month old cross breed who was to keep my old Staffordshire company and help him keep fitter. There is nowhere here to walk a dig unless one walks the roads. No paths. It's better since we took the field back as they can romp pr mooch around it and the new plantings. Trouble id th old feller is not very old. he will be 15 this June and sadly the original people badly mistreated him. he came to me at 3 1/2" years old and needed building up they never walked him and just beat him about so that has effected him physically.

The other week in the cold he went out for too long and we thought it was the end. But now he is a perky as can be. His eyesight is poor hearing not so good and his back legs are not as strong as they could be but he still likes a bit of a game. The cross breed a suppodely cross Boxer/Staffie is now 7.

Two years ago last Jan we got asked to look after two others for a few weeks........................... yep still here a Black lab that;s brainlessa d a cross that must have soem Saluki or some such in her. She split her ear yesterday but its stopped bleeding with a bbit of time and pressure. Hoe don't know she was out on the field with the Black lab playing.

If I could have a wish (after I'd done the world peace, end to hunger, knowing the lottery numbers in advance etc.) it would be to extend the span of a dogs life to match our own. Having gained and lost so many wonderful companions in my life, it would have been wonderful to be a toddler with a puppy, to share the prime of our lives together, and then get to both be old boys - a bit white round the muzzle, still keen to go out but walking slower, and with selective hearing when we didn't want to hear...

Knots

I'm in this situation right now... We're losing a Golden who has been my faithful companion since my teenage years... It's so sad to watch him slowly fade away... And all that after just 10 years :/

Our companions, wether workers or just pets, rescued or whatever,How many of us have these stoic uncomplaining friends?.... we seem to go about our daily lives with some blinkered views, I saw on the telly this week a dog that was lifting items from the supermarket shelf, opening the washing machine,removing clothing from the tumble drier, & a hundred other tasks!....., I am just waiting for natures course to play out with another one of ours, her indoors is trying her best to blank out the inevitable, .... the dog in question is almost fourteen, she has outlived her litter sister by three years!, a mini stroke for this one I think, the vet has been reasonable with Mrs Finnbear, & veterinary science has advanced somewhat, the dog is now improved & on a reasonably even keel,........ but , we are all of us, on the same journey, & it's a one way jobbie, no turning back!:eek:

Lordy, reading this all brings back memories. I can remember praying for Mother Nature to finish the job with my old guy but she denied that request and I had to take him on the one way trip the vet.

And the frequency of these trips have never made it any easier.

just had my old terrier put down , had alot of fun and got in some trouble together over the last 18 years , ive lost other dog during this time but this old warrior lived in .He wasnt out of my sight in our first 2 years together , he dogged in , came beating , checked traps and worked below ground . I dug 22 feet to get him from a soil hole once , chipped 6 foot into a quarry wall to reach him another time , digging him out was hard work but back filling the lads last hole well .... i had blurry eyes and a sweaty nose ill tell ya . Hes up the top of the valley where we had so much fun together , its a nice spot , catches the sun , a good place to sit have a smoke and a chat . Such a little dog , such a big space left now

My dad always says, "people who say you can't buy love have never bought a dog". Never a truer word spoken.

just had my old terrier put down , had alot of fun and got in some trouble together over the last 18 years , ive lost other dog during this time but this old warrior lived in .He wasnt out of my sight in our first 2 years together , he dogged in , came beating , checked traps and worked below ground . I dug 22 feet to get him from a soil hole once , chipped 6 foot into a quarry wall to reach him another time , digging him out was hard work but back filling the lads last hole well .... i had blurry eyes and a sweaty nose ill tell ya . Hes up the top of the valley where we had so much fun together , its a nice spot , catches the sun , a good place to sit have a smoke and a chat . Such a little dog , such a big space left now

Sounds like the perfect Terrier! You have to get into a bit of mischeif with them, who wants and easy life?

Mine are with me pretty much wherever I go work or play and when they aren't by my side I feel guilty.

Wouldn't be without my GWP.........She stalks with me, looks after the house when we are out and dosn't let a cat within 100 yards of my garden...........the only thing she asks in return is a feed, a few scampi fries and a pat on the head now and then. :lol:

Last edited:
Back