Weird Calibres?

I'm not in the UK either, but I've used the 7.62x54r on whitetail. My wife got me a .35 whelen for christmas which I hope to take after elk this fall if I draw a tag.

The report is absolutely deafening. It is unmodded and I have no intention of wearing ear defenders whilst out stalking. Moreover I pretty much use my.308 exclusively. I am not exaggerating, it is louder than my 300 Win Mag which has as a muzzle brake fitted. We're the report not so loud, I would consider using it......

Are you even aware of the report when you shoot? I don't ever remember being aware of the noise the rifle makes when it goes off. I use muffs ("defenders"?) when I shoot at the range but never in the field and never notice the noise.~Muir

PS: I'll take that nasty 6.5x57 off of your hands if it really bothers you! :D

I use a Contender 14 incher in 6.5 JDJ and also a .357 Remington Maximum with the rifle stock fitted to make it legal length the 6.5 is a real tack driver with 120 grainers.
Martin

Seeing as the 303 was mentioned earlier,thought I would admit to using a Lee Enfield regularly. Must admit not really part of this thread as it has been converted to 308. It is a real joy to shoot, never operated a smoother bolt.

Referring to Muir's comment about hearing the report, I don't think "not hearing it" means it isn't still damaging your hearing. I had a spell in my youth when I was shooting well (well by my standards anyway) when I could hear the firing pin contacting the primer but not be aware of the report. It only happened on very good days though. Interesting thing concentration and awareness.

David.

Are you even aware of the report when you shoot? I don't ever remember being aware of the noise the rifle makes when it goes off. I use muffs ("defenders"?) when I shoot at the range but never in the field and never notice the noise.~Muir

PS: I'll take that nasty 6.5x57 off of your hands if it really bothers you! :D

When I am stalking I am oblivious to the report and any recoil, unlike say in the range, where my senses are much more aware. Maybe I have not made myself clear enough; it is just this particular gun which is very noisy, regardless of brand of ammunition that I use. For want of a better expression, it is a proper blunderbus. I dont see what the fuss is about? As it is, I prefer to use my 308 for nearly all my deer hunting, it does not have a mod on it and it shoots perfectly. Below is a link to a picture of it.

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq9/lynnzurich/?action=view&current=65x57045.jpg

The woodwork on the gun is beautiful and it is lovely to shoot (with ear defenders:D) The floor plate is a bit of a bugger to operate. I had thought of changing the mounting base but the price quoted, CHF 1500, is considerably more than the value of the gun. Below is a video of my wife shooting it, years ago.

When I am stalking I am oblivious to the report and any recoil, unlike say in the range, where my senses are much more aware. Maybe I have not made myself clear enough; it is just this particular gun which is very noisy, regardless of brand of ammunition that I use. For want of a better expression, it is a proper blunderbus. I dont see what the fuss is about? As it is, I prefer to use my 308 for nearly all my deer hunting, it does not have a mod on it and it shoots perfectly. Below is a link to a picture of it.

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq9/lynnzurich/?action=view&current=65x57045.jpg

The woodwork on the gun is beautiful and it is lovely to shoot (with ear defenders:D) The floor plate is a bit of a bugger to operate. I had thought of changing the mounting base but the price quoted, CHF 1500, is considerably more than the value of the gun. Below is a video of my wife shooting it, years ago.

No fuss on my part, just curiosity. I am so single minded when I shoot that I never remember the sound of the shot. I wonder if it's much worse than a 6.5x55??

That is a beautiful rifle! My offer to take it off your hands still stands.....~Muir

I don't hear the "actual" shot going off, but I relish the sound of the "report" going around the valley / wooded areas, for me it's all part of "The juice".......... as in the film, Heat.:eek:

No fuss on my part, just curiosity. I am so single minded when I shoot that I never remember the sound of the shot. I wonder if it's much worse than a 6.5x55??

That is a beautiful rifle! My offer to take it off your hands still stands.....~Muir

I don`t have the 6.5 Swedish so I can`t compare. I have .222, .223, .243, .30-06, .308, .300 WIN MAG, 9.3x62 and 375H&H. Probably a few more calibres which dont spring to mind, but the 6.5x57 is painful on the ears. There is an an identical rifle in 8x57 which I might get. THe only thing that puts me off it is that the barrel is in very poor condition. Nevertheless, I do like the Mauser actions and their history. I`m glad you like them.

For your interest there are quite a few sporterised Schmidt&Rubin K31s around also. Aesthetically, they don`t do it for me!

I don`t have the 6.5 Swedish so I can`t compare. I have .222, .223, .243, .30-06, .308, .300 WIN MAG, 9.3x62 and 375H&H. Probably a few more calibres which dont spring to mind, but the 6.5x57 is painful on the ears. There is an an identical rifle in 8x57 which I might get. THe only thing that puts me off it is that the barrel is in very poor condition. Nevertheless, I do like the Mauser actions and their history. I`m glad you like them.

For your interest there are quite a few sporterised Schmidt&Rubin K31s around also. Aesthetically, they don`t do it for me!

Certainly is must be the frequency of the blast that is getting to you.

I also like the Mausers. I have plainer tastes tho, most of my guns are in 8x57J or JS and were Estate-type guns. Simple embellishments and plain wood. My latest "fetish" in Mausers have been Husqvarna Model 648 sporters made on the civilian version of the Model 96 Swede action. I have three of them in 8x57JS dating from the middle-late 1940's. Quality of metal work and generally fine condition aside, is something about the design of the stock that appeals: the rifle comes up naturally and the fixed (regulated to 196 grain loads) iron sights drop right into line with the quarry. A pleasure to hunt with.

I like K-31's but not in a sporter, I don't think! I have several veteran K's and I'd like to drill and tap one for scope mounts if for no other reason than to see how accurate they REALLY are without the limitations of iron sights. The guns are getting pricey again so I probably won't do it, but if I did, I'd leave it in its original stock. I do have a sad example of an 1911 Engineers Carbine that some (ass) one had gotten to before I bought it: hacked the stock and drilled and tapped it for Weaver bases. I haven't shot it. It makes me too sad to see it outside it's slot in the gun room....:cry:~Muir

Muir. Glad we agree on sporterised K31s. I have not seen any that have been drilled and tapped except for some on YouTube. The groups were not great.

I'm not surprised they have increased in price........the Dollar has Been very weak against the Franc for several years. All the best. Conor

Back