Best Camouflage?

dingwall_dave

Seeing a couple of discussions on camouflage jackets are on here already, and it looks there like camo has both it's believers and sceptics, what does everyone think is the best camouflage and for where?

I've just bought a German Army (Flecktarn) smock for woodland stalking, partly as I'm too poor at the moment to buy a more gucci, bona fide stalking jacket, and I'm curious about what to do if I do decide to upgrade.

Any thoughts?

Seeing a couple of discussions on camouflage jackets are on here already, and it looks there like camo has both it's believers and sceptics, what does everyone think is the best camouflage and for where?

I've just bought a German Army (Flecktarn) smock for woodland stalking, partly as I'm too poor at the moment to buy a more gucci, bona fide stalking jacket, and I'm curious about what to do if I do decide to upgrade.

Any thoughts?

Flecktarn is brill for conifer forest and cuts the mustard in normal broad leaf woodland too. Not the best on open ground but still has "break up". There are many opinions on the camo issue, mine is simply I believe the animals notice the lack of contrast more than the camo, hence drab colours not clashing with a background working too, or even light colours against a light background (dried fern etc).

Where to go next when you have money? Pass. I never will have unless I win the lottery, and whilst I haven't been stalking long I've been shooting for 30 yrs and have always used british camo and more recently Danish.

cammo is for pigeon shooters and daylight foxers. Plain green is fine for most uk/european hunts.
on driven hunts i wear blaze orange and have deer and pigs come within feet off me without spooking.
this guy shot this with a shotgun and slugs on the next peg to me on saturday (in france) i saw him do it, it was 15-20 ft off him,
038-2.jpg

Flecktarn is brill for conifer forest and cuts the mustard in normal broad leaf woodland too. Not the best on open ground but still has "break up". There are many opinions on the camo issue, mine is simply I believe the animals notice the lack of contrast more than the camo, hence drab colours not clashing with a background working too, or even light colours against a light background (dried fern etc).

Where to go next when you have money? Pass. I never will have unless I win the lottery, and whilst I haven't been stalking long I've been shooting for 30 yrs and have always used british camo and more recently Danish.

Ditto on the Danish Flectarn much greener.

I like my Danish flecktarn too, but I agree with YRS that camo isn't necessary for stalking. Silent fabrics, natural tones (not necessarily colours), comfort and practicality are all more important.

the best camoflage = staying still

You took the words right out of my mouth well keyboard.

I am all ways amazed just how well a persons face stands out, the same goes for hands.
So I always like to wear a thin pair of gloves or a jacket with fairly long sleeves, and a cap with a good brim.
It just puts your face into a bit of shade.

I know of someone who got a set of wetlands cammo, the light yellow reed pattern, my mate who was duck shooting with him said as it got darker he just stood out more and more.:doh: A bit like glow in the dark.

I am sure you could end up with cammo for every season we have, and then some.

the best camoflage = staying still

Mudman has suplied the best/correct answer , if your fieldcraft is good then you won't have many problems , my opinion on the subject though is that DPM is as good if not better than anything on the market , also very hard wearing......and much cheaper !

Agreed. You could be wearing a ghillie suit but if your drills are crap it wouldn't help. I love DPM for the cost and hard wearing.

This may be a load of crap but I seem to remember reading that washing your camo with normal detergent can make it "glow" to animals due to certain animals and birds being able to see different light to us, e.g. UV.

The Crye Multicam and the British version called MTP seems to work very well for human eyes. In fact its performance can seem almost magical. How well it works for deer we can't say but I would be fairly confident that it works at least as well as anything else. The pictures in the Crye gallery, although mostly not taken in something looking like a UK stalking environment, give some idea of how effective it can be across a wide range of landscapes.

I suspect muted shades and careful stalking are worth a lot more than the camo pattern you wear but none of us are perfect and if the camo gives you an edge now and again, and especially if it is available in a good jacket at mil surplus prices, then it is certainly worth considering.

http://www.multicampattern.com/gallery/

I have had successful stalks in T-shirt and shorts before (in the summer!). And not camouflage ones. As said its movement and noise that matters. Find something that is comfortable and non-rustle. Cover up the parts of you that will be moving most like hands and perhaps your face if it is bare and pink! Having said this, I do have some realtree jackets.

The first guy i ever went stalking with used to regularlystalk successfully in a cream pair of cords. I personally just tend to stick toEx military (DPM, Norwegians etc) and a swandri in winter. I think the biggestfactors are price, comfort and noise. The rest is up to your field craft.

Swedish pattern is great...Norwegian army jackets that are very similar pattern can be picked up 2nd hand on fleabay for about £20, and being army issue are quite well made. Swede army surplus can also be found, but at a higher £££ ticket

Mudman has suplied the best/correct answer , if your fieldcraft is good then you won't have many problems , my opinion on the subject though is that DPM is as good if not better than anything on the market , also very hard wearing......and much cheaper !

exactly

Hi,
not sure I agree that camo is over rated, it is the whole package that counts - good fieldcraft skills and some form of camoflage clothing.

They complement each other.

Robbie

Last edited:
Back