Roe skin preperation

u32dw

Hi All,

I have a Roe skin which i am hoping to Tan ( hair on ). At the moment i have the skin stretched and fleshed, and has been covered in salt for the last 24hrs or so.

So how long should you leave the skin in salt for...how do you know its ready for the next stage? I have been looking at the K-Tan kit from snowdonia Taxidermy, and was wonderig if anyone out there has had any experience with it?

Any advice would be great.

ATB

Dave

I don't have much experience of tanning from start to finish but I have prepared skins for commercial tanners before. I would always chuck loads of salt on as soon as possible. If you leave it too long then the the less chance you have of it holding on to its fur. The salt will draw out all the moisture. You can tip off the liquid and resalt it and leave it or roll it up and put it on a shelf for as long as you want. That is what I was told anyway!

you leave it until its dry,you wont be able to roll it up as it will be as stiff as a board,just make sure you have the salt about 1/2" deep ,and you might have to dump the salt and resalt especialy where the skin is thickest (back of neck) also make sure you have it stapled to a board to keep it from curling. Once dried it will last for years in a dried state, but whatch out for moths as thay will eat the skin, tanning is easy and cheap if you dont go out and buy an expensive kit.

No disrespect but what you have just described is curing not tanning. Salting and leaving the skin will not tan it!! You need to look at Lutan FN, tanning to tan properly, or if its a rug you want you need to chrome tan it.

This has been discussed before on the site, so look under the taxidermy thread and you will find several recipes.

Good luck

No disrespect but what you have just described is curing not tanning. Salting and leaving the skin will not tan it!! You need to look at Lutan FN, tanning to tan properly, or if its a rug you want you need to chrome tan it.

This has been discussed before on the site, so look under the taxidermy thread and you will find several recipes.

Good luck

Thanks,

I have found a recipe of yours which uses Lutan FN But I'm unsure of one of your quantities:

Buy yourself some Lutan FN tanning powder, or a Ktan tanning kit. I use Lutan FN, and after fixing the skin I then mix 7galls of warm water, 3lbs of salt, 40z of Bicarb, and about 7oz of Tanning oil, plus 12oz of Lutan FN Tanning Powder. Mix it up and drop the skin back in and punch it into the mix to release any air pockets. Go back every 15 minutes for the next hour and stir and punch the skin into the solution with a large stick. Leave for about 2 days.

I assume thats 4oz and not 40oz?? Where can I lay my hands on some formic Acid? You say that the PH must be monitored and if it falls below a certain level the skin will slip, what level is best to prevent the skin slipping?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

The tanners that all my skins went to was Fenland Sheepskins, bridgewater. They closed down last year. They charged £25 pounds for each Roe that I gave them which is much cheaper than if I did it and with better results! I am still on the lookout for an alternative to them. Let us know how it turns out as I would be interested.

Good luck
he didnt ask about tanning,only salting,i never said that it is the way to tan hides.

Thanks,

I have found a recipe of yours which uses Lutan FN But I'm unsure of one of your quantities:

Buy yourself some Lutan FN tanning powder, or a Ktan tanning kit. I use Lutan FN, and after fixing the skin I then mix 7galls of warm water, 3lbs of salt, 40z of Bicarb, and about 7oz of Tanning oil, plus 12oz of Lutan FN Tanning Powder. Mix it up and drop the skin back in and punch it into the mix to release any air pockets. Go back every 15 minutes for the next hour and stir and punch the skin into the solution with a large stick. Leave for about 2 days.

I assume thats 4oz and not 40oz?? Where can I lay my hands on some formic Acid? You say that the PH must be monitored and if it falls below a certain level the skin will slip, what level is best to prevent the skin slipping?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Hi Dave,
it is 4oz, it was a typo error on my behalf, the bicarb neautralises the acid. You do not need a PH meter for a Roe as it will tan in 24 hrs anyway.

Thanks to all for the advice. Got some k-tan on order and will try the formic acid / bicard recipe with a second skin. I'll post the results once i've done it... should be interesting!

Cheers

Dave

Back