Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cwd rta

Cwd rta

Had a call from the police this morning to attend an RTA atTunstead involving a small deer with a badly broken hind leg. As a small deerin the past has turned out to be a 4 year old red stag I leave home coveringall angles: a .30 cal rifle, .22 rifle, .38 revolver and my dog.
    Got on site same time as the PC and the CWD was laying downabout 30m in the field watching us, as we were on a single track side roadthere was no pressure with traffic.
    I figured I would stalk in to get behind here and shoot her between the ears with the .22.
    All went well until I was a metre behind and back went hereears, I was sussed and up and away she went on three legs towards the PC and over the bank into the wood across the road.
    I went back to the truck and unloaded the .22 and swappedfor the .308 as I would not be able to get in point black now and would have totake her from the road. Three times I got on the sticks from different anglesand as soon as went to get behind the scope so she would up and move.
    When she did present the shot she was sky lined and hadTunstead village behind her so no go.
    Back to the truck and unload the .308 and get Max out to domy job for me. He was on her scent straight away and within 30 seconds ofleaving the back of the truck he had her down and in a choke hold. He held heruntil I got to him and he then released the hold and moved out of the way oncommand, he is such a good boy. I shot her with the .38, made sure she was deadand then cleared everything with the PCwho duly went on his way.
    I normally put rta’s out of site and leave them for thefox’s or whatever but as she only had a severed rear hock figured she would dofor the dogs.
    I was gobsmacked when I gralloched here and found 3 fawnsvery close to being dropped, a female and two males.
    I know that Roe andFallow sometimes fawn early but I have never known it with CWD, if anyone onhere has I would be very interested to know.
    I culled my last CWD doe end of Feb and she was pregnantsame as the others through the season with foetus’s no bigger than 5 to 7centimetres so this doe was served well early considering the rut isNovember/December.
    Thanks for looking and please post your views.

Good job,a good dogs worth it's weight in gold
    Well done

Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

A job well done

Looks like a young Doe?
    It could have been born a little early itself and then coverd late in its first year. It happens with larger species.
    Good result either way. I'm guessing you have permission on all the surrounding land?
    I've never been that 'tooled up' on an RTA callout though!

well done great story and good dog, glad you got her. sounds like a text book job you did and to you.

On a personal note i think seeing the three young laid in such a manner is a bit much. I am not an anti by any means.

regards and best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    I'm guessing you have permission on all the surrounding land?
    The PC can authorise the shooting on land without permission on humane grounds.

Thanks for sharing Max, do CWD usually carry triplets?

Nice job D

not sure wot you did with the young, but if you get another could you possibly save me a couple of young if big enough ,
    as a friend is after one for her taxidermy collection
    many thanks

Nothing like going prepared Max!

Pregnant with a broken leg, can't imagine how difficult that would have been for her should she had got away and given birth...

Quote Originally Posted by 243Sako View Post
    The PC can authorise the shooting on land without permission on humane grounds.

RUBBISH! No he can't!!!!!!
    Unless you have the permission of the owner you are committing armed trespass!

Please see below. For the purposes of Humane Dispatch an officer if present may issue lawful authority (which he has) to a HAD to carry out a dispatch as this is the same principle used on roads. Not rubbish.

Trespassing with a weapon of offence.
    A person who is on any premises as a trespasser, after having entered as such, is guilty of an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, he has with him on the premises any weapon of offence.
    In subsection (1) above “weapon of offence” means any article made or adapted for use for causing injury to or incapacitating a person, or intended by the person having it with him for such use.
    A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three months or to a fine not exceeding [F1level 5 on the standard scale] or to both.
    A constable in uniform may arrest without warrant anyone who is, or whom he, with reasonable cause, suspects to be, in the act of committing an offence under this section