Which .22lr? Sako quad?

MrMickeyD

Hi folks,

I know this has been asked many times before but i think my question differs a little from those already asked.
I need to carry out some pest control on an area of new planted broadleaf forest, but with only 12g and .243 i need a new rimfire.

At present i have .22lr on my FAC and with the cheap, very available and subsonic ammo, reckon this is my best cal. But some of the damage to the trees is clearly hare not just rabbit so maybe i need a .17hmr (or mach2) as well.

So here is the question, do you think i should buy a cheap (prob s/h) CZ 452 and in future if i need the longer range for the hares than buy a second rimfire in .17?

Though i say a CZ .22lr, what are your thoughts on the Browning T-bolt? I have browning shotguns and A-bolt in .243 so quite like the Browning brand...

Or buy the sako quad with a .22lr barrel and when i get .17hmr on FAC just get the second barrel? Does the sako really give you a decent multi-purpose rifle or is it like the multi-tool that gives a crap knife, crap pliers, crap screwdriver etc etc....

Cheers for any comments
Mike

I have the Quad.

my .22 groups are single hole at 50yds with WinSubs.
Only catch is they apparently cut the rifling very close to the chamber so occasionally you get live rounds that dont eject first time. this is easily solved and only happens if you use really waxy rounds or dont clean the chamber now and then.

the biggest issue with multi barrel rifle is the scope and zero maintenance.
I solved this with post style Leupold QR mounts and a scope per barrel (I have all four calibres)

I use the .22lr and .17M2 calibres more than anything else. (I find the HMR is noisy, expensive and overkill for my purposes)
ammo for these two are effectively the same price.
The M2 is a necked down .22 LR and flat out to 100 1ith 4" drop between 100-150 and 12" at 200.

You can swap a barrel and scope in less than a minute. My set up holds its zero so well I rarely check it between changes other than shooting a dandelion head or similar in the field.

I went the whole hog and got the walnut hunter, I changed some of the fittings to blacked CNC Aluminium items (bolt/Trigger guard) and fitted a PES moderator. In this format it is a quite heavy but I like that.

cant comment on the CZ options but it depends on how many rifles you want. I quite often take a spare barrel and scope with me just in case.

I've had a 16" barrelled cz for about 6 years, put thousands of bullets through it, high velocity, subs & super subs & its never let me down, never bullet fussy, still single holes at 50 yards. I've shot most 22 lr's and would put it up against most of them and it was half the price!! The new thumbhole version looks a cracker.

Just out of interest, what would two CZs with scopes cost vs. a quad with two barrels and scopes? This doesn't take into account that two complete rifles are likely to get you out od trouble if one goes wrong, unlike a single action.

David.

I'd just get a cheap secondhand little 22lr or 17machII. If you have them available there, the little Zastavas are also a great little 22. I wouldn't worry about a switch barrel to give the option of the magnum rimfires - as i think they are about to be rendered obsolete.

Instead, i'd be planning on getting the new little 17 hornet down the track. Hornady has just standardised the 17 ackley hornet, and ruger and savage are starting to chamber them. They are claiming 3600fps. With the option of reloading and the potential to download to 17HMR specs, i think it will make the 22WMR and 17HMR obsolete. I am just hoping we see some better rifles introduced for the cartridge.

Hornady has just standardised the 17 ackley hornet, and ruger and savage are starting to chamber them. They are claiming 3600fps. With the option of reloading and the potential to download to 17HMR specs, i think it will make the 22WMR and 17HMR obsolete. I am just hoping we see some better rifles introduced for the cartridge.

you have as much chance of the .22lr becoming obsolete.
the WMR sells by the hundreds of millions for the very reason that you dont have to think about brass and reloading

Mines the varmint barrel mate, you'd be makin the right chioce if thats what your after. To be honest the old style factory triggers were a little hard & sticky so i fitted a kit from South Yorkshire Shooting Supplies for about a tenner & thats been no trouble, i think cz now do a factory single set so the after market job may be a thing of the past.

Thanks for your thoughts guys, i like the point about the price differences between say 2 x cz 452 and the quad with second barrel with the Sako still being dearer. Also good point that a malfunction in the action would render essentially 2 rifles out of action.

Think i'll go for a new CZ 452 Silhouette in .22lr and buy another secondhand rifle if needed. Got the .22lr slot and not the 17 on the FAC anyhows...

How is the 22lr going to get on with Hares? with them often being at greater distances than the bunnies? Guess head shots fine at 50yrds but how about 70-80yrds - still going to get good hits?

Cheers, Mike

Last edited:
Good choice Mike. Hares are no problem with the 22lr, watch your range though. Try some winchester subs they batter small game.

Are you comparing 2 second hand CZ with a second hand Quad?

I paid £1050 for a Walnut stock hunter and 4 barrels brand new.
think your prices may be off as there are lots of second hand Quads with all the gear, extra clips, scopes, moderators etc for very low money

£450 http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/30289-sako-quad-synthetic-varmint-22-rifle-and-sak-mod-with-set-trigger?highlight=sako+quad

£
600 http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/30289-sako-quad-synthetic-varmint-22-rifle-and-sak-mod-with-set-trigger?highlight=sako+quad

b
arrel for £130 (bit steep as they are only around £150 new!)
http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/20958-Sako-Quad-Barrel?highlight=sako+quad

c
ould you really get two "decent" CZ's with scopes and mods for £600-750?

Would it matter,?? the CZ is every bit as good as the sako anyway.

The cz 455 would be my choice, I have the 452 but want to trade up. And hares are no problem at all, if you have to shoot them.

Looking at new prices from Sportsman...

CZ452 silhouette .22 lr £352
CZ452 silhouette .17hmr £385
Both £737

Sako Quad .22lr £588
second barrel £ 185
Combined £ 773

Not loads in it, and i'm sure better prices are around.... Also, might buy cz 22lr new and the .17 s/h saving further pennies .....
Think i need to have a feel of the m both in the shop then choose, though i'm lean towards the cz.

I notice nobody has made comment on the Browning T-bolt as per my opening post?!! Does that say it all?

Mike

I have a Quad in .17 and a Finnfire in .22, although the whole idea of the Quad sounds good I would never be bothered with the hassle of changing barrels etc.. Out of the interest the two rifles I have (both second hand) cost about the same as the quoted figures above! Both rifles are faultless, a mate has a CZ in .22 which is also very accurate and never missed a beat.

i had a cz style in 22lr and it was very accurate. the trigger needed a trigger kit. but you can get them from rimfire magic. it was very accurate with eley subs.
but being a fool i sold it and kept my annie hmr.

after a couple of months i missed having the 22lr in the cabinet so found a annie 1417 in 22lr. better trigger then the cz and lovely and compact being 14 inch barrel.
I would say its a bit more accurate but next to nothing in it.

in 22lr unless you want to spend that bit extra the cz's are more then up to the job. they off god build and accuracy for not much money.

secondhand is the way to go imo

I've had a crack with the T bolt, i remember it being a straight pull. It was well built with a nice stock though the barrel was to long. Browning priced it out of the market though, it was as expensive as its german & finnish competition. It could of been a good seller. Importers should listen more to guys on web sites like this one.

Back