Blaser R8 help please

Vipa

Chaps... have just taken delivery of my R8 pro.

I have a very nice Brownells Latigo Quickset 1 1/4" leather sling which I want to use on my R8. To do this I need 1 1/4" QD swivels but Blaser, in their infinite wisdom have decided to use studs with smaller diameter holes than seems to be the norm meaning I can't use anything but the swivels suppled with the Blaser sling. These are quite narrow and useless to me.

Does anyone know of any QD swivels that will fit the blaser studs?

My other option is to drill the studs out slightly which, for obvious reasons, I am very reluctant to do!!!

Vipa, Not only are the holes through the studs smaller than the usual Uncle Mikes but the stud is also narrower - 6mm not the usual 8mm.
I have just had the same problem, sort of, my sling was 2cm wide and all the swivel loops in UK are either 1" or 1.1/4" and for a stud width of 8mm but the rod would not go through the stud anyway.
I had to get a set of swivels from Alan Rhone at a cost of £40, even if you get a set from him the loop will not be wide enough for your sling unfortunately.
By the way, I tried drilling the holes and all I managed to do was ruin some good quality HS drill bits!!!
Ian Mulliner of Mulliner guns Wimborne may be able to help you, give him a ring.

I had a similar problem on a R93, I drilled the stud holes out and then took up any slack with loctite, I don't think that I would ever try that again, when I got my new R8 (from Ian Mulliner) I managed to get the Blaser sling for an acceptable price. The alternative would have been to buy properly engineered studs. atb Tim

I had a similar problem on a R93, I drilled the stud holes out and then took up any slack with loctite, I don't think that I would ever try that again, when I got my new R8 (from Ian Mulliner) I managed to get the Blaser sling for an acceptable price. The alternative would have been to buy properly engineered studs. atb Tim

tim good advice this is exactly what I did bought the sling from Ians regards pete .

:eek:

The alternative would have been to buy properly engineered studs. atb Tim

And there are some who are trying to tell us non Blaser owners how perfect they are and how well engineered :rolleyes:.

No it cannot be that they are vastly over rated and way over priced in reality :confused: ...............................................................

can it?

And there are some who are trying to tell us non Blaser owners how perfect they are and how well engineered :rolleyes:.

No it cannot be that they are vastly over rated and way over priced in reality :confused: ...............................................................

can it?

Thanks for your uninvited input... really appreciated! There is no engineering issue, Mauser and Blaser use smaller metric pins rather than lager imperial pins that come out of the States... this is a size issue not a quality issue!

:eek:And there are some who are trying to tell us non Blaser owners how perfect they are and how well engineered :rolleyes:.No it cannot be that they are vastly over rated and way over priced in reality :confused: can it?
The problem, if it can be called that, only arises when we Blaser owners try to cut corners and fit American swivels and British ones made after the American style, to European rifles.
A bit like trying to get Ford Fiesta spares to fit a BMW or Mercedes:D
I have no issues with mine over quality whatsoever:)

Last edited:
Strangely enough it was a leather embossed Mauser Sling I got with the rifle but the swivels didn't fit. There is no harm in drilling them as long as you choose a drill bit with the minimum clearance for the swivel you are going to use. I simply offerd up the sling pin to a drill gauge then driled 1/10 of a mm larger than this so I have a nice tight fit and there is no need to mess about with loctite. This takes little or no engineering accumin. If the studs are slightly loose then whip them out and loctite them in at this point.

Regards

Dave

This is not worth being a snob about and spending £80 to get a solution.

Last edited:
Thanks for your uninvited input... really appreciated! There is no engineering issue, Mauser and Blaser use smaller metric pins rather than lager imperial pins that come out of the States... this is a size issue not a quality issue!

:rofl: Oh sorry I did not realise one needed an invite to comment. I shall try to remember that in future ;).

Note the OP was trying to use a European Mauser sling :doh:and I believe the same people own Blaser and Mauser so one would have thought it should fit .................................................... obviously not it seems.

Once you drill them out I do suppose you treat the now bare metal?

can it?
Brithunter, what I was referring to if you read what I said was that the alternative to my "amateur" attempt to drill out the stud holes was to obtain a properly engineered product. There is nothing whatever wrong with the manufacturers studs if you fit the Blaser European type sling as opposed to the American type whch you are no doubt aware is a different size. atb Tim

I think all Blaser owners suffer this situation.

Unfortunately I don't know of QD swivels that will be wide enough for your sling but as others have said if you contact Alan Rhone (who used to be the Blaser importer and who offers good service in my experience) he has Recknagel QD swivels which are great but probably only for 1 inch wide slings however they are the only thing that will take a very thick leather sling like the very nice one I got from Westley Richards. Alan might also be able to source wider swivels. Here are a few photos with my rifle with the Recknagel swivels fitted:

qd.jpg

WestleyRichardssling.jpg

When you are talking about drilling out the hole - do you mean the hole in the metal stud or the stock so as to fit a new compatible stud? Sounds like you mean the drilling the metal stud....

Back