Cost of Fuel

Gazza

Last night I went to put diesel in the landrover just before going out lamping foxes. F' me it seems to have jumped from 138.9 to 144.9 per litre overnight. Now I like foxing as much as anybody and I do get payment in kind from farmers but it's not as cheap as it used to be. As my family are up and gone, I no longer have a mortgage to pay and I have no debt to repay I can afford to use money for this purpose but for some of you guys the expense of fuel must curtail your foxing ventures and for some who travel hundreds of miles to leases it must make you think twice before going.
How does the cost of fuel effect your shooting?

It does make you think a bit , i have just taken on some new rabbit permissions about 25 miles away
loads of bunnies but cost's in fuel.What angers me though is i look after a fleet of HGV'S and we use
BP fuel cards who charge 112.9 per litre and they are still making profit while when i fill up my L200
I pay 139.9:-| Rant over.

Gazza... my truck now costs nearly £680 to brim and my Defender £90 so yes i do think about using it on jollies. Gone are the days of the Sunday run and the quicker there is another fuel stand-off the better. I was the second vehicle on the BP Grangemouth blockade and i will try and be the first next time!

Gazza... my truck now costs nearly £680 to brim and my Defender £90 so yes i do think about using it on jollies. Gone are the days of the Sunday run and the quicker there is another fuel stand-off the better. I was the second vehicle on the BP Grangemouth blockade and i will try and be the first next time!

I don't know how some of the haulage businesses are surviving at the moment. The prices really are ridiculous. It unbelievable that we have this resource off our own coast line yet the price we pay is based on a global pricing system. Not only that but we end up paying possibly the highest price on the planet.

If it comes to a stand off then all the best to you.

It does make you think a bit , i have just taken on some new rabbit permissions about 25 miles away
loads of bunnies but cost's in fuel.What angers me though is i look after a fleet of HGV'S and we use
BP fuel cards who charge 112.9 per litre and they are still making profit while when i fill up my L200
I pay 139.9:-| Rant over.

I use BP cards (rarely) and the price they quote you is PLUS V.A.T so your BP cards are as usual dearer than pump and supermarket prices and in this case the PPL you quoted is actually 141.12.

Jumped 4p a litre near me in 48 hours £147.9 a litre o deisel and £138.9 petrol, by weekend who knows.
My father in laws as I call Arthur Daly reckons 1 to 1.3 litre cars are selling like hot cakes and fetching good money due too fuel costs I have had to down size from a 1.8 litre to 1 litre because of this.

that's why I sold the grand jeep cherokee...trip from edinburgh to jedburgh and back in the weekend was running me £65. now I'm in an old rav4 and it's costing me £24.

that's another £41 to spend each weekend on booze and ammo:D

I use BP cards (rarely) and the price they quote you is PLUS V.A.T so your BP cards are as usual dearer than pump and supermarket prices and in this case the PPL you quoted is actually 141.12.
Agree with you RED-DOT but the company can claim the V.A.T back .

Strange thing is I overheard a tanker driver complaining how he was made to wait at the refinery by his company as the price was just about to drop 2p per litre. Yet at the pumps it went up :-| this was about 10 days ago now.

Somehow methinks the poor old motorist it getting rooked once again.

It doesn't pay to be straight in this country. Take off the hard working class give to the idle class.

I gave up all my pigeon shooting up in Perthshire due to the cost of fuel prices.
The irony is I work at Grangemouth Refinery and it cost me using my Defender £70:00 for 5 days driving.
The service station right outside the gates have alays been the most expensive yet ASDA along the road who fill up at the refinery can cut thier cost
to ake it a bit more cheaper.
Just back from holidays and the cupboards are bare.
Morrisons are giving 15p a litre if you spend over £60:00
A bottle of Malt, a slab of lager milk and bread, sorted.

Agree with you RED-DOT but the company can claim the V.A.T back .

And so can every other V.A.T registered business but by the time you pay an accountant and there is never really a return on V.A.T. Just unpaid tax collectors. A 4 day standoff would have the Government eating out of the truckers hands and the public would be right behind us?? Last time in 2001 we had public coming to the picket line with food and drinks in thier droves and even the police were on our side as was the installation manager at the refinery. Where does all the duty go?

All it would take is for the whole nation to boycott one of the major outlets, say ESSO. If nobody bought from them for two weeks they would have no choice but to lower their prices and then all the others have to follow suite. We can all still buy our fuel from elsewhere so as we can carry on as normal. Time we put them over a barrel. But it won't happen because as a nation we won't stick together. They wouldn't tolerate it in France.
Paul

Last edited:
And so can every other V.A.T registered business but by the time you pay an accountant and there is never really a return on V.A.T. Just unpaid tax collectors. A 4 day standoff would have the Government eating out of the truckers hands and the public would be right behind us?? Last time in 2001 we had public coming to the picket line with food and drinks in thier droves and even the police were on our side as was the installation manager at the refinery. Where does all the duty go?
A 4 day stand off would be a great idea especially with the olympics coming up,it would get the
public's attention and the Goverments reaction would probably be a small cut of 3-4 p per litre
to gain support come budget time.

Never mind the tanker drivers waiting until the price goes up...............I used to sail on tankers and we would come back to the UK with crude oil and fill up with refined petrolium as the storage tanks were full, and just drift about until the prices went up and back to discharge again...........

A VERY long time ago (1969) when I started work at Vauxhall Motors in Luton my father worked in the Experimental Department & told me that even then GM had an engine that ran on hydrogen which was created by electrically splitting water into Hydrogen and Oxygen, therefore the only emission was good for the planet.

He also said that this engine would never be introduced commercially until the last barrel of oil was extracted because Countries and Companies would collapse without the taxation and profits.

He admitted that (then) the process was uneconomic but do you seriously believe that this has not progressed in 40+ years?

Recently (end 2011) I met someone who worked in the same department as my Dad (who died in the 70's) and they verified that this engine exists.

We are all being mugged - but whilst we continue to get better and better MPG from fossil fuels (who would ever have heard of a 3 litre diesel doing near 50MPG as with the Audi?) then the taxes must rise accordingly?

I spend £75 on fuel to go to work for a week never mind any other travelling, if that hit's £90 I don't think I going to make it and I'm screwed with the mortgage.

they have hydrogen cars already in usa, but same as all these eco cars they want 60/70 k for car and the cost of the fuel would be same as petrol. so why does that make anybody want to buy one, as for eletric cars, by going for a paper they are a waste of time. stav, p.s. my fuels bill is about 1k per week

Back