Deer wars

That is unreal!! I would love to have a beer with some of those guys and listen to the stories! Seems it was a bit easier to get a pilots licence back then too! I was amazed at one guy having 25000 hours and still being alive. Total respect for the work they were doing, although it seems barbaric sometimes, it was a necessity.

PS: 70% head shots on moving deer from a moving platform.. without going down the ethical route, that is some shooting!

sorry mate i have just posted the same footage didnt see you had done it earlier,atb wayne

A very interesting film.

The sheer numbers of deer wreaking havoc when they started is almost unfathomable.

As you say FFM when I heard the 70% stat I raised an eyebrow of jealousy.

Well posted Mereside.

DC

Fantastic film, thanks for posting.
Hand signals for stags or hinds, one finger stag, two fingers hind. Number of holes under the tail!:lol:
HASAW act had'nt been invented back then obviously.

Seeing as you think you know so much about it scattyboy how about giving us some facts instead of your usual snide remarks. Shooting deer from helicopters is illegal and would cost the pilot his flying licence as well as prosecution for the stalker. Get real!

I believe that they have banned the practice now...

It was a great time historicaly,i have met several that where involved, some proper men,now im not knocking the makmanship, but i have seen lots of footage where the deer are being slayn and grass is laid flat by the downdraught of the rotors, they where not 200 yds up....

Seeing as you think you know so much about it scattyboy how about giving us some facts instead of your usual snide remarks. Shooting deer from helicopters is illegal and would cost the pilot his flying licence as well as prosecution for the stalker. Get real!

Are you sure?

Does your opinion come from reading the Deer (Scotland) Act 1996?

Or, can you cite a prosecution in Scotland which confirms your statement?

Or, do you have some other bases for your assertions, which would make them fact rather than opinion?

My father cut his teeth as a "gutter", his only comment when I told him to watch it was "my god I'm suprised they are mostly still alive" he was a gutter for 2 years, then met my mum, that soon stopped it. my god-father still flies choppers in NZ although he now describes his buisness as a taxi servis.

after watching the whole series i'm surprised my father still stalks, I always wonderd how he could perfectly gralloch a stag in 20 seconds.

As far as this country goes if that sort of culling is called for then there must be something seriously wrong, there would have to be a complete break down in deer managment pricipals and a fairly large climate change, (unlikley to happen in our life times)

Andy

Are you sure?

Does your opinion come from reading the Deer (Scotland) Act 1996?

Or, can you cite a prosecution in Scotland which confirms your statement?

Or, do you have some other bases for your assertions, which would make them fact rather than opinion?

These are facts and not just an opinion. Not only the deer act but british aviation law also. If you doubt this call PDG Helicopters at Dalcross and ask them.

These are facts and not just an opinion. Not only the deer act but british aviation law also. If you doubt this call PDG Helicopters at Dalcross and ask them.

This is not an issue of doubt, I asked you to confirm your opinion as fact by providing some verification. I note you have restated your opinion but decline to verify. Thanks for your response.

This is not an issue of doubt, I asked you to confirm your opinion as fact by providing some verification. I note you have restated your opinion but decline to verify. Thanks for your response.

Tamus, Deer (Scotland) Act 1996 Section 20:
20 Other offences connected with moving vehicles.

(1)Subject to sections 25 and 41(2) of this Act and to subsection (2) below, any person who—
(a)discharges any firearm, or discharges or projects any missile, from any moving vehicle at any deer; or
(b)uses any aircraft for the purposes of transporting any live deer other than in the interior of the aircraft,shall be guilty of an offence.

Tamus, Deer (Scotland) Act 1996 Section 20:
20 Other offences connected with moving vehicles.

(1)Subject to sections 25 and 41(2) of this Act and to subsection (2) below, any person who—
(a)discharges any firearm, or discharges or projects any missile, from any moving vehicle at any deer; or
(b)uses any aircraft for the purposes of transporting any live deer other than in the interior of the aircraft,shall be guilty of an offence.

Now that you have quoted the law... Do you realise what "Subject to Sections 25 and 41(2)" actually mean?

They are the exemptions which make your absolute statement simply wrong.

Incidentally, you seemed to me to be labouring under the misapprehension that I was in any doubt. I am in no doubt.

Last edited:
What you have to realise is that there were thousands of red deer in NZ in the 60s, when the culling was done by foot in the early days a culler could take 800-1000 deer in a 8-9 month season, when they moved to mowing them from a chopper they were taking 1000/month! Get the video The Venison Hunters if you're interested!

Cervus I think the guy was just having a joke! Bit touchy about the forestry maybe? He never said anything about using helicopters! Perhaps you need to get off your high horse!

Back