Tick prevention

You need to be mindful how Frontline actually works. The product is in no way a repellent, it just kills fleas, lice and ticks. Fleas are good and easy to kill because they move about and pick up a large dose from the grease on the hairs. Ticks crawl to the skin, embed and feed. There is less opportunity for them to pick up a large dose so as to kill them quickly (especially once the Frontline has been on a couple of weeks).

What the Frontline does is kill the tick very effectively within 48 hours. Why is this important? Well for the tick to transmit vector born disease (Lyme disease etc) then the tick has to be attached (and alive!) for 48 hours or more. Merial pretty much guarantee the product will effectively kill ticks for a month after application.

If you expect not to see ticks on a dog treated with Frontline you just don't realise how it works. But they die before they cause a problem.

This is why I like the Scalibor collar - these actually repel them.

I thought that was the case Apache.

I apply it every 4 weeks but miss a dose when I start picking up less on myself and seeing less on the deer - is it adviseable to give the dogs a break from it?

Does anyone else have any problems with frontline not working? On my terrier it really doesn't seem to work, keep picking them off myself.
ATB
Wilf
Yes, we had this problem buying over the counter Frontline from our local Agricultural Merchant. In the end we asked our vet who supplied us with prescription strength Advocate which does work. Apparently the over the counter treatments have an ineffective formula. atbTim

I am a fan of the Scalibor collars for ticks. They give six months protection and are very cost effective. They have no licence claim for fleas but I'd be surprised if you saw a flea during its activity period.

Nothing to chose between Milbemax and Drontal. If you can buy it off the shelf in a pet shop or supermarket it won't be that good.

Absolutely!! (both the wormer efficacy and the sentiment)

Just to add to Apache's comment, frontline causes excitement of the fleas before death, so you may see more flea movement. If you think it is not working, check how it is applied, it has to go on the skin - on the hair is no good. It also takes longer to kill fleas in the last few days of its treatment period, which is why the vet frontline now has an added ingredient to stop any eggs hatching. The chemist frontline is the same stuff, same concentration. Its incredibly safe so you don't need to worry about effects on your dog and it is not absorbed into the body - just sits in the grease on the skin

Back