Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drive-by shooting (or Stick to the Plan!!)

Drive-by shooting (or Stick to the Plan!!)

We learn?.......

On one of my permissions there is a fair amount of area to cover so most of my shooting is done from my vehicle - plus I like to know that all I need is with me in my vehicle. I also find “touring” can be more productive than high seat (or static vehicle) sitting and the local wildlife seem fairly comfortable with passing traffic.

Normally, when I shoot a deer, I will either drive the vehicle to the spot where it lays or (if that is not possible) I will take the roe sack. If I take the vehicle to the dead animal I then suspend it from an old towball-mounted bike rack to do the gralloch plus head & feet off before taking to my local game dealer for prepping (15 jointed & packed, freezer ready – good value I reckon).

Friday evening, with the last knockings of daylight imminent (but still definitely legal !!!), I rounded the last corner in the last field for that evening tour and there, at about 220 yards just emerging from a mid-field scrubby pond surround, was a muntie buck. I mounted the rifle and thought shall I / shan't I because, A) I don’t particularly like gralloching in the dark and, B) I was getting a bit late for being home for Madam’s vino time (6pm).

Anyway the 22-250 rifle (and me) had been performing fairly well earlier with a couple of longish range rabbits plus a crow and a magpie but the overriding decision maker was the bleatings that I had been getting from the (long departed, homes of their own) kids “we’ve run out of venison. When are you going to top our freezers up?”

Decision made I squeezed the trigger and heard the satisfying “therwump” of a 55gr Sierra SP smack home and the buck just fell sideways and did not move.

Not having the time to wait for any possible second deer to appear I got out of the car, grabbed my knife plus gloves out of the Roe Sack (why did I not take the whole bloody thing I have no idea) and started across the field which I then noticed was wet heavy soil which had been ploughed in to potato stitches the size of mini tsunami’s!

By the time I reached the deer I was near knackered just carrying a knife but there it lay with a perfect heart / lung entry hole and no exit wound. Well done Mr Remington, Mr Hodgdon and Mr Sierra. Well pleased.

I then went to move the deer to the nearby pond bank in order to bleed it and I thought “bloody hell, this thing is huge”. Possibly the biggest muntie I have ever shot.

Anyway, I bled it out then performed (for me) a fairly quick and surprisingly tidy for a laid-on-side gralloch after which I picked up the deer to finish the rest off at the car.

I maybe getting on a bit & I consider myself fairly fit but after 50 yards of arms-length muntie swinging in (what seemed to be) ever deepening soft-mud WW1 trenches I had to stop.

After the second 50 yards my arms were burning with pain and my boots had taken on mud clumps the size of snow shoes with still a further 100 yards or so to go.

Anyway, I eventually got back to the car where I completed the prep - but I was shattered.

Saturday morning I could hardly get out of bed. Sunday was worse and even today (Monday) the tops of my arms still feel like lumps of lead.

Next time I will definitely take the roe sack. If its a fallow it can live in peace!
    Last edited by Eyefor; 05-03-2012 at 11:33.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Ah Pirelli stalking

Bloody hell - good job it wasn't a red! I had to drag a hind back to the truck the other day. On my own, over boggy ground - and, by the time I'd got it gralloched, in the dark.

Park the car+walk, funnily enough you get fitter. Makes dragging deer easier

The joys of heavy clay soils.

I had to carry two un-grallocked munties 400 mtrs out of a marsh a few weeks ago. Luckily I always carry a length of bailing twine in my pocket so I tied their legs together and slung them over my shoulder.
    By the time I reached the truck I had a wellie full of claret and clothes to match, and I was contemplating a heart attack. Brilliant day.

Moral of the story, your clothes will wash, just throw it over your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Ah Pirelli stalking
    Yokohama, please....
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

general grabber AT2's. dont the deer twig after a while what is coming thier way ?

a few years ago i shot 3 good doe's 200yds out,i carried them back to the hedge one at a time then grallocked them,then i carried all 3 with with my varmint rifle and binos about 1 mile uphill across wet ploughed fields,i stopped twice,once to get over a gate and next stop was over a barbed wire fence and v ditch,both times to get my breath back,i was sweating like never before,weighed in carcases next morning and all 3 together was 124lb.never again will i do 3 and lug them that far,did 2 yesterday near the same spot.still made me sweat though,didnt stop this time.
    Last edited by swarovski; 05-03-2012 at 22:13.

This is the first time i have ever heard of a hard drag with a muntie!

What an incredibly lazy way to shoot deer

If you cannot shift a muntie a few hundred metres without struggling then I would seriously consider a trip to the docs for a health check