Expanding ammo

norfolk shooter

I have an open ticket for 22lr and then at the bottom it says i can get expanding. However it doesnt state what cal!! I only ask as i hope to do some stalking soon and would like to load up some 30-06 with the requiered projectile. Would I be able to get the bullets needed for the job?? or would my ticket need to go off for amendment?? (thats going to take another 2 months with norfolk)

Do you have a 30-06 on ticket at the moment ? If so then no, you can't aquire expanding ammo or bullets and you'll need to send your ticket in for the change. Also check the conditions imposed on your use of the rifle don't preclude you shooting deer !

As baconbuttie says if your certificate is already conditioned so that you may use your .30-06 for deer stalking then you have the necessary authority to possess expanding bullets and ammunition in that calibre. It's normal for the specific calibre to be mentioned as regard to expanding missiles but this isn't always included as police forces "sometimes" tend to do things differently. If your certificate isn't conditioned for using the .30-06 for deer stalking I'm afraid that you will need to apply for a variation but the good thing is that such a variation should be free of charge.

Time to call the FEO!!!

Hmmm!

I going to stick my neck out here and offer a bit of advice (and say why)

FEO's are in the business of gathering information and otherwise, through various means, "processing" applicants' applications to the purpose of issuing FACs. They are NOT service providers to said applicants and they only may, or indeed may not, have assisting the applicant as their objective. Many would appear to have an entirely different objective in mind.

If you require information I advise you to seek it from organisations whose function IS to provide service to you.

Once you have the right advice then submit your application correctly. (or in this case "variation")

Any other course of action is an invitation to the risk of "tampering" and the exercise of whim and fancy, or blacker motive, on the part of an issuing authority.

Why allow that situation to arise?

I'm sure the vast majority of "problems", with Firearms Licensing Offices, reported on this site could easily be avoided by adhering to the above advice and opinion. For what it's worth.

Definately call your FEO. If it doesn't state it clearly you can't do it. I've seen plenty of tickets with a centre fire conditioned for deer but not allowed to purchase expanding, nearly always a mistake from the licensing authority so it will be put right. Call them.

Definately call your FEO. If it doesn't state it clearly you can't do it. I've seen plenty of tickets with a centre fire conditioned for deer but not allowed to purchase expanding, nearly always a mistake from the licensing authority so it will be put right. Call them.

Call him?

And what?

Show that your reading and comprehension is that of an infant or imbecile?

Have an unrecorded and entirely deniable "conversation" that will waste time and require to be repeated in writing anyway?

If you want a "buddy" to bounce ideas off join a shooting organisation and get advice that's actually meant to serve you.

Hmmm!

I going to stick my neck out here and offer a bit of advice (and say why)

FEO's are in the business of gathering information and otherwise, through various means, "processing" applicants' applications to the purpose of issuing FACs. They are NOT service providers to said applicants and they only may, or indeed may not, have assisting the applicant as their objective. Many would appear to have an entirely different objective in mind.

If you require information I advise you to seek it from organisations whose function IS to provide service to you.

Once you have the right advice then submit your application correctly. (or in this case "variation")

Any other course of action is an invitation to the risk of "tampering" and the exercise of whim and fancy, or blacker motive, on the part of an issuing authority.

Why allow that situation to arise?

I'm sure the vast majority of "problems", with Firearms Licensing Offices, reported on this site could easily be avoided by adhering to the above advice and opinion. For what it's worth.

Tamus,
Superbly written my friend and i agree with you 100%, i have been saying this sort of thing for years and people still do not want take notice.
I liken FEOs to doctors receptionists. if you know what i mean.

Ian.

As the lawful shooting of deer requires that expanding ammunition is mandatory, then it should follow that if your rifle is conditioned for the shooting of deer, then you have the right to purchase this ammunition in the calibre suitable for the rifle on ticket.

As the lawful shooting of deer requires that expanding ammunition is mandatory, then it should follow that if your rifle is conditioned for the shooting of deer, then you have the right to purchase this ammunition in the calibre suitable for the rifle on ticket.

You go into a gunshop and try buy some expanding ammo with an FAC that doesn't specifically state expanding ammo. I bet you'd have a job on explaining that because you have 'deer' written in you can buy some?

Tom

I do not think I have enough information from the original poster to be able to offer him any advice.
I note that my S5 ammunition authority states that I 'may possess, purchase or acquire...in the calibres authorised by this certificate'.

It goes on to state that I may use them only in connction with the activities a,b,c and d with which we're all familiar.

This suggests to me that in my case, I may lawfully purchase and possess .357 Magnum expanding ammunition for my lever-action rifle. However, since I hold the rifle only for target shooting on ranges I would not be able lawfully to use such ammunition, as target-shooting is not covered by a,b,c or d.

If the OP has authority to hold .30-06 ammunition, and his S5 authority like mine authorises the purchase of expanding ammunition/missiles for all the calibres on the certificate, then perhaps he may indeed buy expanding .30-06 missiles and make ammunition of them

I submit for consideration (rather than for action, please note!) that even if his .30-06 were conditioned for target use only, he could nevertheless use such expanding ammunition on a range to shoot at a target, as this activity would arguably be 'in connection with the lawful shooting of deer' under the circumstances described, i.e. that the OP is intending to have his .30-06 conditioned for deer in the near future and wishes to test ammunition suitable for that purpose.

What do you think?

Dalua
I disagree about using the 30-06 in connection with deer on a range. Without the condition on your ticket you would not be able to use the ammo on the assumption that you may in future be granted the condition.
Whenever talking about firearms law, never fall into the the trap of assuming that common sense has any place in the statute books. We have the most complicated and restrictive firearms legislation anyone could possibly imagine. I have studied certain aspects of the law in great depth, and am only 90% sure of the law. The average plod has no idea, and that includes FEOs. This is not a dig at them, as most of them try their best, just a statement of fact.

Tamus
Your assumptions are wildly incorrect as the OP does not state what exactly is written on the ticket. My suggestion therefore to ring the FEO to clarify what was written was wholly correct. I stand by that advice.

Tamus
Your assumptions are wildly incorrect as the OP does not state what exactly is written on the ticket. My suggestion therefore to ring the FEO to clarify what was written was wholly correct. I stand by that advice.

I'm not sure which assumption of Tamus you identify as being incorrect, but I think you're quite right about us not knowing what is on the OP's FAC: and that is really the important thing, rather than what his FEO thinks it might mean.
We have surely heared enough yarns of FACs stating one thing and FEOs saying that they actually mean something else to excercise caution in relying solely on verbal interpretations from FEOs.

Pilgrim
I believe you are closer to the mark.

I think he is, too.

Dalua
Apologies, my wording may not have been correct.

Suggesting that because the gentleman in question may not quite understand the wording on his certificate does not make him an imbecile, neither does suggesting that the FEO would be of no help and would deny everything.

I have an open ticket for 22lr and then at the bottom it says i can get expanding. However it doesnt state what cal!! I only ask as i hope to do some stalking soon and would like to load up some 30-06 with the requiered projectile. Would I be able to get the bullets needed for the job?? or would my ticket need to go off for amendment?? (thats going to take another 2 months with norfolk)

This is what i have on my recent FAC from norfolk firearms dept

photo.jpg

This is what i have on my recent FAC from norfolk firearms dept

I don't think that is your actual authority to purchase, acquire and possess expanding stuff, though. I think that's just the bit that says how many rounds/bullets you can buy and keep.

Back