Moderator shot off!!

buck52

One of our syndicate was stalking on Sunday when he spotted a Doe & kid on some clearfell.

When he shot at the Doe the moderator (a T eight) flew off the rifle (.223), the shot killed the doe, he reloaded and then shot the kid! When he picked up the moderator he found it had (his words) flattened the threads on the barrel, or stripped I presume.

What do you think could have caused it, the moderator has been on the rifle for a couple of years, it has not blown out the moddy.

What I find strange is that the point of impact could not have altered too much when he shot the kid, on my rifle the point of impact is 11" different. I should say he is not prone to exagerate.

Any thoughts?

Sounds to me like whoever threaded it cut it undersize! There is no way threads should strip if they cut to the right diameter..

regards
griff

I agree, sounds like a poor threading job to me! Never heard of anything like this happening to anybody before but I will now go and check my T8 for piece of mind.

Both my rifles shoot about about 4 inches high with the mods. off.

if the mod had been on for a couple of years the threads could of been badly corroded

niko,
if thats the case, then its bad maintenance!
mod should be unscrewed every time its fired..

regards
griff

niko said:
if the mod had been on for a couple of years the threads could of been badly corroded

I would certianly agree if the mod had never been removed over a period of time..

NELL

griff said:
niko,
if thats the case, then its bad maintenance!
mod should be unscrewed every time its fired..

regards
griff
agreed, but the way the op wrote it does sound like it was

I had a PES do this but the outer separated from the inner and went off like a missile. Was on a .300 win so you can imagine the ringing in my ears and the bruised face. The manufacturers didn't want to know so the mod was modified by my smith by tig welding the outer an inner together. Proofed and refitted was an excellent job. Never got confidence back in rifle though so it was sold. An experience I wouldn't wish to repeat and we never did find out why it separated.

Ta

G

Seenit

I have seen the PES moderator seperate on a range after the guy had just bought it. Obviously not an isolated incident

Back