Start and End load data for .308 Hornady A-Max 155gr

A J

I'm just wondering if anyone has a Hornady load manual to hand and would be kind enough to let me know what the start and end loads are for the A-Max 155gr in .308?

I have the latest Speer manual, but haven't been able to find a copy of the Hornady load manual locally. QuickLOAD tells me that n135 is probably most suitable, but I'd like see what Hornady recommend and how much powder I should be starting with.

Sorry not the latest as mine is a 7th edition book but here goes:-

Hornady 155 grain A-max 0.308"

Vhit N135 start= 35.8 grn Max = 42.3 grn

Lee's updated 2nd Edition of Modern Reloading has Vit 135 data for 155 grain bullets. So does the VV on-line loading manual.

Do you feel that only Hornady can provide data for a 155 grain bullet???~Muir

Lee's updated 2nd Edition of Modern Reloading has Vit 135 data for 155 grain bullets. So does the VV on-line loading manual.

Do you feel that only Hornady can provide data for a 155 grain bullet???~Muir

Hi Muir, I'm new to reloading and I was under the impression that it was correct practice to consult the load data for the manufacturer of the projectile you were using. I take it from your comments that this is not strictly the case?

Ahhh nope tis not. I only answered the question asked as I had a Hornady book to hand. Mind you i also have Vhit 1st and 4th eds, Speer # 12,13 & 14, Norma No1 ed, Hodgdons 26th and a 2009 Annual manual, Richard Lees Modern relading plus a load of the free booklets.. I sort of accumulate them :D.

Ahhh nope tis not. I only answered the question asked as I had a Hornady book to hand. Mind you i also have Vhit 1st and 4th eds, Speer # 12,13 & 14, Norma No1 ed, Hodgdons 26th and a 2009 Annual manual, Richard Lees Modern relading plus a load of the free booklets.. I sort of accumulate them :D.

Haha! I'll no doubt be adding to my 'collection' over time by the sounds of things. The Viht charts online don't mention Hornady projectiles and their data for Sierra HPBT 155gr and Lapua Scenar 155gr differ noticeably. The Hornady information you kindly provided me differs again, so I'm guessing it's safest to use the Hornady load data?

Hi A J.

In the Hornady 8th edition manual, N135 is not listed for .308 Win in the 150-155 grain bullet table. They have N140, and the data is as follows :-

Start - 39.3 // MAX - 45.8

My friend uses IMR 4895 in his .308 Win with 150 grain SST bullets and gets really excellent results for group size and velocity. The data range for that powder is :-

Start - 37.7 // MAX - 46.4

All the best.

Neil.

Haha! I'll no doubt be adding to my 'collection' over time by the sounds of things. The Viht charts online don't mention Hornady projectiles and their data for Sierra HPBT 155gr and Lapua Scenar 155gr differ noticeably. The Hornady information you kindly provided me differs again, so I'm guessing it's safest to use the Hornady load data?

If you want to chase down the Hornady data, I guess is would be so. VV's site shows .6 grains difference in starting charge between Scenar and the Sierra offering in that weight. Since it is common practice to reduce starting charges 5% and work up, do you think it will matter??

Lee's book only lists "155 grain Bullets" in their data fore 308. With few exceptions, physics are physics and the case, powder, and breech doesn't discern between bullet makes. It is the slight differences in bearing surface and metal hardness is part of what makes starting low and working up a good thing to do.

I never load to bullet makers data, only the powder makers data. Internal ballistics is their business.~Muir

Your thinking about this wrongly............................................. think not maximum velocity instead think maximum precision and repeatability ;).

The other thing is that there is more than one type of plastic tipped bullet with different expansions rates and jacket thickness. Some are bonded cores and some are simply cup and core construction.

Use the wrong type of ballistic tip/polymer tip/plastic tip bullet in the wrong situation and you may have a badly bloodshot carcase. Bullets kill be creating damage to the vital organs and systems so there will always be some carcase damage. How much can be the deciding factor. For instance place the bullets point of impact in the wrong place and you can wreck a lot of meat regardless of the bullet being plastic tipped or not.

Bit of a nubie question but would the a max ammo damage the meat a fair amount?? Being ballistic tip and what not.

Please don't restart that debate Norfolk Shooter. Have a look at previous postings regarding A-Max bullets and suitability/ legality for deer stalking. Frankly it's been debated to death numerous times and now gets on my tits. :drool:

Please don't restart that debate Norfolk Shooter. Have a look at previous postings regarding A-Max bullets and suitability/ legality for deer stalking. Frankly it's been debated to death numerous times and now gets on my tits. :drool:

Sorry about that.

Sorry mate I'm not that serious about it, but the subject does seem to really divide opinions. If you want the full story regarding A-Max it's all recorded on the site somewhere so a simple search will reveal how strongly some people feel about these bullets. There is also information on the BASC and NRA websites about this bullet and it's legal status.

Back