Training a Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla

DavieH

Hi Guys.
Is there anybody on the site that could help me out with a Training Programme for my newly aquired HWV.
He is 1 year old and walks to heel,sits to voice and whistle and stays to voice and whistle (with no game or birds around).
His faults just now comprise of pointing, not a problem but when a bird rises he runs after it and takes no heed of voice or whistle.
It was that bad last week he done a Fenton but with Seagulls not deer.
What I am looking for is a Timetable for training if at all possible.

Any help would be appreciated.
P1220725.JPG

My Rebus

Many thanks

DavieH

Take your time with him,he's still a pup
On the other hand you've got to nip this in the bud
Back to basics and control the dog so he doesn't get this opportunities to chase
You haven't got control of him if he chases things,he's basically taking the **** out of you if he knows sit etc
As for a training programme,each dog comes on at different rates,down to you to read your dog and suss this out
I'd be going back to basics with him and take your time and bond with the dog,WHV are pups until they are about 2
If you struggle PM me,I may be able to help you
ATB

Take your time with him,he's still a pup
On the other hand you've got to nip this in the bud
Back to basics and control the dog so he doesn't get this opportunities to chase
You haven't got control of him if he chases things,he's basically taking the **** out of you if he knows sit etc
As for a training programme,each dog comes on at different rates,down to you to read your dog and suss this out
I'd be going back to basics with him and take your time and bond with the dog,WHV are pups until they are about 2
If you struggle PM me,I may be able to help you
ATB

Many thanks for the offer, your name came up the other night with Jamross.
Totally agree with you,but the breeder I got him from says that this is the way they train in Europe?
But back to basics is what is happening now.

Regards

DavieH

Davie what i did with my VIZ was get a few old pigeons from the boys who keep them and put them in a old upside down shopping basket with a string on it. I would go back get buck on a long line and let him move in. Soon as he was on point i would pull the string and he would go for the flapping bird. but him being on a line made sure he got what he didn't like they are not long in learning. drop to flush you don't need a drop to shot.

BUCK STEADY ON A GRAY HEN ;)

GROUSEPOINT.jpg

Great photo 6P!!

My HWV biggest vice was chasing, I got him as an adult and the damage was done, he would point and flush then chase the blooming thing for two fields. So, yes, nip it in the bud asap.

Alright

I would have a similar problem with a 12mnth old GWP:banghead: but i jist dinae allow him the opportunity. Like the others have said back to basics and even if he has the basics, the dog will have to build up a trust (depending how long u've had it) wi u and learn to take orders from u. U dinae say wot ur wanting it for? deer/pointing/rough shooting.

If its for purely deer work it should be a bit easier as i'd imagine should always be walking to heel or possibly tracking on a line so ur always in control.

I'm having a bit off bother with mine as i want it to quarter at distance and seemingly if u do to much obedience with them too young they won't fully get on(so a few off the hpr triallers tell me, and i also slightly encouraged mine to chase when very young :cuckoo: wished i'd never now, another trialler tip) so i'm trying to encourage it to quarter at distance but i'm being very careful so only in certain areas where i know are well fenced, little game and no rabbits (sometimes put my other dogs throu some bits first) and he's on a long line and i'm doing a bit off running after the little ***t.

But bottom line if i blow the stop whistle i HAVE to enforce it, if u can't get after him and catch ur better off not blowing it and letting him away with it that time rather than teaching him he can disobey u/whistle; but be prepared for next time, or better still set it up so u can catch/enforce it and put things in ur favour. Somone mentioned the dizzied pigeons which would work althou if ur not wanting it to point jist discourage it from pointing full stop or only reward it when it points deer

Like i say i know ur hell :cry::banghead: but u do have to nip in bud now or will only get worse esp if he starts chasing ground game.
Good luck with it but the best way with hpr's (or my gwp) seems to be slow and steady and jist very small steps at a time and keep plodding

Last edited:
Training A Hungarian Wirehaired Vizla

First thing is to take a deep breath.This is a HWV the most complicated living being in the world.
Things to remember
1.They are sensitive little flowers shouting and bawling does not work as they will curl up and die.
2.They will never ever grow up and are the Peter Pan/Cliff Richards of the dog world.
3.They either work or they don't.bad hair day,vibes wrong etc.
4.Flatcoats are easy compared with them.
5.Your lead

so answer to problem ( Hollow laugh)

1.Remember to Put on a lead
2.Remember re inforce the stop whistle (always useful when rifle is up your nose,roe sack is slipping and boots are full of water)
3.Remember it is a pup
4.Remember it will be no good until it is at least two and a half
5.Remember the Hungarians start formal training at 18 months (best advise I was given)
6.Remember to slow down let it play it has obviously been taught to chase anything it can to encourage its hunting instinct.
7.Remember never put the pup in a situation you cant control.
8.Remember to count to ten and breath calmly
9.Remember iti s a pup (go back to No 3 and start again)
10.Remember it is a HWV anyone who does not own one or has even owned one has no idea.It is a HWV so treat it like one.

Have fun it will get better.PM me if you want

Kit

DOG FOR SALE - Only joking.
My sincere thanks to everybody that has replied.
All of your replies are of the same thought.
He is a great natured dog and I only want the best for him.
Back to basics.

ATB

DavieH

Davie what i did with my VIZ was get a few old pigeons from the boys who keep them and put them in a old upside down shopping basket with a string on it. I would go back get buck on a long line and let him move in. Soon as he was on point i would pull the string and he would go for the flapping bird. but him being on a line made sure he got what he didn't like they are not long in learning. drop to flush you don't need a drop to shot.

BUCK STEADY ON A GRAY HEN ;)

GROUSEPOINT.jpg

I think they call that running when only 2 feet on the ground 6pointer :D

12months old is young to have a Vis on game even for a pro. So take is slow as everyone says.
The hard bit to work out is when to start them on game.
Mines 20mths now and will sit or recall to the whistle well over 100m off but if she thinks she can chase and get away with it she will.
If I think there will be game about I have her on a line but they always find game the minute you let them off.:doh:
Pigeons or local keeper who will allow you round the pens/deer park will help to teach steadiness.
I'm a long way off with my pup so no expert.
Good luck.

Davie, Youv'e bought a 12 month old dog with a 12 month history. If his previous owners have encouraged him to chase you are going to have to go back to basics and retrain. This could be successful but working against you is the excitment and enjoyment this dog has learned through being allowed/encouraged/trained to chase. Go right back to the beginning and stay clear of any situation whereby he gets the chance to chase. Once he is 100% reliable without game slowly reintroduce game but be ever vigilent of his slightest inclination to run. If you can get access to a rabbit pen all the better. Getting hold of a dog in an enclosed space is easier than trying to run him down over several fields. This could be a long slow process.

DavieH, I'd agree with a lot of the suggestions already given about going back to basics. I have a young HWV which I recently enroled along with myself at a HPR gundog club, you get to meet a lot of likeminded people covering a broad spectrum of shooting disciplines, we have monthly training sessions where your dog is going to be subjected to all sorts of distractions, if it can sit, stay, drop to a whistle at distance, retrieve dummies, etc with all the distractions of other dogs and people running about, then I believe it can only help in teaching your dog to be steady and pay attention to your commands. If you have any self doubt there are trainers on hand to guide you and you can progress on through to live game.

Good luck, nice looking HWV by the way.

Back